Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Last Orders for My Part Time Bar Job?

Isambard

Dab of Rioja, Kitten? :D
So, I've been working in a busy pub part time for many a year, for at least the part 10 I've been bar manager running some of the most popular, busiest and most profitable nights.
Cos of a LOT of stress IRL I had already decided to give up the role at the end of July and go back to being "just" a barman. I'd already indicated that to HR before some current kerfuffle

The new general manager has already crossed swords with a number of staff and has lost / is losing them as a consequence.
He recently boasted that half the staff were new under his watch, not exactly realising perhaps, he had thus lost half the old staff.
He wants all the part time managers to sign new contracts, I've spoken out against them and never intended to sign as I'm going back to be casual barman anyway.

In the pub staff on duty are permitted to drink. It is part of the culture of the place.
Now I like a drink, but because of the responsibility I keep it VERY much under control, 2-3 glasses of wine over a 5 hour shift for example.

My last two shifts I've messed up the till at the end. NO money missing, just about £100 each time wrongly booked between the float and the takings than the bookkeeper can book back.
It's ANOTHER new till system, tricky, new procedure and all the rest of it. No real training.

As a consequence, I'm now going to be invited to a meeting with the senior manager and HR.
This is the kind of "disciplinary" meeting he envisages in the new contracts.

I strongly suspect there will be a move to impose the new contract with immediate effect, possibly linked with an alcohol ban, which wouldn't apply to other bar managers.
Don't really want to officially announce I'm changing roles yet, but I could so saying the contract is pointless for just a few more shifts.
But they could try and force through a drinking ban on me as just a barman, the senior manager has used this trick before to "burn off" staff he didn't want.

I've already eaten humble pie and said I will try and follow the procedures better and apologized for the extra work caused.
I don't NEED the job, but I do want to keep the barman job as working in that pub where I know all the regulars etc. over the years has become very much part of my life.

Any Ideas or advice?

don't drink in the pub they are making it a reason to sack you

find another spot if you must

management thinks you to tied into the clientale does not suit their vision for the pub

that or get another bar job

tbf barely drank in any boozer i worked at ,

as i wanted to stay seperate if it was drinkers vs the landlord sort of shite

if it plays the way you think and you don't need to keep the bar manager role wages then just say sorry: I am now just a bar tender so can keep drinking as won't be cashing up at the end of the night and messing it up.
I guess you obviously don't want to fall out as you seem to like the place b ut they should have done better training with the new procedures etc is another line to use.

disclaimer: I love walking out of jobs when "sacked" with a happy smile on my face.

So, I've been working in a busy pub part time for many a year, for at least the part 10 I've been bar manager running some of the most popular, busiest and most profitable nights.
Cos of a LOT of stress IRL I had already decided to give up the role at the end of July and go back to being "just" a barman. I'd already indicated that to HR before some current kerfuffle

The new general manager has already crossed swords with a number of staff and has lost / is losing them as a consequence.
He recently boasted that half the staff were new under his watch, not exactly realising perhaps, he had thus lost half the old staff.
He wants all the part time managers to sign new contracts, I've spoken out against them and never intended to sign as I'm going back to be casual barman anyway.

In the pub staff on duty are permitted to drink. It is part of the culture of the place.
Now I like a drink, but because of the responsibility I keep it VERY much under control, 2-3 glasses of wine over a 5 hour shift for example.

My last two shifts I've messed up the till at the end. NO money missing, just about £100 each time wrongly booked between the float and the takings than the bookkeeper can book back.
It's ANOTHER new till system, tricky, new procedure and all the rest of it. No real training.

As a consequence, I'm now going to be invited to a meeting with the senior manager and HR.
This is the kind of "disciplinary" meeting he envisages in the new contracts.

I strongly suspect there will be a move to impose the new contract with immediate effect, possibly linked with an alcohol ban, which wouldn't apply to other bar managers.
Don't really want to officially announce I'm changing roles yet, but I could so saying the contract is pointless for just a few more shifts.
But they could try and force through a drinking ban on me as just a barman, the senior manager has used this trick before to "burn off" staff he didn't want.

I've already eaten humble pie and said I will try and follow the procedures better and apologized for the extra work caused.
I don't NEED the job, but I do want to keep the barman job as working in that pub where I know all the regulars etc. over the years has become very much part of my life.

Any Ideas or advice?
Tbh I'd say that there was a training need, new systems had been introduced but little assistance given to staff, and that tbh this is a natural consequence of it. Blame where blame's due, proper training should have been given. If there'd been any real issue something would have turned up in the reconciliation like smaller discrepancies. I'd also point as support to years of the old system and no difficulty. I think it's worthwhile making a fuss as you'll be working for the same firm in future and you might not want these incidents to colour the company's view of you

Thanks people, was nice to see some good points when a nightmare about this woke me up at 4:30.

This part time job is not the main cause of stress that is affecting me badly the last few months, but isn't helping at all. I've many a time stated the pub was turning from a less team orientated place to work into a more rules dominated hierachy.

I wonder now if "toxic" is the right adjective.....

sorry you have a shite manager who made you step back from enjoying the work place

but same money less responsibility is no bad deal :)

:)

hope things get better

can recognise the reasons for not wanting to leave, but

a) no job is worth sacrificing your health for

b) staying put because 'why the hell should i leave this situation just because some twat is trying to push me out' is ultimately not a good reason for staying put - i've done it a couple of times and have ended up regretting not GTFO-ing sooner...

Another vote for gtf out.
Its not going to be a nice workplace.
And no workplace is worth losing a minute's sleep or a moment's peace.

Reactions: Ax^
After a week of sleepless nights I had a meeting with HR without the senior manager.

A LOT of people have problems with the new till system. There will be new training.

No disciplinary issues.

I can switch from August from part time bar manager to part time senior barman on the same deal.

Thank You!
Great news :thumbs:

Now join a union, so you've some extra back-up if there are any other problems in future

Yes, join a union now - you don't want to get to August and they go back on the deal.

Have they confirmed in writing? If not, write a meeting summary of what was agreed and email it to them, adding that if you don't hear anything back you'll proceed on the basis all is correct.

Back
Top Bottom