Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Local council removes a verge so cars can park over the pavement

Obviously the pictured spaces in the OP are a disgrace but I think the answer to the problem of too many cars is, as ever, make it inconvenient and expensive to drive whilst at the same time providing excellent, cheap public transport and cycling infrastructure.
They can't do that it's too sensible. :hmm:

In this country, or England at least, I understand that pavement parking is only completely illegal in London. Elsewhere it's allowed, but driving on the pavement isn't. Which rather begs the question of how cars parked astride the kerb got there.
We got a letter only today to say that two-wheel parking is ok on our estate (London zone three).

• Sad
Reactions: Sue
Central Beds Council should be severely taken to task over this.

That space isn't wide enough for a decent sized Merc, let alone a Range Rover Sport, or similar.

Finally a voice of simple common sense for us hard working, law abiding, decent, honest tax payers. If those loony liberals had their way, they'd want to ban the sky next! You couldn't make it up!

However I am in London and in a nearby narrow back street there are parking bays clearly marked by the council which are half on the pavement - very narrow gap left to get through, wheelchair users or people with prams, pushchairs, tartan trolleys, walking frames or aids, carrying bulky shopping bags, or just (like me) a bit fat have to use the pavement on the other side or use a different street.
Even that often isn't a solution for a wheelchair user. The dips from pavement to road - where they actually exist - aren't too difficult for the average person to wheel a pushchair over; however, most of those dips don't go flat enough for loads of people who use a self-propelled manual wheelchair to be able to use them. It takes quite some strength and dexterity for someone to haul their own bodyweight plus the weight of a wheelchair over a wide lip of concrete.

It could easily be solved by councils making sure that the pavement dips went completely flat, and drivers not parking on the pavement. But as it is, a lot of otherwise independant wheelchair users are forced to rely on having someone to push them, and can't get (ab)out by themselves, all because of other people's lack of consideration.

Even that often isn't a solution for a wheelchair user. The dips from pavement to road - where they actually exist - aren't too difficult for the average person to wheel a pushchair over; however, most of those dips don't go flat enough for loads of people who use a self-propelled manual wheelchair to be able to use them. It takes quite some strength and dexterity for someone to haul their own bodyweight plus the weight of a wheelchair over a wide lip of concrete.

It could easily be solved by councils making sure that the pavement dips went completely flat, and drivers not parking on the pavement. But as it is, a lot of otherwise independant wheelchair users are forced to rely on having someone to push them, and can't get (ab)out by themselves, all because of other people's lack of consideration.

Yeah that was the point I was (probably a bit ineptly) making - people can't always just cross the road and may have to backtrack to find an alternate route or somewhere safe to cross. For those with mobility issues, chronic pain, heart or respiratory conditions (and probably many more!) that isn't always feasible.

Yeah that was the point I was (probably a bit ineptly) making - people can't always just cross the road and may have to backtrack to find an alternate route or somewhere safe to cross. For those with mobility issues, chronic pain, heart or respiratory conditions (and probably many more!) that isn't always feasible.
Yes, all sorts of situations too I hadn't thought of tbh.

Back
Top Bottom