Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Anarchist Bookfair 2023/24

steeplejack

trapped lbw for a duck
Following some interesting chat on the 2022 thread and the long running "anarchist but not a member of an anarchist organisation" threads this weekend it's time for the 2023 Bookfair thread.

There have been some whoppers in this series - the windmilling 3,000 post inconclusive dogfight of 2020, the "disinclined" stall scandal of last year, and a whole host of previous imbroglios involving soundsystems, going from pub to pub asking if folk are a particular username on urban75, lifestylist girning, hi-vis feyness & obfuscation, culture war seepage, etc.

I'm looking forward to going and buying some books and hearing some talks, maybe even meeting some actual people. Should be fun. What are folks looking forward to this year?

Seriously it may be time to set up an anarcho-coach service for events the trains are that expensive. £50 for an open Ipswich-London ticket FFS.
Just looked at Scotrail:
Glasgow to London
Prices from
£85.20
ONE-WAY

Add to that overnight expenses, and time, and it’s out of reach really.

Say what you like about the SWP (really, say what you like), but they were good at organising coaches.

Just looked at Scotrail:
Glasgow to London
Prices from
£85.20
ONE-WAY

Add to that overnight expenses, and time, and it’s out of reach really.

Say what you like about the SWP (really, say what you like), but they were good at organising coaches.
Assuming you have a senior pass it can be cheaper than that RailUK Tickets, powered by Trainsplit suggests no change and £65 return.

How old does everyone think I am, ffs?!
Well, okay then, I'll pick up the old age and/or disability baton: not great having the bookfair over 4 sites. I'm sure the sites are all accessible, but that doesn't match the reality of getting around.

I'll probably be attending and hope to meet a few urbs, so none of that is some kind of disguised attack on the organisers. Same time it is a bit thoughtless. Though, having organised similar but smaller events I'll also happily acknowledge that putting these things together is hard work.

I might get a day return down there as I can't be arsed driving to the Smoke. I might still have an oyster card somewhere but can't remember how it works.

How does the tube work? Can I get a day ticket?
Depending where you are coming from it may be a good deal to get a return with all zones travel card but usually it is cheaper to just use contactless or oyster as you will be in zones 1 and two and the contactless / oyster is capped to the same price as a days travel card. If you use a Railcard then that will currently get you a discount off travelcards.

How does the tube work? Can I get a day ticket?

You can pay with your bank card when swiping in and out and it will (genuinely) charge you the best deal.

but make sure you use the same bank card at each stage, or it will confuse the system and you will pay more than you should.

buses are cheaper than the tube, you just touch in when you get on, no need to do anything when you get off. if you change buses within an hour, you need to swipe again, but don't get charged more. again, there's a daily price cap.

You can use your phone also for contactless. DO make sure you swipe out though otherwise it’ll just apply the biggest charge.

but even if phone and card are on the same account, don't use both for the same journey / day as that can confuse the system as well

Back
Top Bottom