Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Labour leadership

Fucking generals coup, get a grip.

You know full well it was aired.

Anyway, do let me know if you find something about intel agencies not bothering any more to target prominent politicians who clearly going against "interests" of states/NATO etc. I'd be fascinated to read it.

"A decision of the Shadow Cabinet" that would be um, very much like something the shadow cabinet decides
A decision coming from the shadow cabinet just means that the SC decides what the whip is to be. Not that the SC gets to decide for itself. Do you think the police just enforce lawss they make up?

Do you think they decide by majority vote in there or something? If Corbyn had chosen to enforce the whip, that would have been the decision of cabinet (albeit a cabinet rapidly vacated by a number of members).
Maybe Mr Corbyn, just fought a valiant action over the weekend to prevent the shadow cabinet bouncing him into whipping the party into voting for military action

Debate in the house of commons right now on UK role in the Middle East and the Labour benches are almost empty, I despair with the leadership effort.

Votes aren't won or lost on the quality of debate, nor the attendance at the arena. Put away childish things.
No hard-and-fast rule. Depends on the subject, how much or whether it's whipped, the personalities involved, and the quality of the arguments. Unless you're arguing that every single Commons debate was predetermined -- including the Norway debate -- you don't even disagree.

Who said anything about "parliamentary decency"? I'll allow unintentional, but regardless, honking great straw man. This is about your claim that debate is has no bearing on the outcome of Commons' votes.

You surely don't think the ultra-cynical Commons of the appeasement years was marked by decency, so once again, we don't even disagree that debate can have a decisive effect on a heavily flawed chamber.

Who said anything about "parliamentary decency"? I'll allow unintentional, but regardless, honking great straw man. This is about your claim that debate is has no bearing on the outcome of Commons' votes.

You surely don't think the ultra-cynical Commons of the appeasement years was marked by decency, so once again, we don't even disagree that debate can have a decisive effect on a heavily flawed chamber.
No votes are won on the quality of debate today. You can think that you agree with that or not. That was what i said though.

No votes are won on the quality of debate today. You can think that you agree with that or not. That was what i said though.
Very well, taking "today" to mean, oh, say the last five years, what's your evidence for the claim? "It not happening" is circular as it gets.

I'll assume you've not run extensive research into MPs' reason for voting in every single division: or, even if we presuppose that every whipped vote is immune to debate, every free vote.

So, what's backing up you extreme confidence in your opinion?

Very well, taking "today" to mean, oh, say the last five years, what's your evidence for the claim? "It not happening" is circular as it gets.

I'll assume you've not run extensive research into MPs' reason for voting in every single division: or, even if we presuppose that every whipped vote is immune to debate, every free vote.

It not happening.

Are you really this naive?

I'm not going to bother asking you what's backing up your own extreme confidence given that you can't get straight if you're agreeing with me or not.

when was the last time you heard of a parliamentary speech swaying a debate?

Back
Top Bottom