Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Labour Anti-Semitism (and general failings) Report

What you've said, twice, is that antisemitism is no worse of a problem in the labour left than any other form of bigotry or chauvinism. I paraphrased that as you saying there is no issue with antisemitism in the labour left, which seems an accurate summary of your stance to me, although it's resulted in you having a paddy going on about me being lazy and 'even the BBC can see it' or something so say what the fuck you mean instead of this weak non-answer shit
You made up a 'quote,' added in a couple of words of your own to what I actually said and then plead you cant understand. Tell me, why I should I waste any more time on someone as dishonest as you?

You made up a 'quote,' added in a couple of words of your own to what I actually said and then plead you cant understand. Tell me, why I should I waste any more time on someone as dishonest as you?

Lol. Just say what you want to say, if you have to be this much of a weasel about it then you must know its fucking shite

Easy done though intit :)

What. Are you making a comparison between Corbyn passing over a quite obviously anti-Semitic mural and me not really seeing the anti-Semitism of a shirt cartoon?

What you've said, twice, is that antisemitism is no worse of a problem in the labour left than any other form of bigotry or chauvinism. I paraphrased that as you saying there is no issue with antisemitism in the labour left, which seems an accurate summary of your stance to me, although it's resulted in you having a paddy going on about me being lazy and 'even the BBC can see it' or something so say what the fuck you mean instead of this weak non-answer shit

No, you used quote marks, so you were claiming that belboid had actually used those words. Hardly a "paddy" if you're misquoting him to say something ludicrous that he didn't say.

What. Are you making a comparison between Corbyn passing over a quite obviously anti-Semitic mural and me not really seeing the anti-Semitism of a shirt cartoon?

He said he didn't see the anti-semitic imagery. When I first looked at the image I didn't see it either - I saw a load of white men, presumably bankers, sat round a table (as I remember) playing Monopoly carving up the world. Much like you didn't see the "big nose, the hunched shoulders and the ketchup dripping from the sandwich looking like blood etc." of a Jewish politician.

He said he didn't see the anti-semitic imagery. When I first looked at the image I didn't see it either - I saw a load of white men, presumably bankers, sat round a table (as I remember) playing Monopoly carving up the world. Much like you didn't see the "big nose, the hunched shoulders and the ketchup dripping from the sandwich looking like blood etc." of a Jewish politician.
You don’t need to gratuitously bring other posters into this. If you say you didn’t see immediately the anti-Semitic tropes in the mural, I believe you. But I did, and Corbyn certainly should have. He’d been a professional politician for decades by that point. So it really won’t do to imply it’s not always easy to spot these things.

Anyway, I’ve had enough of the Labour Party’s internal squabbles. If they ever decide what their point is, they can let me know. I’ll not hold my breath.

You don’t need to gratuitously bring other posters into this. If you say you didn’t see immediately the anti-Semitic tropes in the mural, I believe you. But I did, and Corbyn certainly should have. He’d been a professional politician for decades by that point. So it really won’t do to imply it’s not always easy to spot these things.

Anyway, I’ve had enough of the Labour Party’s internal squabbles. If they ever decide what their point is, they can let me know. I’ll not hold my breath.

Yes, that's the point I was making though: it's not always easy to spot these things. Yes Corbyn should have spotted them, but he says he didn't. That doesn't make him anti-semitic, but that's the accusation that's always brought up when the mural is mentioned.

Come on - you can't put something in quote marks that another poster didn't actually say. That's not radio 4 stuff that's basic honesty in debate.

I can't really be arsed discussing whether it's good english to put a paraphrase in single quote marks, I think it is, others won't agree, that sort of shit bores the arse off me, what it isn't is dishonest. Fixating on it to avoid the politics is, however, dishonest.

two sheds

I'll admit to be a bit dozy when I first saw that cartoon - I actually didn't realise that it was supposed to be Miliband rather than just a general Labour bod.

But the gulf between these two images is immense.

1586885405995.png1586886463114.png

I can't really be arsed discussing whether it's good english to put a paraphrase in single quote marks, I think it is, others won't agree, that sort of shit bores the arse off me, what it isn't is dishonest. Fixating on it to avoid the politics is, however, dishonest.

Nah accusing someone of saying is “there is no issue with antisemitism on the labour left” when they don't believe it is not honest argument. You'd hardly like it done to you. Hardly "fixating" on it to bring it up, neither is it avoiding the politics. Make the point without doing it and the poster is going to respond to that.

as a rule of thumb, if there's one of those pyramid eye things in the image you're probably best having a very careful look at the rest of the pic before saying it's great on the socials.

Well yes but it's on the dollar bill too, which is what I saw at a glance.

Nah accusing someone of saying is “there is no issue with antisemitism on the labour left” when they don't believe it is not honest argument. You'd hardly like it done to you. Hardly "fixating" on it to bring it up, neither is it avoiding the politics. Make the point without doing it and the poster is going to respond to that.

I'm not going down the rabbit hole of whether using single quote marks is a direct quote or a paraphrase, nah. But there is no material difference between saying antisemitism is no more prominent than any other prejudice and saying there is no issue with antisemitism, it means the same thing

I'm not going down the rabbit hole of whether using single quote marks is a direct quote or a paraphrase, nah.

Double quote marks is defined as a direct quote, single quote marks too in fact. A paraphrase is when you say that someone believes something.

But there is no material difference between saying antisemitism is no more prominent than any other prejudice and saying there is no issue with antisemitism, it means the same thing

No, not even close. There's a problem in society with antisemitism, racism, homophobia, sexism, ... there's a problem in the Labour party with antisemitism, racism, homophobia, sexism, ...

Saying that antisemitism is no more prominent than any other prejudice (if that's what was said) says that there are similar problems with each - not that there's no problem with antisemitism.

Double quote marks is defined as a direct quote, single quote marks too in fact. A paraphrase is when you say that someone believes something.

No, not even close. There's a problem in society with antisemitism, racism, homophobia, sexism, ... there's a problem in the Labour party with antisemitism, racism, homophobia, sexism, ...

Saying that antisemitism is no more prominent than any other prejudice (if that's what was said) says that there are similar problems with each - not that there's no problem with antisemitism.

Yes similar problems with each in the labour left eg there is no issue with antisemitism in the labour left. Unless belboid's argument is that the labour left is racist. Come now now.

Is antisemitism a social problem though - in the sense of widespread AS? I don’t come across many people in every day life who harbour AS beliefs - those who do have such beliefs as part of a deeply held political and/or religious worldview IME.

Yes similar problems with each in the labour left eg there is no issue with antisemitism in the labour left. Unless belboid's argument is that the labour left is racist. Come now now.

Well with you saying "there's no issue with antisemitism in the revolutionary left" it's not much use continuing the discussion.

see what I did there? :)

I had a friend - a Lib Dem, a totally straight down the line liberal capitalist type who hates Corbyn tell me a month or so ago that Mossad were behind the antisemitism crisis in the Labour Party. Lazy conspiracist thinking is definitely not confined to the fringe nutters.

there isnt any point in trying to discuss 'the politics' if you are going to be dishonest about what other people have said, is there?

Is antisemitism a social problem though - in the sense of widespread AS? I don’t come across many people in every day life who harbour AS beliefs - those who do have such beliefs as part of a deeply held political and/or religious worldview IME.
Moving out of London and into the Tory sticks has been a sharp learning curve on this, i used to only ever meet the conspiratorial / political more committed sort of antisemites (a lot) but out here there’s a different flavour, a sort of more casual unconsidered racism. For instance a lady in the village apropos nothing saying ‘oh yes the jews, they are a sharp elbowed people’. Not to do with Isreal or Icke just sort of bog standard lazy prejudice.

They look after themselves. Admirable really.
Oh ye that reminds me, invited to a Christmas dinner few years ago and I was their first real life Jew and the man repeatedly saying how much he admires ‘my people’ for their business acumen.

Back
Top Bottom