Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Labour leadership

I'd vote for Corbyn. It's something different and will shake up the Labour party. I don't think he will win any general election - he probably won't last that long, but it will be interesting while it lasts.

By which I mean: that's all he hoped to achieve.

So hypothetically speaking, and if that is the case, how does Corbyn reform the Labour Party and ensure a succession that guarantees his anti-austerity agenda with a meaningful candidate going into the next election? How does he ride the bull, get off the bull, and then select and anoint another bull rider of a similar stripe without the Blairite snakes derailing the whole thing? (apologies for all the animals)

So hypothetically speaking, and if that is the case, how does Corbyn reform the Labour Party and ensure a succession that guarantees his anti-austerity agenda with a meaningful candidate going into the next election? How does he ride the bull, get off the bull, and then select and anoint another bull rider of a similar stripe without the Blairite snakes derailing the whole thing? (apologies for all the animals)

re-education camp for the blairite MPs for a start...

more seriously, the only direction that stands a chance is to give back a lot of the powers that blair centralised away from local parties as regards selection of MP, policy direction, election of the national executive committee, and so on

re-education camp for the blairite MPs for a start...

more seriously, the only direction that stands a chance is to give back a lot of the powers that blair centralised away from local parties as regards selection of MP, policy direction, election of the national executive committee, and so on

Thanks. Excuse my ignorance: how easy or difficult would it be for him to do this?

Thanks. Excuse my ignorance: how easy or difficult would it be for him to do this?

dunno. i'm not sufficiently up on just how the party machine works these days.

i presume the blairite changes must somehow have got shoved through a party conference

Forget the pollsters he must be winning if such consummate band wagon fuckwits as Bragg and Brand are belatedly on board. Never known a cause they wouldn't support without personal risk.

Out of the number of people who voted - the popular vote - they have a majority, hence they have a popular majority.

You may have been confusing the phrase with an absolute majority or some other kind of supermajority...

No - that is a simple majority and a popular majority.

The country was quorate, the vote happened and the result stands - the popular vote went with the Tories.

To pretend otherwise is quite frankly ridiculous.

A popular majority, is a majority of the valid votes cast. The Tories have such a majority in a number of constituencies; they do not have it across the UK...'to pretend otherwise is frankly ridiculous'.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Last edited:
This is quite frankly absurd - a loss of an election is not a loss, it's merely a misrepresentation!

Bonkers, absolutely bonkers!

Nobody is saying that the Tories didn't win the election and that Labour didn't loose. They are pointing out the stupid hyperbole of your assertion that the country wants a Tory government and all the other associated garbage that has flowed from that idiotic statement.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

I heard Gary Glitter supports Corbyn
Though JC is in the clear on this one...

CM1gw0xWgAACwSf_zpsykiz9hxt.jpg

Nobody is saying that the Tories didn't win the election and that Labour didn't loose. They are pointing out the stupid hyperbole of your assertion that the country wants a Tory government and all the other associated garbage that has flowed from that idiotic statement.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Weren't you trying to make cheap points about typos yesterday?

Weren't you trying to make cheap points about typos yesterday?

I was pointing out your lack of attention to even simple detail, much as I've just done.

So back to the substance; given that the Conservatives attracted about 24% of the available vote and about 37% of the votes cast, what exactly constitutes this country that want a Tory government? It isn't the population of the UK, or the population of the UK registered to vote, or even the population of the UK registered to vote who actually did so; what exactly is the country that you so confidently asserts wants a Tory government?

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

It would be crazy for the Labour Party to move even further towards the Tories, given that most people in the country (about three quarters) don't want Tory policies.

Back
Top Bottom