Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's talk about China

Xi confirmed for a third time by a 2,952-0 National People's Congress vote, at 69 years old the fucker's very likely to stay alive for the full five years as well

jinping.png

i think the beginning of its decline started some time ago, perhaps the abolition of the one child policy in recognition of the demographic realities of the situation. but it is because of protests like these and the potential weakening of the regime's legitimacy - can they still master the yangtze? - that will lead to more bellicose talk over the next fifteen months and quite possibly the great war of 2025
and it's little things like this US Army has a ‘gigantic problem’ with logistics in the Indo-Pacific that show the united states is limbering up for the fight

I'm currently in Taiwan visiting my wife's family and spied this sign (attached below) in her hometown. There are underground shelters all over Taiwan and they do drills once a year to get cars off the road and get everyone underground. Supposedly in Taipei there is underground space (including underground shopping malls etc) to accomodate 12 million people. There is also a vast network of tunnels hidden in mountains which can be used to transport and conceal artillery, AA guns, even underground runways for fighter planes.

Part of the annual drills also involves calling up a small random sample of people to assemble in militias (everyone has to do some basic training and national service after high school), in the event of the real thing this would happen on a much larger scale.

On top of that, there are only a few kilometres of beaches suitable for landing an invasion force. Taiwan has been preparing for this scenario for over 70 years and it would be incredibly difficult to pull it off successfully, even excluding the (high) risk of Japan or the US getting involved.

Attachments

• IMG-20230412-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20230412-WA0004.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 4
I'm currently in Taiwan visiting my wife's family and spied this sign (attached below) in her hometown. There are underground shelters all over Taiwan and they do drills once a year to get cars off the road and get everyone underground. Supposedly in Taipei there is underground space (including underground shopping malls etc) to accomodate 12 million people. There is also a vast network of tunnels hidden in mountains which can be used to transport and conceal artillery, AA guns, even underground runways for fighter planes.

I wish the US would do more things like this. Just because the mainland of the US has mostly been immune to war doesn't mean it will continue. In the US all of the shelters are for government and military.

What's the strength of the Chinese navy and air force like now compared to what the US and allies have in the region?

What's the strength of the Chinese navy and air force like now compared to what the US and allies have in the region?

Strong. However, it's nuanced.

Distance is a huge problem for the US and its allies - they are all sufficiently distant from each other that mutual support is difficult, while each is close enough to China that China can concentrate a huge quantity of force onto each.

On the other hand, neither the Chinese military, nor the Chinese government, have fought a war in living memory. War, as Ukraine shows, isn't simply about numbers, it's much more complicated than that - so there's probably a great of scope for fuck ups on the Chinese side caused by a) unrealistic military exercises that are simply about firepower demonstrations with none of the friction that real world operations are full of, and thats even before a very motivated, skilled enemy starts shooting at you, b) unrealistic political leadership /management who think that a big parade/firepower demonstration is the same as a war, and c) a political/military culture where telling uncomfortable truths about deficiencies in equipment/training/planning is a good way to end your career/end up in a camp for crimes against the revolution.

Personally, I am not as sanguine about the idea that war isn't about to happen until there a 500,000 strong invasion force on its way - living memory is rammed with examples of wars being launched long before the conditions required for a successful outcome have been met.

China has announced a no-fly zone north of Taiwan, and has - in the last week - talked about stopping and searching vessels, including other Navies, sailing in the Straights of Taiwan.

I wouldn't fall off my chair if, when the history books are written, it's decided that the war has already started.

Distance is a huge problem for the US and its allies - they are all sufficiently distant from each other that mutual support is difficult, while each is close enough to China that China can concentrate a huge quantity of force onto each.

On the other hand, neither the Chinese military, nor the Chinese government, have fought a war in living memory. War, as Ukraine shows, isn't simply about numbers, it's much more complicated than that - so there's probably a great of scope for fuck ups on the Chinese side caused by a) unrealistic military exercises that are simply about firepower demonstrations with none of the friction that real world operations are full of, and thats even before a very motivated, skilled enemy starts shooting at you, b) unrealistic political leadership /management who think that a big parade/firepower demonstration is the same as a war, and c) a political/military culture where telling uncomfortable truths about deficiencies in equipment/training/planning is a good way to end your career/end up in a camp for crimes against the revolution.

Personally, I am not as sanguine about the idea that war isn't about to happen until there a 500,000 strong invasion force on its way - living memory is rammed with examples of wars being launched long before the conditions required for a successful outcome have been met.

China has announced a no-fly zone north of Taiwan, and has - in the last week - talked about stopping and searching vessels, including other Navies, sailing in the Straights of Taiwan.

I wouldn't fall off my chair if, when the history books are written, it's decided that the war has already started.
The Chinese navy is decades behind Russia and America in terms of submarines and anti-sub warfare. How to keep sub engines quiet is one thing the russians have thus far refused to share with their friends

Yeh not counting ww2 or the Chinese civil war China haven't fought a war in living memory except in Korea, and against Vietnam and India

Back
Top Bottom