Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London pirate radio - news and discussion

You should be able to pick it up at a bargain price if you want to buy it - I saw it in Morrisons for about £3!

Just looking at the new Kool FM site (a work in progress) http://www.koollondon.com/main/
webcam - i like it! studio looks pretty professional

*been watching a bit today - theyve made it hard to be a dj - got to mix, look at the msns, read out texts and mix at the same time - thats a lot of multitasking! beyond me thats for sure... i guess thats where mcs come in handy - been tuned in all day today and not one mc - a new policy? not complaining! the odd good mc is good, but we all now about the motermouths

**one more bit of Kool FM gossip - Dj ROn is back on Friday at 11pm! Havent heard it yet, but will do for certain

Ive uploaded my favourite pirate radio tapes from the hardcore/jungle/dnb pirates between 1991 and 1995 - fill your boots!
Side B
Side B
Side B
Summer '94: jungle had just blown up in the media, Fabio & Grooverider had just played their first legal shows on Kiss FM, and Ron was in the spotlight - you can feel the excitement of it all on this one, with Ron playing his unique style along side mcs Moose and a hyper Five-0 going mad on an echo unit
Side A
Side B
http://mikusmusik.blogspot.com/2010/10/dusty-tapes-london-pirates-1991-1995.html

Just looking at the new Kool FM site (a work in progress) http://www.koollondon.com/main/
webcam - i like it! studio looks pretty professional

*been watching a bit today - theyve made it hard to be a dj - got to mix, look at the msns, read out texts and mix at the same time - thats a lot of multitasking! beyond me thats for sure... i guess thats where mcs come in handy - been tuned in all day today and not one mc - a new policy? not complaining! the odd good mc is good, but we all now about the motermouths

**one more bit of Kool FM gossip - Dj ROn is back on Friday at 11pm! Havent heard it yet, but will do for certain

DJ Ron, wow! cheers, propa nostalgia
got to get my internet at home fixed just for that :cool:

DJ Ron, wow! cheers, propa nostalgia
got to get my internet at home fixed just for that :cool:
yeah they're really plugging it on kool - theyve even done a remix of Ron's African Chant :) Kool Renaissance? their website still has no schedule - im curious who else is on the roster these days...
im addicted to the koolfm webcam...

Dont know if anyone is interested, but Ive just spotted that according to the origin fm website Mixmaster Max is on Origin on Sundays at 10-Midnight <I think he goes down as my favourite dj - i'll report back if its true and if its worth checking out

Don't know for sure, although from my list above, Station FM and Lightning have both been on since about 1989/90.

The one I listen to most, used to be Ragga FM and had the best Rast breakfast show ever, all the guns don't kill people, people kill people is a bit of a drag but hey, and I don't really think I'm ever going to go to an event at the Imperial Banqueting Sweet Tottenham but if thats your thing make hay or something.

Is the London scene still as scary as it used to be? I remember a mate who DJed on one from a flat on the Pepys estate, and the door was super-reinforced, concreted in loads of places, and when he asked if it was to prevent the DTI from getting in, he was told 'Nah, it's to stop the other pirate crews mashing us up' :eek:

Ty Holden on Girls FM... Girls FM... Girls FM... (echoes)

I ripped some cassettes I had from back in the day and there's still online available for download - check this thread on Discogs, even got some partial tracklistings there:
http://www.discogs.com/groups/topic/179796

Plus LOADS more Girls FM tape rips that I did for a friend here:
http://www.discogs.com/groups/topic/186367

Enjoy!

I briefly had a show on Girls FM before it all went bellyup. It was in the days of when we were based in a Tower block in Camberwell. Girls FM was a good station, a lot of the early DJ's went on to quite big things. Kenny Hawkes was one of the major succeses from the station.

I remember when KISS FM was a pirate back n the days when it had Norman Jay, Paul Trouble Anderson, Gilles Peterson & Patrick Forge on the roster, those were the days!!!

^ you missed Steve Jackson

For sure, Tim Westwood also had a show, as did Roy The Roach, Coldcut, Jazzie B, Manessah Sound System, George Power, Colin Faver, Nicky Holloway, the list of legends could go on & on.

Back then the scene was so god damn fresh, every weekend there was legendary parties kicking regardless of the genre of Music.

In case Fozzie Bear doesnt post this, heres from his blog - looks amazing - but how can we get to see it?

Tape Crackers, 2009, dir. Rollo Jackson
February 4, 2011, 3:43 pm

thumbnail1.jpg

I saw this last night at the ICA. It was billed as “an oral history of Jungle music and an affectionate, touching, and, at times, incredibly funny, tale of bedroom obsessiveness.”

The film consists of London pirate radio taper Michael Finch running through a carrier bag of cassette tapes in his flat. It is so simple, it’s quite brilliant. The film is completely carried by two elements:

1) The awesome music and MC-ing on the tapes (covering late ‘ardkore in around 1993, through a lot of jungle and drum ‘n’ bass, ending with a dip into garage and proto grime circa 2000).

2) Michael’s awesomely life-affirming enthusiasm and knowledge about the stations, MCs, DJs and music.

I was worried by the “incredibly funny” billing in the blurb because it’s all too easy to mock obsessives (and I feel a bit defensive, being one myself!) but the humour and the film itself are both blissfully free of ironic piss-taking. People laugh when Michael gets distracted from his commentary because he has to nod his head and smile a lot when a bassline comes in because they know exactly what that feels like.

Some of us in the audience burst out laughing at his run-down of old school cassettes with metal screws in, because we remember that too. It’s that basic level of empathy that seems lacking in so much music criticism and coverage these days.

During the Q&A afterwards (hosted by Derek Walmsley from The Wire) Rollo made the point that he is often disappointed by the standard BBC4 music documentary format in which former stars relive their youth. He made the point that talking to punters with a broader overview of the scene (and their love for it intact) was perhaps a more effective way to go about showing the history. On the evidence of “Tape Crackers” he certainly has a point.
http://www.uncarved.org/blog/2011/02/tape-crackers-2009-dir-rollo-jackson/

I used to like Sunrise. Heard 'Pacific State' for the first time on that. All the 'keep it locked' stuff used to make me chuckle. :D

Back
Top Bottom