Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

League 2 22/23

belboid

Exasperated, not angry.
That’s too many 2’s in a row.

Welcome back Stockport & Grimsby

Can anyone stop the mighty Tranmere this season? Probably.

After 2 dud matches in the opening games in the league, then an heroic battle to win on penalties in the midweek Caraboa cup , we had a much better performance against Gillingham with a 3 - 0 win with Nevitt, Bristow and Dacres-Cogley all getting goals. All the new players seem to be getting into it now and having a much better time in their positions and Ross has given up on playing the ball out to the defenders from the goal and is back to booting it up field for the midfield and forwards to get on the end of it.

Since my last post it's been back to the usual rollercoaster of football fare for Tranmere. The last 2 league games have been won by a 1 goal margin and the intervening Papa John trophy match was a mighty 5 - 4 penalty win against Bolton after the match ended as a 2 all draw.
We can be deadly with the attacks but the final shots always seem to be a bit lacklustre, no-one seems to have the killer instinct. I'm hoping that the league wins will give the team a bit of a boost now but who knows.

5 wins on the bounce now for Tranmere and Crewe were the latest victims falling to a 3-0 scoreline. Good atmosphere for a Friday night game with 8001 fans watching the match. My standout man of the match was our Southampton loanee Simeu, he gets better ever game with his skill at reading the play and willing to get stuck in all around the pitch.

Well we held on for a point at Northampton despite the ref thinking he was a World Cup referee with his constant whistling and then adding 8 minutes at the end.

I can't bear my local 'professional' team, Gillingham. They're at the arse end of League 2 and I am enjoying every moment of their current struggle. Cup action for them shortly tonight on t'telly v Dagenham and Redbridge and I shall be sat in my armchair, giggling like a loonspud as they (hopefully) lose horribly.

Mickey Mellon has to go. The man hasn't a clue about motivating a team and sticks to his plan no matter what. I attended the match at Grimsby yesterday and his insistence on playing Paul Lewis is astounding. The guy has no pace and not a clue about playing up front. Kane Hemmings is not a captain, he doesn't call out to the team, doesn't direct them while playing and isn't the most skilful of players either. When Lewis was subbed for Jake Burton the whole game play changed and we got a goal back when the ball rebounded off him when Grimsby's keeper miskicked the ball out. Then our 2nd sub Joel Mumbongo came on and really made a nuisance of himself, created opportunities and chances, just a pity no one could convert them.
Highpoint of the match, watching the Mariners mascot going a over t right in front of us. At least he had the good grace to take a bow as he hobbled away.

What a turnaround with yesterday's game. Survived the first 20 minutes of attack from Doncaster and then started to get the upper hand. Three good goals from three different players, Hemmings, Morris And Lewis, and the home crowd weren't calling for Mellon's head.

Due to Sutton vs Grimsby being re-arranged from Saturday to this Tuesday to make room for the FA Cup Quarter Final, my group of GTFC exiles have a couple of “spare” tickets for the away end.

If anyone fancies it, let me know.

Sutton United vs Grimsby Town , Tuesday 14th March 19:45 kickoff.

Oh well it had to happen, Mickey Mellon has been relieved of his first team duties. I think all the fans will be relieved he's been sacked. Yesterday's performance was woeful but was just one of many abysmal performances this season. Looks like it'll be a temporary cover for the rest of the season and then they need to get an experienced League 2 manager and some players who can score goals.

Well that was the shittest performance I've seen in a while and being a Tranmere fan of late there have been plenty of other shit games to choose from. I can't understand what the defence and goalie were doing with their shit attempts at trying to play it out. There's a time and a place for that type of game but when your in the shit and struggling, stick to the basics and play it forward.
I don't think any of the current team should remain after the summer, none of them want to take responsibility for their current predicament.

Last edited:
I’ve kept away from this thread as Orient have romped through the season, which I’ve only kept an eye on from a distance anyway, but it’s extremely pleasing that we’ll finally be back to where we were when the awful Becchetti took over and almost killed the Club in 2014.

George Dawes it is then.

Sorry, Ian.

I'm underwhelmed by the announcement. It all seems to be a cost issue from Palios who has been actively looking for new investors or a complete buy out.

Ended the season with a loss. Hope that Nigel Adkins as the new Technical Director and Neil Danns as the assistant manager can help Dawes to change the players mentality and get them to become more of an attacking force

Back
Top Bottom