Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lambeth's plans to demolish Cressingham Gardens and other estates without the consent of residents

Thanks, Sadiq Khan, for shafting residents of Cressingham Gardens and 34 other London estates, by denying us a ballot by secretly signing off project funding over the last couple of months, you despicable little prick.

Really sorry to hear this.

He postured about ballots but has given in to New Labour councils. Politicking of the worst order.

You can bet that Peck has been in touch with Khan on a personal basis on this.

Thanks, Sadiq Khan, for shafting residents of Cressingham Gardens and 34 other London estates, by denying us a ballot by secretly signing off project funding over the last couple of months, you despicable little prick.

Ah mate. Hadn't had time to fully digest Berry's investigative work when I posted in P&P about this yesterday. Yet more of this done deal sham :mad: :(

I visit the estate frequently and have watched the many videos on YouTube. I do this because I follow the proposed redevelopment quite closely because I have some close friends who live on the estate. I fully understand why some of the residents like it so much, I simply don't see it the same way.

What are your 'close friends who live on the estate' making of the situation and future of their homes as things develop?

Really sorry to hear this.

He postured about ballots but has given in to New Labour councils. Politicking of the worst order.

You can bet that Peck has been in touch with Khan on a personal basis on this.

An FoI has been submitted to examine exactly that. If there's been communication, and it isn't redacted to hell and back, it could prove collusion.

Ah mate. Hadn't had time to fully digest Berry's investigative work when I posted in P&P about this yesterday. Yet more of this done deal sham :mad: :(

Mayor quietly signs off funding for 34 estates, dodging new ballot rules - Sian Berry AM

Reading between the lines looks like Sadiq decided to drag out process of putting together a policy on estate ballots in order to sign off controversial schemes to keep Labour Councils like Lambeth happy.

Sian is implying that the policy on estate ballots could have been written up and implemented sooner. Mayor has had a year since consultation ended.

Sian comes across as really good Green party GLA member.

There's a good documentary on estate regeneration going out right now on Channel 5.
Maybe there is a channel 5+1?
Started with Aylesbury/Heygate, then Glasgow then 10 minutes or so on Cresingham - including Greebo manning the megaphone outside the Town Hall, and shots of Matthew Bennett assuring committee only demolition is good enough.
Social Housing, Social Cleansing - Channel 5
Good documentary. Greebo was so eloquent. Lambeth really are a bunch of shits.

I hate how this country has become. Where does the govt want everyone to live? Its ridiculous.

Good documentary. Greebo was so eloquent. Lambeth really are a bunch of shits.

I hate how this country has become. Where does the govt want everyone to live? Its ridiculous.
I believe Herne Hill Labour Party showed this last week at the Baptist Church in Half Moon Lane.

I am getting so confused with politics these days. We have remainers in the government forcing us to leave Europe, companies using Facebook to alter the referendum result AND causing tribal tensions in Kenya and Nigeria.

Yet the BBC acts like an agent of Brexit change - and Herne Hill Labour Party pretending they are defending Cressingham Gardens.

Is life getting too surreal - or is the Morrisons Green Ginger Wine cutting in?

I believe Herne Hill Labour Party showed this last week at the Baptist Church in Half Moon Lane.

I am getting so confused with politics these days. We have remainers in the government forcing us to leave Europe, companies using Facebook to alter the referendum result AND causing tribal tensions in Kenya and Nigeria.

Yet the BBC acts like an agent of Brexit change - and Herne Hill Labour Party pretending they are defending Cressingham Gardens.

Is life getting too surreal - or is the Morrisons Green Ginger Wine cutting in?

Herne Hill Labour Party have sweet fuck all to do with Cressingham Gardens, and have done sweet fuck all to defend the estate. In fact at least one gobshite Herne Hill Labour councillor has shat on us from a great height. Take a bow, James "to the right of new Labour" Chatterton Dickson.

That documentary didn't give me much hope. What can be done to save the estate now? are there any more options?

what can we do?

That documentary didn't give me much hope. What can be done to save the estate now? are there any more options?

what can we do?

Watch and wait. The doc was filmed in 2015 and 2016. Things have moved on a bit, and although the regeneration is progressing on paper, Lambeth still have to get planning permission (if the decision is at all hooky, we can force a planning enquiry), and then apply for Compulsory Purchase Orders for the home-owners on the estate, and get the Sec of State to sign them off. Aylesbury has shown that he's wary (politically ans morally, amazingly enough) about doing that for regen schemes. There's also the issue of ballots, and whether Khan can be maneuvered into rowing back on having signed off the Lambeth schemes and others. There's still plenty to play for, and Lambeth's "start demolition" timetable of 2019 is plain wishful thinking, and merely intended to put the shits up residents, and get them to move out.

Also, if you can, vote Green. The Greens are opposed to estate demolition, both morally and practically. You've got some great candidates over your side of the park.

Of course, I'm not saying the Green candidates on the Tulse Hill side of the park aren't brilliant, because they are (although I am somewhat biased)!

Thanks ViolentPanda that makes me feel far more hopeful.

Lots of good people here and at Central Hill, who are prepared to fight through till the end, and lots of well-wishers out there who've put their hands in their pockets to help build our fighting fund.
Last year, I knew our campaign was still doing well when I went to Brum for a meeting, and people there from as far away as Glasgow told me how their housing campaigns had drawn on our experience, especially on the ideas of making sure there's a united front between tenants and leaseholders, and finding a housing lawyer to scrutinise whatever the council sends residents.

Lots of good people here and at Central Hill, who are prepared to fight through till the end, and lots of well-wishers out there who've put their hands in their pockets to help build our fighting fund.
Last year, I knew our campaign was still doing well when I went to Brum for a meeting, and people there from as far away as Glasgow told me how their housing campaigns had drawn on our experience, especially on the ideas of making sure there's a united front between tenants and leaseholders, and finding a housing lawyer to scrutinise whatever the council sends residents.
I'd be happy to put on another fundraiser for you guys, if needed.

On Monday evening we found out that our estate-wide ballot to take control of repairs and maintenance on Cressingham has been successful - over 82% of tenants voted in favour (secure tenant votes are the ones that count, where Lambeth are concerned). With luck and a following wind, when we go live next year, we can start having an impact, including using local contractors as opposed to the ones that Lambeth use. This is the pay-off for 3 yrs of hard work, and means we can start to change the current "managed decline" of our homes.

This doesn't change the demolition, but it does mean that in the interim, our homes won't be left to rot. I can't tell you how much I admire the members of the Cressingham Gardens Resident Management Co-operative board (except the Chair). They're my heroines and heroes. :cool:

As a coda to this, on Tuesday afternoon, after a year of constant badgering from a resident, we got an appt. Not with Khan, but with the "deputy mayor for housing & blah blah blah. We asked questions and presented facts, and found out that in terms of the conditions for funding, there aren't any meaningful ones, except delivery within time-frame. The DM and his two assistants looked nonplussed when we asked what due diligence they'd done on our financially incompetent council. The political minds Sadiq has surrounded himself with, do not impress me.

Back
Top Bottom