Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keeping Brixton Crap: our public realm

One of the least "gentrified" streets in Brixton is pedestrian Electric Avenue.

Gentrification will no doubt come (it's being smartened up as we speak). And when it does it may eventually become the poshest street in Brixton, because of the handsome and fairly unique architecture. But no one can say that it was its pedestrianisation which kicked it off. Or that pedestrianisation hasn't served retailers and shoppers at the lower end of the economic spectrum well for a long time.

Incidentally, it is remarkably dead at night.

Well, broadly, we have been discussing pedestrianisation and to what extent it is really or necessarily a causal factor in gentrification processes. If you are just offering commentary that there are pedestrianised streets and unpedestrianised streets, but making no consistent point about how this might be related to gentrification or other matters, fair enough.

commentary, yes I suppose so. Should one always advance a case when commenting, always have something to prove? I don't really see any need to have a single, principled view on whether pedestrianisation is causal or even necessarily related to gentrification. I can observe that there are bleak and empty pedestrianised 'traditional' shopping precincts on the one hand and clearly gentrified pedestrianised streets on the other. You mentioned the new upmarket places in congested Atlantic Rd, Rushy has now contrasted that with long-term tatty pedestrianised Electric Avenue yet all over Brixton unpedestrianised streets have gentrified at an alarming rate. But to deny that pedestrianisation can be a component of the changes would be ridiculous.

I think the difference in demographics between those who used the cafes in the arches in Britain Station Road and Pop was large. In terms of ethnic composition and income.One of the reasons NR plans were opposed was that was the last bit of affordable Brixton.
I was trying to draw out that the cafe culture behaviour is similar, despite the economic or demographic differences in clientele. That culture is popular, but not universally so, it doesn't appeal to everyone irrespective of their disposable income. So while some people like a public space for sitting and chatting, others don't make the time, whether or not they could afford to. There certainly seems to be plenty of money in it, eateries, cafes and watering holes are apparently flourishing at the moment, and colonising new spaces where cafe culture can thrive.

Is that gentrification? not necessarily but it can certainly be one of the drivers. In Granville and Market Row it is, in Lisle St it is, I'd suggest that on one side of Station Road it is, and that dates back to San Marino taking over the old Lambeth BS office. The other side, where not so long ago there were far fewer cafes with tables on the pavement, well it's hard to argue it's full on gentrification but equally hard to say there's not a hint.

Is cafe culture more of a feature, or perhaps precursor, of gentrification than pedestrianisation? Can anyone think of a street lined with cafes with pavement tables that is not gentrifying, or already very wealthy? Apart from perhaps on the prom at seaside resort. Does anyone doubt that when the first cafe with tables outside appears on Electric Avenue that will mark a turning point in the process?

But you cant say anything. Rich = scum. Estate Agents= deserve a kicking. Say that and ( not saying you) one gets criticised.
I think what you perhaps mean is that you can't say anything on a feisty geographically local public forum without sometimes being challenged on it. Which is quite different to not being able to say anything, no?

Not being able to say anything would imply that you were under some sort of editorial or other threat of consequences if you posted off message. If that happened you might have just cause to complain about being silenced. Except that you probably wouldn't be allowed to complain!

One of the least "gentrified" streets in Brixton is pedestrian Electric Avenue.

Gentrification will no doubt come (it's being smartened up as we speak). And when it does it may eventually become the poshest street in Brixton,
because of the handsome and fairly unique architecture. But no one can say that it was its pedestrianisation which kicked it off. Or that pedestrianisation hasn't served retailers and shoppers at the lower end of the economic spectrum well for a long time.

Incidentally, it is remarkably dead at night.
can't argue with any of that, especially the bit in italics which is what the thread is about , ie improvements to the public realm made by local government and paid for from public funds rather than simply pedestrian areas that have been around for ages, the second last sentence in the post seem to mean something along the lines "the lower orders can fuck off now and be grateful for the good times" or is that just me ?

Last edited:
can't argue with any of that, especially the bit in italics which is what the thread is about , ie improvements to the public realm made by local government and paid for from public funds rather than simply pedestrian areas that have been around for ages, the last sentence in the post seem to mean something along the lines "the lower orders can fuck off now and be grateful for the good times" or is that just me ?
I think it simply means it is remarkably dead at night. Presumably because as of now (and heretofore) the businesses there are all purely retail, and many of the flats above the shops are empty and derelict - despite 4 decades of hand-wringing by the council (and the Brixton Society et al).

I think it simply means it is remarkably dead at night. Presumably because as of now (and heretofore) the businesses there are all purely retail, and many of the flats above the shops are empty and derelict - despite 4 decades of hand-wringing by the council (and the Brixton Society et al).

sorry post edited :thumbs:

Reactions: CH1

It's also rather gloomy with the dark and shabby steps and overhanging bit of the station. I suppose if it were cleaned up...

can't argue with any of that, especially the bit in italics which is what the thread is about , ie improvements to the public realm made by local government and paid for from public funds rather than simply pedestrian areas that have been around for ages, the last sentence in the post seem to mean something along the lines "the lower orders can fuck off now and be grateful for the good times" or is that just me ?
I expect it's just you and some posters.

commentary, yes I suppose so. Should one always advance a case when commenting, always have something to prove? I don't really see any need to have a single, principled view on whether pedestrianisation is causal or even necessarily related to gentrification. I can observe that there are bleak and empty pedestrianised 'traditional' shopping precincts on the one hand and clearly gentrified pedestrianised streets on the other. You mentioned the new upmarket places in congested Atlantic Rd, Rushy has now contrasted that with long-term tatty pedestrianised Electric Avenue yet all over Brixton unpedestrianised streets have gentrified at an alarming rate. But to deny that pedestrianisation can be a component of the changes would be ridiculous.

I was trying to draw out that the cafe culture behaviour is similar, despite the economic or demographic differences in clientele. That culture is popular, but not universally so, it doesn't appeal to everyone irrespective of their disposable income. So while some people like a public space for sitting and chatting, others don't make the time, whether or not they could afford to. There certainly seems to be plenty of money in it, eateries, cafes and watering holes are apparently flourishing at the moment, and colonising new spaces where cafe culture can thrive.

Is that gentrification? not necessarily but it can certainly be one of the drivers. In Granville and Market Row it is, in Lisle St it is, I'd suggest that on one side of Station Road it is, and that dates back to San Marino taking over the old Lambeth BS office. The other side, where not so long ago there were far fewer cafes with tables on the pavement, well it's hard to argue it's full on gentrification but equally hard to say there's not a hint.

Is cafe culture more of a feature, or perhaps precursor, of gentrification than pedestrianisation? Can anyone think of a street lined with cafes with pavement tables that is not gentrifying, or already very wealthy? Apart from perhaps on the prom at seaside resort. Does anyone doubt that when the first cafe with tables outside appears on Electric Avenue that will mark a turning point in the process?

The case of Brixton Station Road is an exception. The arches were taken over by North Africans and Portuguese. Cafe culture is not a fashion trend for them. For Portuguese Cafe Max is standard.

What is a new driver for gentrification in that part of Brixton is a cash strapped Council who see Network Rail as bringing large scale investment into Brixton. It will be the Council working with Network Rail who decide how that area is developed.

Another driver for gentrification is the power that large developers have. Behind the surface of gentrification is the pursuit of profit. Planning and elected Councils have been shown to be toothless. which is not a criticism of Council its how the system is set up to work.

It's underlying political issues like this that drive gentrification.

Last edited:
can't argue with any of that, especially the bit in italics which is what the thread is about , ie improvements to the public realm made by local government and paid for from public funds rather than simply pedestrian areas that have been around for ages, the second last sentence in the post seem to mean something along the lines "the lower orders can fuck off now and be grateful for the good times" or is that just me ?

You are right on this.

"the lower orders can fuck off now and be grateful for the good times"

Sums it up perfectly.

What teuchter is saying , if I get T right, is that improving areas for the benefit of all is not necessarily linked to gentrification.

On this I agree with Teuchter.

Cycling home today thinking on your posts I remembered reading Mike Davis "Planet of Slums". The problem with urbanisation in last 30 years is that its been done with Neo Liberalism as the political and economic orthodoxy.

This was not always the case. He does not use examples from this country. But as I have said the Brixton Rec is an example. As I have already posted. Capitalism and Capitalists have a parasitical relationship with society. They look for new ways to make a profit. Its not the fault of Councils building pedestrianised areas. Its developers like NR coming along looking at "improvements" and seeing how they can use this to increase there business/profits.

Public spaces with affordable places for people to mix is not gentrification. Its only become that due to Thatcherite economics and values being considered the norm by the "middle ground". ie New Labour and the Cameronite Tories.

There is no reason why there should not be car free spaces for ordinary people.

My remedy , as I have intimated, is hammering the rich and powerful as well. Changing planning guidelines to make sure that locals have real influence, bringing in rent controls for retail and housing, stop selling off land and building Council housing, making 50% affordable social rented on all large private developments with no argument. Would like to know which posters oppose these suggestions. Its the lack of what I have suggested in this paragraph that leads to gentrification. Not a few cafes on Brixton Station Road.

You make it sound like its a natural process that having affordable cafes run by ethnic minorities is a precursor to gentrification. Its not. This happens due to political and related economic ideas that are not inevitable.

Last edited:
No. Its the kind of view I hear a lot offline. Both here and in other parts of London.

cuppa tee is voicing what I hear offline around central London.
Just to clarify Gramsci, you agree with Cuppa that *my* post should be read as "the lower orders can fuck off now and be grateful for the good times" because you've heard people confirm that's what I meant all across London?

I've heard some people saying things in London too. Maybe we should start a separate thread.

:D One more time... all these people you have been chatting to across London have been agreeing with Cuppa's attribution of the sentiment "the lower orders can fuck off now and be grateful for the good times" to my post about pedestrianisation having worked well for the current traders on Electric Avenue?

some of this I agree with, but some of it lacks shades of grey.

What teuchter is saying , if I get T right, is that improving areas for the benefit of all is not necessarily linked to gentrification.

On this I agree with Teuchter.

Cycling home today thinking on your posts I remembered reading Mike Davis "Planet of Slums". The problem with urbanisation in last 30 years is that its been done with Neo Liberalism as the political and economic orthodoxy.

This was not always the case. He does not use examples from this country. But as I have said the Brixton Rec is an example. As I have already posted. Capitalism and Capitalists have a parasitical relationship with society. They look for new ways to make a profit. Its not the fault of Councils building pedestrianised areas. Its developers like NR coming along looking at "improvements" and seeing how they can use this to increase there business/profits.

Public spaces with affordable places for people to mix is not gentrification. Its only become that due to Thatcherite economics and values being considered the norm by the "middle ground". ie New Labour and the Cameronite Tories.

My remedy , as I have intimated, is hammering the rich and powerful as well. Changing planning guidelines to make sure that locals have real influence, bringing in rent controls for retail and housing, stop selling off land and building Council housing, making 50% affordable social rented on all large private developments with no argument. Would like to know which posters oppose these suggestions. Its the lack of what I have suggested in this paragraph that leads to gentrification. Not a few cafes on Brixton Station Road.

You make it sound like its a natural process that having affordable cafes run by ethnic minorities is a precursor to gentrification. Its not. This happens due to political and related economics that are not inevitable.

I don't have any problem with your paragraph of suggestions, though in the current climate all significant 'private developments' leave a bit of a sour taste. But it's not those policy failures that lead to gentrification: they're lacking in Sunderland or Rochdale just as much as in Brixton. They were lacking in Brixton before gentrification really kicked off, back when investment was called regeneration and the local 'public realm' discussions were about fly-tipping, litter, sharps and dogmess.

An unholy (and politically/economically motivated) alliance of the council, Network Rail, Foxtons, Pop and so on cannot create gentrification all by themselves. There's more to it than that. Otherwise they could engineer people to move to the northern towns, the ones that are actually depopulating.

Popularity begets gentrification. More people want to live (or own) here than can, leading to competition to buy their way in, squeezing out those already here without the money to compete. Unless you recognise that, and thus recognise that every incremental addition to the attractiveness of the area also adds to its popularity and promotes gentrification, istm you're (not you personally, 'one') baying at the moon. Keeping the public realm crap won't stop gentrification, but it doesn't accelerate it either.

You seem to be saying that because cafes on Station Road are run by 'ethnic minorities' they're somehow not a factor in gentrification. Really? Are only some units in Pop or Granville implicated, depending on the ethnicity of the owner? That just doesn't make sense. They're part of the same -fairly recent- trend, and while there are obvious differences between a champagne bar and a cafe with sport on the telly, there are also similarities.

So while I agree with your statement
it needs to be recognised that if/where pedestrianised public realm is popular, it's likely to become colonised by cafes, and that's likely to come hand in hand with gentrification. Planning- simply not giving permission for cafes, pavement tables, bars etc- could have ensured that Station Road remained like Electric Avenue, somewhere that spending is largely from the non-discretionary part of the household budget.

For me, it *is* a point of principle to support moves that favour the pedestrian, cyclist and public transport user. That doesn't mean full pedestrianisation is the solution in every situation but in nearly every situation, anything that reduces car dominance is a positive move.

Some people seem to think this is an extreme position, which I find a bit puzzling. We should support access to decent transport and decent public space for all, just like we should support access to decent housing and decent healthcare for all.

I observe that schemes aimed at reducing car dominance, including but not restricted to pedestrianisation, seem to get scapegoated and blamed for all sorts of things. I'll not go on about the reasons that happens here, but I think it is something that does happen. Pedestrianisation is linked to the death of town centres but it's not the thing that has created the underlying problem, just like immigrants aren't the underlying cause of reductions in local workers' conditions and so on.

More recently, people are attempting to blame things like pedestrianisation schemes for gentrification. Things that could benefit everyone get blocked because of lazy arguments that oversimplify everything. We can't ignore the context of gentrification processes when examining proposals for public space or streetscape. The point of this thread is not to pretend that context doesn't exist or is insignificant. The point is to try and look carefully at how to judge the balance of benefits and avoid a situation where the strategy to resist gentrification is effectively to deliberately make public space unpleasant for everyone. Meanwhile those with money can focus on making their own unshared private spaces nice for themselves (and that includes their cars and where they can drive them by the way).

Last edited:
For me, it *is* a point of principle to support moves that favour the pedestrian, cyclist and public transport user. That doesn't mean full pedestrianisation is the solution in every situation but in nearly every situation, anything that reduces car dominance is a positive move.

Some people seem to think this is an extreme position, which I find a bit puzzling. We should support access to decent transport and decent public space for all, just like we should support access to decent housing and decent healthcare for all.

I observe that schemes aimed at reducing car dominance, including but not restricted to pedestrianisation, seem to get scapegoated and blamed for all sorts of things. I'll not go on about the reasons that happens here, but I think it is something that does happen. Pedestrianisation is linked to the death of town centres but it's not the thing that has created the underlying problem, just like immigrants aren't the underlying cause of reductions in local workers' conditions and so on.

More recently, people are attempting to blame things like pedestrianisation schemes for gentrification. Things that could benefit everyone get blocked because of lazy arguments that oversimplify everything. We can't ignore the context of gentrification processes when examining proposals for public space or streetscape. The point of this thread is not to pretend that context doesn't exist or is insignificant. The point is to try and look carefully at how to judge the balance of benefits and avoid a situation where the strategy to resist gentrification is effectively to deliberately make public space unpleasant for everyone. Meanwhile those with money can focus on making their own unshared private spaces nice for themselves (and that includes their cars and where they can drive them by the way).

fair enough. You seem to be declaring that your point of principle overrides your antipathy to gentrification. Someone else, starting from a different point of principle, may (equally reasonably) have entirely the opposite view. Being principled, those views are fundamentally irreconcilable.

Both (and other) views have merit. It's obviously not an entirely binary argument, but if it were it's fairly plain that your pov will currently trump your opponent, because you're swimming with the tide of popularity and political will.

Of course, you must recognise that your principled position has consequences, intended or otherwise, which impact unfavourably mostly on those least able to defend themselves. The benefits, whether reduced exposure to pollution or improved quality of life, are shared more evenly, ie they accrue at least as much to those who have most (who are further encouraged into the area) as they do to those with least.

That stick in my craw somewhat, but then I can't argue that the social harm wrought by gentrification should be resisted at all costs, because among the consequences of keeping 'the public realm crap' are included harm to health and quality of life, for all but especially for the poor who live in ungentrified areas. Had we, the people of Brixton, fully resisted gentrification we would all still be living with the squalor and deprivation of previous decades, to the detriment of the poorest.

<which, going back, is why I tend not to a have a single, principled view about this or most other topics. It's always too complicated and there's seldom a monopoly of truth and justice on only one side of any argument.>

I don't have any problem with your paragraph of suggestions, though in the current climate all significant 'private developments' leave a bit of a sour taste. But it's not those policy failures that lead to gentrification: they're lacking in Sunderland or Rochdale just as much as in Brixton. They were lacking in Brixton before gentrification really kicked off, back when investment was called regeneration and the local 'public realm' discussions were about fly-tipping, litter, sharps and dogmess.

An unholy (and politically/economically motivated) alliance of the council, Network Rail, Foxtons, Pop and so on cannot create gentrification all by themselves. There's more to it than that. Otherwise they could engineer people to move to the northern towns, the ones that are actually depopulating.

Popularity begets gentrification. More people want to live (or own) here than can, leading to competition to buy their way in, squeezing out those already here without the money to compete. Unless you recognise that, and thus recognise that every incremental addition to the attractiveness of the area also adds to its popularity and promotes gentrification, istm you're (not you personally, 'one') baying at the moon. Keeping the public realm crap won't stop gentrification, but it doesn't accelerate it either.

You seem to be saying that because cafes on Station Road are run by 'ethnic minorities' they're somehow not a factor in gentrification. Really? Are only some units in Pop or Granville implicated, depending on the ethnicity of the owner? That just doesn't make sense. They're part of the same -fairly recent- trend, and while there are obvious differences between a champagne bar and a cafe with sport on the telly, there are also similarities.

So while I agree with your statement

it needs to be recognised that if/where pedestrianised public realm is popular, it's likely to become colonised by cafes, and that's likely to come hand in hand with gentrification. Planning- simply not giving permission for cafes, pavement tables, bars etc- could have ensured that Station Road remained like Electric Avenue, somewhere that spending is largely from the non-discretionary part of the household budget.

On the unholy alliance. I was trying to propose what the underlying causes of gentrification are. And a realistic way to oppose them. I was actually trying to get away from some of the arguments that have gone on this forum about coffee bars etc.

If the underlying causes are dealt with then my argument is that gentrification will no longer be an issue.

I was focusing on London. As you have widened it to outside London. Why does gentrification not happen in some area outside London? In case of London the rot set in when Thatcher deregulated the City in the Big Bang. London became a world city for the financial sector. Gentrification is not a very good word for it. Outside London. Another legacy of Thatcher is the de industrialisation of the other parts of the country and the economy ending up centred around London as a financial centre. With all the need for people to service this. The unholy alliance wont engineer people to move to the Northern towns - that is not how the economy works. Its one of the problems with it.

I make a difference between those who think gentrification is just what happens. Its a natural process of change. Its all very unfortunate but thats how life is. ( Also those who say this but in practise welcome it/ do not oppose it).

And those who believe it should be opposed but disagree in some of the causes of it.

I think you are in the second camp.

In Brixton today. Someone I know asked me about the new decorated pedestrian crossings on Atlantic road/ CHL crossing. Said I rather liked them.

Then they said the new crossing annoyed them. That Brixton was being made nice for the new middle classes. Saw all this new arty stuff as being allowed now.

That the Afro Carribbeans were first asked to come here ( Windrush) to help rebuild post war London. Back years ago if someone from that background did tagging etc they were liable to be arrested.

Its all different now. They didn’t like improvements, like the new crossing, saw it as being for the new ( white) middle class.

Then they got onto as they put it the gentrification of the shops opposite the Barrier Block. Sign that it will happen to LJ in future given time.

I can understand where they are coming from. I dont think they were saying to keep Brixton crap. What they were saying was that this was not for them. Its a case of an improvement to the public realm not being seen as a positive.

Last edited:

This is wrong. Stepping back a bit to try to see the larger picture is one way of thinking about a complicated issue like gentrification.

The shades of grey then can be seen not as causes but as symptoms.

I may have a rant on this forum every know and again but I also try to step back a bit sometimes as well.

In Brixton today. Someone I know asked me about the new decorated pedestrian crossings on Atlantic road/ CHL crossing. Said I rather liked them.

Then they said the new crossing annoyed them. That Brixton was being made nice for the new middle classes. Saw all this new arty stuff as being allowed now.

That the Afro Carribbeans were first asked to come here ( Windrush) to help rebuild post war London. Back years ago if someone from that background did tagging etc they were liable to be arrested.

Its all different now. They didn’t like improvements, like the new crossing, saw it as being for the new ( white) middle class.

Then they got onto as they put it the gentrification of the shops opposite the Barrier Block. Sign that it will happen to LJ in future given time.

I can understand where they are coming from. I dont think they were saying to keep Brixton crap. What they were saying was that this was not for them. Its a case of an improvement to the public realm not being seen as a positive.
not just me then. I was wondering the other day why I find myself shopping in Streatham more and Brixton less but couldn't quite put a finger on it as well as that person. colonisation was the word that came to mind.

I think that objecting to "arty" crossings is a bit paranoid.
My problem with crossings is when they take about 10 minutes to change - such as the one between the Beehive and Ferndale Road, or the one near Villa Road crossing over to the 336 building.

On the unholy alliance. I was trying to propose what the underlying causes of gentrification are. And a realistic way to oppose them. I was actually trying to get away from some of the arguments that have gone on this forum about coffee bars etc.

If the underlying causes are dealt with then my argument is that gentrification will no longer be an issue.

I was focusing on London. As you have widened it to outside London. Why does gentrification not happen in some area outside London? In case of London the rot set in when Thatcher deregulated the City in the Big Bang. London became a world city for the financial sector. Gentrification is not a very good word for it. Outside London. Another legacy of Thatcher is the de industrialisation of the other parts of the country and the economy ending up centred around London as a financial centre. With all the need for people to service this. The unholy alliance wont engineer people to move to the Northern towns - that is not how the economy works. Its one of the problems with it.

I make a difference between those who think gentrification is just what happens. Its a natural process of change. Its all very unfortunate but thats how life is. ( Also those who say this but in practise welcome it/ do not oppose it).

And those who believe it should be opposed but disagree in some of the causes of it.

I think you are in the second camp.

I've been trying to work out how to inject some shades of grey without writing a huge, messy essay. Suffice to say that for decades London was rapidly depopulating, since when the accelerating desire to live here has reflected the individual agency of millions of people. Of course the political climate matters, but to attribute that huge change in attitude to a single government policy implies that with a different policy population decline would have continued (and that would have been a good thing?). I don't think that's credible, but to claim there was a 'natural process' at work would be equally wrong.

We are not homogenous, and like any economic shock, gentrification bears very unevenly on us. For some people the effects are life-changingly negative, others are affected not at all, or are affected positively. There is no equality of outcome.

There's a large pool of potential victims, victims of the political abandonment of social housing and planning controls, victims of the decline in the economic importance of non-cognitive labour, victims of other forces equally far beyond their individual or collective control. Those people may pay heavily for gentrification (they may not, there's an element of personal good- or ill-fortune involved) but as a group they're vulnerable to losing their agency and potentially being forced out of London, against their will. They include the large, precarious and vulnerable, group who have insecure housing and/or work yet choose to spend a huge proportion of their income for the perceived benefit of living here. Their agency, their desire to be here whatever it takes, puts each of them in direct competition, one with the next, and forms a large part of the pressure that manifests as social cleansing.

There are also, of course, all those with (so far) secure homes and incomes for whom the impacts of the changes are mainly backdrop, in many cases quite positive, and not only for homeowners. And so on, there's 8 or more million of us and we've all got our own circumstances and our own exposure to the risks and benefits of gentrification.

What is common amongst us is that we all, week by week, choose to live here. Very few of us choose to inflict harm on others but the cumulative effect of our millions of personal decisions has, for many years now and increasingly, harmed some of our fellow Londoners by driveing them into debt, into losing their home, into relationship breakdown and eventually into leaving London. Social cleansing of those at the sharp end.

Yet while not wishing harm on anyone, collectively local people have consistently voted in a neo-liberal Labour council for the last decade or so, with an increased majority at each election. So, perhaps unsurprisingly, we have a council that thinks it has a mandate for its clear pro-wealth agenda.

We can, individually or collectively, oppose specific political decisions, planning applications or whatever, sometimes successfully.

What we've been unable to do, at least since regeneration turned to gentrification, is oppose the collective agency of our fellow Londoners. And would-be Londoners, who'll be here in a flash if they can achieve it, whether they're coming from the other side of the world with little or nothing or from the Home Counties with a good degree and a plummy accent. We can't stop this being an attractive place to live to modern eyes, or even agree on keeping the public realm crap in order to reduce the attractions. We can't stop people clamouring to move here. We may wish there was a clamour to move to northern towns, it would solve an awful lot of problems, but we're not personally wanting to do that. We don't want social cleansing but our own agency reinforces the pressures which cause it, because each of us wants to live in Brixton/London.

I'm afraid I've written the huge, messy essay anyway.

I've been trying to work out how to inject some shades of grey without writing a huge, messy essay.
I believe that many people who actively chose to live in Brixton pre 2005 [approxiately] saw Brixton as a life choice with a transcendental meaning, involving a rejection of the consumer society and embracing empathy for the poor, disadvantaged and otherwise marginalised.

Lately on the contrary Brixton appears to be transitioning into a sort of lesser Bullingdon Club orgy of affluence and hedonism beyond the reach of ordinary people.

No more down at heal gay poets squatting in Railton Road. It's all about getting the £1,200 deposit from Daddy so you can rent a shared flat from a well-known Brixton entrepreneur and whoop it up in the Villaage or Pop or whatever. Not forgetting having a moan if you aren't allowed allowed in Brixton beach with your tracksuit bottoms.

That is it for me. Not your geography lesson - it's all about transitioning from fiercely proud rebel to someone who simply doesn't count because now it's not who you are, or what your values are - its how valuable is your bank account.

Back
Top Bottom