Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Loic Remy arrested on suspicion of gang rape

I think the connection is that footballers and rape make headlines. The media will keep coverage calm and considered but consistent.

That'll change if he's charged.

Indeed. More often than not the case against these guys are thrown out of court. A footballer must be thick as fuck to take part in something like that in the first place though. Setting himself up for trouble.
so you're still talking out your arse then?

i'm sure you don't need me to trawl back through the sordid entrails of recent football history to prove my point? all though, of course, it goes much much wider and deeper than that.

FFS - what is the point of this thread? Both the alleged victim and alleged perpetrator are entitled to a fair trial. Until there is a verdict, what is the point of even commenting on the allegations?

FFS - what is the point of this thread? Both the alleged victim and alleged perpetrator are entitled to a fair trial. Until there is a verdict, what is the point of even commenting on the allegations?

You may have noticed the forum name. It is "news and current affairs". This comes under both of those categories. You'll also note that there is no mention of any charges in the article. This means that there is no trial, and we're free to talk about whatever we want (subject to the normal rules about defamation, libel and whatnot).

If you don't like it, put the thread on ignore.

Wot, no thread? I did a search.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22537941

What is it with football and rape?

I'm not sure it's purely a football-related phenomenon. It's more of a "pack mentality"-related problem that patriarchy facilitates. That we hear about footballers doing it may be merely a function of the "celebrity", whereas we don't tend to hear about the classmates who do it or the workmates who do it to quite such an extent.

"more often than not these cases are thrown out of court"

apologist. excuser. denier.

ooooookkkkaaayyyyyyy.....

dick.

While gabi's language is, as ever, terse to the point of nonsense, his point has more than one context. besides a context of denial is a context of realism - rape cases are often "thrown out" for procedural reasons (for example the CPS having a change of heart about whether the evidence suits their cost/benefit analysis in prosecuting the case).

Is it true they are more often than not thrown out of court?

More often than not, they don't make it as far as court, but of those that do, about 25% are discontinued for procedural reasons. :(
It's not "more often than not", but added to the cases that don't meet the CPS standards for taking forward a proscecution, then a majority of reported cases don't end up being prosecuted. Sometimes they don't even lie on file. :(

You may have noticed the forum name. It is "news and current affairs". This comes under both of those categories. You'll also note that there is no mention of any charges in the article. This means that there is no trial, and we're free to talk about whatever we want (subject to the normal rules about defamation, libel and whatnot).

If you don't like it, put the thread on ignore.

You may be free to talk about it legally, subject to the restrictions that you mention (and which some of the posts on this thread may well infringe already), but it doesn't mean to say that I have to like the fact that you're doing so or refrain from commenting about the fact that you do so. Some of the posts on here are already making assumptions, express or implied, about the guilt of the alleged perpetrator or the veracity of the alleged victim. I detest those who start presuming to comment on the merits of criminal allegations without knowing jack-shit about the facts of the case or the evidence.

You may be free to talk about it legally, subject to the restrictions that you mention (and which some of the posts on this thread may well infringe already), but it doesn't mean to say that I have to like the fact that you're doing so or refrain from commenting about the fact that you do so. Some of the posts on here are already making assumptions, express or implied, about the guilt of the alleged perpetrator or the veracity of the alleged victim. I detest those who start presuming to comment on the merits of criminal allegations without knowing jack-shit about the facts of the case or the evidence.

That's fair enough, but don't blame me for that. There's nothing in the OP which either assumes guilt or any of the other things you mention.

Wot, no thread? I did a search.

QPR striker Loic Remy arrested in gang rape investigation

What is it with football and rape?

Given the allegations made against Mr Rémy, perhaps these articles should also be added to the thread:

"Loïc Rémy will face no further action after he was arrested over rape claims."

14 February 2014: Loïc Rémy to face no further action over rape allegations

"Loïc Rémy, the on-loan Newcastle United striker who was cleared of rape allegations last month, has spoken for the first time about his arrest, describing girls that target wealthy footballers as “greedy and vicious” ..."

12 March 2014: Premier League star Loïc Rémy on gang rape allegations: 'Girls can be greedy and vicious

Back
Top Bottom