Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Liverpool FC V Real Madrid, Champions League Final: 7.45pm Sat 26th May 2018

well sneakey that elbow - several players blocking the refs view - blink and you'll miss it. Did the physios attend to karius immediately afterwards? Maybe his mistake was not to seek treatment - perhaps fearing they'd have subbed him.
I was thinking along the same lines. Presume the ref's report has been long since accepted now so there's no chance of any retrospective punishment. Wouldn't change anything but it would have been nice to take the shine off Madrid's win.

is it only me that's a bit cynical about a German who works in England and got embarrassed in the Ukraine who has to go to the US of A to find a couple of bought and paid for doctors to give him a diagnosis 10 days later?

Would have Karius known?
I don't know much about concussion, but I have heard that sufferers are unaware that they're concussed and feel 'fine'.
Yup, I felt fine when concussed but eventually people realised I wasn't acting normally. Went to hospital. I remember nothing between bumping my head and the hospital. Apparently we went to a bar and I was dancing. Remember nothing of this to this day.

is it only me that's a bit cynical about a German who works in England and got embarrassed in the Ukraine who has to go to the US of A to find a couple of bought and paid for doctors to give him a diagnosis 10 days later?
Yes.

I'm not doubting he had a concussion - in fact his mistakes were so bad it almost had to be something like that. What seems like 110% bollocks is this bit:

As part of his trip, however, Liverpool ordered Karius to undergo a series of scans to determine whether he had endured head trauma following an elbow from Sergio Ramos.
If Liverpool were worried about his condition they'd have had the scan done a week ago. But even more if they were worried about some level of ongoing impairment, they'd have insisted he had the scans before going on a transatlantic fight, not after.

This was discussed on 5 live - he had a pre arranged holiday to the Boston area (visiting family).
And anyway; concussion can take days to fully take hold. Anyone effected by it can actually carry on functioning in a limited capacity while actually lacking consciousness - at least until the debilitating effects take hold - sensitivity to light, hearing ,balance, headaches etc.
It's not a nice thing to have... similar to cerebral hypoxia.

I'm not doubting he had a concussion - in fact his mistakes were so bad it almost had to be something like that. What seems like 110% bollocks is this bit:

If Liverpool were worried about his condition they'd have had the scan done a week ago. But even more if they were worried about some level of ongoing impairment, they'd have insisted he had the scans before going on a transatlantic fight, not after.
Severe debilitating effects can be gradual... less sever (eg distorted sight) can be immediate... the brain is complex... no brainer ;)

This was discussed on 5 live - he had a pre arranged holiday to the Boston area (visiting family).
And anyway; concussion can take days to fully take hold. Anyone effected by it can actually carry on functioning in a limited capacity while actually lacking consciousness - at least until the debilitating effects take hold - sensitivity to light, hearing ,balance, headaches etc.
It's not a nice thing to have... similar to cerebral hypoxia.

ok it can take days before the full effects, but we're talking about minutes. Top end footballers are very good at writhing around to highlight fouls- yet Karius just got up. He complained for sure but he obviously didn't regard what happened as needing professional attention, nor did the ref who has pretty clear instructions about head injuries. So at the time it was considered minor by all concerned.

Subsequently, Karius turns up in Boston on a family holiday and is then (and only then) sent to see a doctor for a diagnosis, where he's found to have concussion. Much of the diagnosis is based on "carefully reviewing game film". The doctors were Dr Ross Zafonte, of Spaulding hospital, where he just happens to be heavily involved in a prestige project sponsored by the Red Sox, owned by Fenway who just happen to own Liverpool, together with Dr. Lenore Herget who is a consultant to the Red Sox.

Karius only cost 5 million quid, which is peanuts in the footballing world but his owners have to think about the resale value.

Sorry for being a bit cynical.

ok it can take days before the full effects, but we're talking about minutes. Top end footballers are very good at writhing around to highlight fouls- yet Karius just got up. He complained for sure but he obviously didn't regard what happened as needing professional attention, nor did the ref who has pretty clear instructions about head injuries. So at the time it was considered minor by all concerned.

Subsequently, Karius turns up in Boston on a family holiday and is then (and only then) sent to see a doctor for a diagnosis, where he's found to have concussion. Much of the diagnosis is based on "carefully reviewing game film". The doctors were Dr Ross Zafonte, of Spaulding hospital, where he just happens to be heavily involved in a prestige project sponsored by the Red Sox, owned by Fenway who just happen to own Liverpool, together with Dr. Lenore Herget who is a consultant to the Red Sox.

Karius only cost 5 million quid, which is peanuts in the footballing world but his owners have to think about the resale value.

Sorry for being a bit cynical.
Yep, every bit of that, esp. the 'reviewing game footage', never heard that before in terms of a docs response to an injury. In the nicest possible way, I hope he did have concussion - with no lasting consequences obviously - because it provides a better story than '2 catastrophic mistakes'. But the whole process here stretches credulity.

I think it's perfectly credible that he had concussion. It's very common with brain injuries to be oblivious to them. I'm only surprised the tests weren't done sooner.

I'm a big Liverpool fan so I feel justified in wondering if Karius contrived to be concussed for lots of other Liverpool matches this season.

Back
Top Bottom