Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lambeth Country Show, Brockwell Park, Saturday 21 & Sunday 22 July 2018

editor

hiraethified
lambeth-country-show-2013-15.jpg

Happily it's still free and they're nowt asking traders and performers to apply:

Lambeth Country Show 2018 invites performers and traders to get involved

Perimeter fence, bag searches and no booze to be brought in for 2018.

Perimeter fence for Lambeth Country Show with CCTV and alcohol searches at 2018 festival

Hopefully there'll be a new "attraction" this year in the form of a gallows where one by one our "cooperative council" leaders are executed for treason to their constituency

That'd be enough to make me attend and pay the extortionate booze prices within THE PERIMETER FENCE/ANNEXATION WALL

Toss off Lambeth you pricks

It will probably end up with people drinking just outside the perimeter fence, causing additional litter, making things more difficult to control. Inside the stewards, police and litter pickers can manage things more effectively.

20 deep queues to buy a plastic cup of Brewdog for £6 isn’t very appealing either.

Don’t they say you can’t bring booze in every year, and fail to enforce the rule?
Building a fence around the entire site for the first time suggests that they're getting heavier with 'security.'

No doubt the vastly increased security and fence costs will eventually lead to Lambeth telling us that charging for entry is the only way the show can survive (see: Brockwell Fireworks).

Building a fence around the entire site for the first time suggests that they're getting heavier with 'security.'

No doubt the vastly increased security and fence costs will eventually lead to Lambeth telling us that charging for entry is the only way the show can survive (see: Brockwell Fireworks).

After the 'Love Box' rejection, Lambeth Council were always going to be looking for a way to hurt those that protested. This year a fence and security checks, with a various changes for the 'Country Show', changing it along the lines of a more 2 day festival event probably something similar to 'Field Day', which means it will become a pay for entry.

The council elections are coming up. I’d imagine we will have candidates on the street, maybe the doorstep, that we can discuss it with.

Then use our votes wisely.

With a fence around the Country Show it's only one step away from being a ticketed event. Look what happened to the fireworks.

Exactly, the beginning of the end of the Lambeth Country Show as we know it. Part of the beauty of it all is to be able to freely walk into the park with a big cool box of beers and settle down for the day and get hammered at your leisure, not going to a bar every half hour and paying a fiver a pint.

Actually quite annoyed at this, i cant really see any greater reason for the need for the fence, apart from the council being able to charge ludicrous amounts for bar pitches, knowing that punters wont have any booze on them so will be forced to go to the bar all day. :mad:

Exactly, the beginning of the end of the Lambeth Country Show as we know it. Part of the beauty of it all is to be able to freely walk into the park with a big cool box of beers and settle down for the day and get hammered at your leisure, not going to a bar every half hour and paying a fiver a pint.

Actually quite annoyed at this, i cant really see any greater reason for the need for the fence, apart from the council being able to charge ludicrous amounts for bar pitches, knowing that punters wont have any booze on them so will be forced to go to the bar all day. :mad:
Do you would be in favour of sponsorship then?

It seems like a whole world away now when we seemed to be quite capable of having decent, fully open and free festivals/shows, with no corporate involvement and usually sponsorship was limited to councils, unions, charities, some local radio stations and local people loaning out their stages/sound systems/hospitality. Hackney Marshes, New Cross, Lazy Sunday, etc. in the 90s, even Respect (which got fucked over by Boris). I'd view the increasingly tight entrance restrictions every year such as alcohol/bag searches but particularly addition of fences with great sceptisicm tbh. And let's not forget, Brockwell Park is supposed to be a public space.

Do you would be in favour of sponsorship then?

Since you have asked the question, and having thought about it, i probably would prefer it to be sponsored in some way yes. If i had to choose between being able to freely bring in whatever food and drink i want and not have to be searched on entry but have a few corporate logos dotted around the mainstage, or scenario it looks like we are having this year, then id go for the former. Although i believe that we shouldn't need to have sponsorship or perimeter fences at all, and regardless of all of the above, it should always be free which at least, thankfully, this year will again be the case.

I think a lot of people are anticipating Lambeth introducing charging sooner or later, with the council blaming it on those selfish souls who were against their pre-rubber-stamped plans to turn into a corporate festival space for most of the summer.

Since you have asked the question, and having thought about it, i probably would prefer it to be sponsored in some way yes. If i had to choose between being able to freely bring in whatever food and drink i want and not have to be searched on entry but have a few corporate logos dotted around the mainstage, or scenario it looks like we are having this year, then id go for the former. Although i believe that we shouldn't need to have sponsorship or perimeter fences at all, and regardless of all of the above, it should always be free which at least, thankfully, this year will again be the case.
Sponsorship won't take away fences and bag checks. Being able to offer a booze-free environment means they can charge more for drink pitches.

It will be a shame if people are refused from bringing their own picnics and drinks.

It really prices people out of enjoying the weekend. Food and drink is really expensive at the show, especially for larger families.

I usually take a bit of my own booze (4 cans) along and then buy on site when that has run out f I want more. I usually do buy something to eat on site, but have also taken my own in the past.

I don't want the country show to vanish, but I also don't want it to become a fenced off, corporate event either.

It will be a shame if people are refused from bringing their own picnics and drinks.

It really prices people out of enjoying the weekend. Food and drink is really expensive at the show, especially for larger families.

I usually take a bit of my own booze (4 cans) along and then buy on site when that has run out f I want more. I usually do buy something to eat on site, but have also taken my own in the past.

I don't want the country show to vanish, but I also don't want it to become a fenced off, corporate event either.

I'm totally with this - it's what we do. The show has been for us a great (and cheap) way to enjoy a family summers afternoon in what is a public park. This is one step away from another corporatised 'festival'.

Although biennial, I spent most of my teenage years with Bedford River Festival on my doorstep, which is two days of not only water sports, dragonboat racing, etc. on the river, but also has three music stages, charity and local business fields, a funfair, pop-up stuff, a food/produce field, a closing fireworks display, etc. As its grown, its clearly got a lot of local business funding/sponsorship to make something so big viable, but it's stayed non-corporate, and is entirely publicly accessible from all directions and free. So, whilst comparisons probably can't be drawn I appreciate, I would still say though that it's possible to put on very large festivals/shows without being corporate, fenced off, or increasingly subject to bag checks, etc.

Anyway, more importantly, I hope it doesn't lose too much of its atmosphere through change. The handful of times I've got to the show, it's been brilliant, and all the better for some drinks in the rucksack and in the company of ace urbs :cool:

Thing is, corporate sponsorship these days usually comes at a price. So if the show was sponsored by a beer company, they'd probably insist on being the main supplier. Or they get their fingers in the pie in all sorts of other ways.

Having worked in the charity sector for 15 odd years I'd say corporate sponsorship always comes at a price....

Thing is, corporate sponsorship these days usually comes at a price. So if the show was sponsored by a beer company, they'd probably insist on being the main supplier. Or they get their fingers in the pie in all sorts of other ways.
Not the end of the world then :)

Not the end of the world then :)
A heavily enforced 'no outside booze' ban along with advertising everywhere would substantially change the character of the show and make it a lot less enjoyable for people who can't afford to pay the inflated 'approved' booze prices.

Back
Top Bottom