Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Local Elections 2023

QueenOfGoths

Fuck you Dave!
I know not every council is involved but thought I'd start a thread for those that are.

So far in RBWM the Tories, who currently control the council by 3 votes, are running scared and have resorted to setting up a page called "I ❤ Maidenhead" upon which they produce glossy YouTube videos of the river and open spaces but not mentioning the financial mismanagement that led to the council being almost bankrupt.

This below caused much frothing at the mouth from Tories who saw it as "an incitement to hate" and reported it to Thames Valley Police

FB_IMG_1681224794751.jpg

And I've been blocked by one of my ward councillors for asking if they supported Boris Johnson and Suella Braverman!!

Let the games begin!

For the first time in history Labour took control of Worthing Borough Council last year, the Tories were hammered worst then anyone was expecting, the current make-up is 23 Labour councillors, 13 Tories, and 1 LD.

Labour is expected to take even more seats this year.

ETA - It's even more incredible because 5 or 6 years ago Labour didn't have a single seat!

Last edited:
True Blue Yokeland has 36 councillors, 16 Labour, 16 Conservatives and 4 Independents(Westminster wise solid blue seat). They're all up for election this year. It will be interesting to see what happens. Wheeler actually increased her majority in 2019. My ward has 3 Tories but we're a lost cause anyway.

True Blue Yokeland has 36 councillors, 16 Labour, 16 Conservatives and 4 Independents(Westminster wise solid blue seat). They're all up for election this year. It will be interesting to see what happens. Wheeler actually increased her majority in 2019. My ward has 3 Tories but we're a lost cause anyway.
My ward has two Tories one of whom is the Tory whip (who blocked me). I think he is likely to get back in but the LibDems have a chance at getting the other seat.

Labour sadly have little chance of gaining any council seats even with my vote!

Here in Tandridge (East Surrey) we currently have the grouping known as the 'Independents and Oxted & Limpsfield Residents Group Alliance' (IND & OLRGA, for short!) running a minority administration with 17 councillors. Then there are 11 LibDems, 10 Tories and 3 (real) independents. There's a vacant ward seat which was previously held by IND & OLRGA. Historically it's a true blue Tory district but they lost control as a result of financial mismanagement and attempting to encourage/allow more development in the south of the district. The rise of OLRGA in the south is primarily down to the unwanted development in the south. So there's a north/south divide with OLRGA picking off the Tories in the south and the LibDems slowly replacing the Tories in the north.

I've not really been paying attention to local politics but I suspect that with just 1/3 of the council up for re-election we aren't likely to see massive changes. With current polling on a national level seeing the support for the Tories so low it's possible that OLRGA might gain ground in the south and the LibDems in the north but I can't see it changing from N.O.C really.

Londoners don't have locals this year, so I'm watching my old Mum's ward down in Kent. Her Swale ward is an interesting and genuine 3-way tussle between the 3 main parties. I'm not sure how unusual that it in locals, but I'm not surprised to hear that she's already fed up with the leaflets and door-knocking!

1681230439660.png

Wokingham is currently lib dem minority administration (with labour support), local ward is now fairly solid lib dem (it's the sort of council where there's an election 3 years out of 4 rather than 1 every 4 years)

possible strengthening of lib dem base?

dunno

not sure i want to encourage any of them - or the voter suppression measures - by voting.

meh.

Don't think any of Northumberland seats at county nor parish level are voting this time around.

I'll watch for the results in other areas. It could be very, very interesting ...
As I suspect that the true blue are going to get hammered, but what's the alternative ? slightly less blue or what ?

My ward has 2 Labour councillors. Only one Tory standing.
NOC overall for the borough, though.

Labour need to win 4 seats to take Sheffield back into full control.

Their main campaigning tactics seems to be spreading the (entirely true) rumour that the person seen running naked down one of the main roads into town is the leader of the Greens on the council.

Last edited:
This is an odd local council.
The actual city of Winchester is pretty solidly LibDem. But the council area covers a vast swathe of true blue rural Hampshire. It will be interesting, ahead of the GE to see how well the tory vote holds up. The local tory MP has been in the news for breaking various rules (probably a massive shrug from tories) and our rivers have been polluted (which may actually have pissed off enough rural tories for their vote to plunge)
LibDem hold.

Coventry currently has 38 labour 15 tory and 1 green. A third of the seats are up for election (18 out of 54). Of the seats up for election 14 are labour and 4 are tory.
So it seems very unlikely labour will lose control as they would need to lose almost every seat they are contesting although who knows what effect the new photo ID rules will have? :hmm:

Labour need to win 4 seats to take Sheffield back into full control.

Their main campaigning tactics seems to be spreading the (entirely true) rumour that the person seen running naked down one of the main roads into town is the leader of the Greens on the council.

That is amazing.

Greens will be looking to break through in all sorts of places in Labour/Con or Lib Dem and if they lose seats in Sheffield to Labour that'll be a bit embarrassing. But they're in a coalition with Labour there and Labour can be good at dirty trick campaigning so I guess it is one to watch.

Here in Reading the Greens will be hoping to defend their seats/grab a couple more from Labour (defending two in my ward). TUSC have put up a fair few candidates.
Mate of mine is standing for Labour for the first time. Not sure whether my other mate on the council has to defend his seat this year. They are both good lefties.

The tories lost overall control here at the last election for the first time in a thousand years.

There's not one, not two but three groups not tied to a party - independent, non-aligned and ungrouped. No idea what the difference is

From the Vote UK forum shared above and of interest to the forum:

What's become of the 19 Labour councillors reported as deselected

Ruma Ali (Humberstone and Hamilton) standing for TUSC in Evington
Padmini Chamund (Belgrave) standing as Independent in Belgrave
Luis Fonseca (North Evington) -
Stephan Gee (Thurncourt) -
Rashmikant Joshi (North Evington) standing for Conservatives in Evington
Shahid Khan (Evington) standing as Independent in Spinney Hills
Patrick Kitterick (Castle) standing for Greens in Castle
Kirk Master (Stoneygate) standing as Independent in Stoneygate
Jacky Nangreave (Westcotes) standing as Independent in Westcotes
Rita Patel (Rushey Mead) standing as Independent in Rushey Mead (and for the Mayoralty)
Hemant Rae Bhatia (Beaumont Leys) standing for Conservatives in Beaumont Leys
Sharmen Rahman (Stoneygate) standing as Independent in Stoneygate
Gurinder Singh Sandhu (Humberstone and Hamilton) standing for Labour after all in Rushey Mead
Deborah Sangster (Castle)
Nita Solanki (Belgrave) standing as Independent in Belgrave
Aminur Thalukdar (Stoneygate) standing as Independent in Stoneygate
Mahendra Valand (Belgrave) standing as Independent in Belgrave
Paul Westley (Beaumont Leys) standing for Conservatives in Beaumont Leys
Ross Willmott (Rushey Mead) standing as Independent in Rushey Mead

Nor did they, probably. I've met some TUSC candidates, all good people but lord knows that micro-Left horse is flogged to death. And I say that willing to vote for them if they crop up, it just never gained traction.
I've met a couple (literally I think). They were SP members. Nice enough like.

From the Vote UK forum shared above and of interest to the forum:
One of those councillors standing as an independent is a mate. Her partner, also an excommunicated Labour member, is standing as well. They're both good eggs, class conscious and very active in all the strike support stuff, as well as loads of local community initiatives.

Shame about their electoralism :D though I'd probably vote for them if they were in my ward.

The tories lost overall control here at the last election for the first time in a thousand years.

There's not one, not two but three groups not tied to a party - independent, non-aligned and ungrouped. No idea what the difference is
Splitters :mad:

Back
Top Bottom