Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London pirate radio - news and discussion

Not one station on that list would play music I would want to listen to.

The fact that you wouldnt want to listen to...

r'n'b
soul
reggae
hip-hop
house
ragga
drum'n'bass
soca
r'n'b
garage
jungle
soul
hip-hop
grime
or dubstep

...and feel the need to tell us all says alot,I think.

Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow! :cool:

Will these be up for a bit, pinkychukkles? - my connection is dreadful at home but I'll be on a d/l frenzy next week from work!!

:D

i never listened to the pirates much - didn't like the constant interruptions and the crackling signal and i found out about music through other channels. i've never been a big radio fan anyway.
not sure i see the point of them these day, what with podcasts/online mixes n shit.

Because, as mentioned earlier, you can't listen to them in a car.

only problem with pirates is when you're trying to sing along to some middle of the road crap like Don Henley on radio 2 and the beat from some pirate keeps breaking through:

And i can see you
Duh D-Duh D-Duh
your brown skin shining in the sun
Duh D-Duh D-Duh
you got your hair combed back
Duh Duh Duh
sunglasses on baby

and i can tell you
my love for you will still be strong
D-Duh D-Duh
after the boys of summer have gone.
D-D-Duh Duh Duh D-Duh

I could record a podcast, burn it onto a cd and then play it in a car but that would detract from the spontaneity of listening to a random pirate (or conventional) dj. Plus I might get bored and want to change channel or I might move into a different area with a different station. Think there's still a place for radio

But then I'm still listening to my own music. i haven't got an ipod but my brother's got one with thousands and thousands of songs on it but I've listened to it enough now such that I struggle to find something I haven't already listened to. It doesn't matter how many thousands of songs you record onto a recording device, you'll always reach a point where you've heard them all. Random dj is better (although I agree the talking over the music is annoying esp. on pirates)

But then I'm still listening to my own music. i haven't got an ipod but my brother's got one with thousands and thousands of songs on it but I've listened to it enough now such that I struggle to find something I haven't already listened to. It doesn't matter how many thousands of songs you record onto a recording device, you'll always reach a point where you've heard them all. Random dj is better (although I agree the talking over the music is annoying esp. on pirates)
hmm, we obviously listen differently. i have hundreds of mixes and podcasts on my ipod and i rotate a lot of them too as i download so many; i'll never ever catch up with them. this is another reason why i don't want to get started on radio, cos there aren't enough hours in the day!

i never listened to the pirates much - didn't like the constant interruptions and the crackling signal and i found out about music through other channels. i've never been a big radio fan anyway.
not sure i see the point of them these day, what with podcasts/online mixes n shit.

its fair criticism - though not all pirate shows have constant manic mcs on them - rinse do a good job in general on that front i think. personally i like the crackling signal! (though most often the signal is solid).

i fell in love with pirates because they were playing the music i wanted to hear nonstop - brand new tunes you would never get to hear anywhere else but a club- very exciting to hear a scene being created infron of your very ears. rinse holds that excitement for me today. the internet is a game changer (a point made in that little video i posted on page 3) though lots of people - believe it or not - dont have all the hitech gear and still have radios, still have radios in cars, and even if they have net access listen to the radio through streams.

listening to djs live has its own feeling of excitement - its live and direct - and you cant fake that. you join in with a live and living expereince in a way that you cant do with a podcast, mix etc. though i msut admit that the difference isnt that huge.

even with a 'radio' station like our 'umble little u75 radio i like that act of turning on and not necessarily knowing what your going to get and letting the station do the quality control and dictate what your going to hear without having to choose. its all about choice theses days, and sometimes its nice to be told what to do!

*one things for sure, london runs pirate radio like nowhere else in the world! as i said earlier, its part of what it means to live in london for me...

Select & S-Dance have made a lot of x-London car journeys stuck in traffic bearable, not to mention the D&B stations.

Select & S-Dance have made a lot of x-London car journeys stuck in traffic bearable, not to mention the D&B stations.
icon14.gif

I quite like S Dance too - seems to be mc free. I have a feeling teh shows are prerecorded (sometimes they play cds) - though im not tuned in all the time, so maybe at different times its more live.

oh, and the reggea pirates dont have too much chatting on them - but i wish they would play some roots and dub.

There is still room for improvement on the pirate scene - there is still a lack of rare groove, jazz, conscious roots + dub across the airwaves - definitely room for another more adult station out there. Although i never heard it, it would be great if there was an updated Kiss in the mould of the old pirate.

Be very interesting to see if the wifi revolution (as in south Korea mentioned earlier) happens - that would really open things up.

The fact that you wouldnt want to listen to...

r'n'b
soul
reggae
hip-hop
house
ragga
drum'n'bass
soca
r'n'b
garage
jungle
soul
hip-hop
grime
or dubstep

...and feel the need to tell us all says alot,I think.

Does it? :confused:

Great thread, btw, folks. Haven't listened to the pirates for quite some time but am now tempted. Only thing that put me off in the past was the call outs and all the chatter over the actual tracks.

oh, and the reggea pirates dont have too much chatting on them - but i wish they would play some roots and dub.

Try checking Conscious 106.9, ska.

I find most of the reggae pirates a bit bland these days - even Station and Vibes don't seem to have that variety and energy they once did.

Try checking Conscious 106.9, ska.

I find most of the reggae pirates a bit bland these days - even Station and Vibes don't seem to have that variety and energy they once did.

thanks a lot steph - agree with you about station and vibes - not sure if ican pick up concious in SE london - i think i did stumble across it once in east...

I think this might be the website for it http://www.conciousradio.com/ has an embedded player - gonna listen to it now at work! take that mister bossman! :D

Excellent 20 min video about london pirates if you have the time - nicely produced

http://www.londonpirates.co.uk/LondonPiratesVideo.htm#ooid=IyOGJhMTr1f8Sr_x0BDKUJXr-uruF9Dr

by the way i just noticed that dBridge, alix perez and zinc are all singed up to the new rinse fm roster! (zinc may have been on there for a bit) rinse backs minimal dnb
still awaiting rinse returns to the airwaves...

Just got chance to watch the video - very interesting, thanks for posting the link.
I really appreciate the pirates who still broadcast on the radio as I don't have a pc at home. There's some good music being played out there and it's constantly changing - there's a Dubstep station recently gone on the air.

Just got chance to watch the video - very interesting, thanks for posting the link.
its good isnt it? the bit where they sail out to the radio caroline 'towers' is pretty mad - i guess its all in that film about radio caroline that just got made - anyone seen that?

londallforts1-650x433.jpg

its good isnt it? the bit where they sail out to the radio caroline 'towers' is pretty mad - i guess its all in that film about radio caroline that just got made - anyone seen that?

londallforts1-650x433.jpg

You don't mean that Boat that Rocked film?
I haven't seen it but it had bad reviews all round saying that, what could have been an interesting subject was spoiled by being a silly storyline (more or less). I don't think it was specifically about Caroline though.

Those sea fort things are amazing!

Back
Top Bottom