Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keep Paddick Campaign

Maybe.

Call me old fashioned, but I think it's rather rude to bellow 'shutup' at a woman whose son has been killed. Her protest that the applause for Paddick was 'offensive' was shouted down. Not by you drf, I'm sure, probably no-one here, but it left a bad taste.

There seemed little room for reality checks in amongst the clapping, cheering and hero worship.

I was in California the day Clinton first got elected. People were very literally dancing in the streets and talking about the promised land. I felt very much the cynic as I said Brits would never be so naive. Looks like I was wrong.

Hmm - well, yes and no. She was distressed and not entirely coherent. I think that it is possible that she was being "used" by other people. I am extremely sorry for her loss, but where is it written that the bereaved are excused from good manners? There were many people there with stories to tell - why did she have to disrupt the meeting? It didn't help her case, didn't help her story to be told? The people who shouted "shut up" did so because they couldn't understand what she was saying or why

Excellent - Brian Paddick gets cheered and Britney Spears gets booed all in one day

I'm a very happy man

Nigel D

Having managed to turn up half an hour late (work) and in the wrong place (missed the Lambeth Assembly Halls bit), what happened? Ended up playing pool in the Albert. What's the next event that I shall inevitably get wrong?

It was an entertaining evening. I thought the arrival of Brian seemed all too contrived. But I am sure that he's in the world of politics now, this is a campaign and he will need to act like it is to get anywhere.

It was also rather pleasing to see people coming together, something that seems too rare in this day and age, especially to back a policeman, a gay policeman. Maybe the world is changing...if only very slowly.

Who isn't being used?

Never having been in a pro-police rally before perhaps I shouldn't be shocked that protesters are shouted down. I have been in Brixton crowds before though, and would never have thought one would tell her that their Messiah was more important than her son.

She could have made her protest more effectively, of course, though I think she was taken by surprise by the ovation when BP arrived. Should she have kept quiet? How should a dissident black woman behave when a (predominantly) white liberal crowd goes into hero mode? Presumably with all due deference whilst taking care not to disrupt.

Can't improve on drfranni's excellent summary.

Just saw it on the news as well - felt it was a pity they didn't include the rabbi, who came across as particularly thoughtful to me (had to laugh at L.J.'s 'mosque' gaffe though).

On the other hand, they *did* include hatboy - quite a coup given that there were 8 or 9 speakers on the panel, plus the same number again from the audience, to choose from. He was shown as an example of the "anti-establishment figures" supporting Brian - how did they figure he's anti-establishment then, was it the hat?

Newbie-

There seemed little room for reality checks in amongst the clapping, cheering and hero worship

But this was clearly the wrong place for a critical view of Paddick. It was a show of support, not a debate. The objective was to have him reinstated, on the basis that his 'temporary move pending an investigation' was unfair. The majority view was that he had been doing a good job in Lambeth. Even if this turned out to be incorrect, his dismissal because of a smear campaign about his sexuality etc. would be no less unjust.

i had to leave after the speech from the 2nd gay policeman 'cos of a prior engagement. were there comments and questions from the floor?

has anyone seen any tabloid coverage?

i thought it was a positive and upbeat meeting. let's hope it helps :)

I felt really sorry for Ricky Bishops Mum. She actually spoke at an inappropriate time before there were questions from the floor . She got shouted down when she she said something about being from the black community and something about not being into homosexuality and was shouted down because she was mistaken for a homophobe. I think she was cynically and horribly used by others with quite different agendas. The fact remains that Ricky Bishop died as a result of swallowing about 20 rocks of crack. Crack was what killed him. He was not murdered. I was asked later why I didn't challenge her. As a mother, I didn't want to piss on her grief.

sheesh reggaeboy

This is a political campaign, not brainwashing. I know we're all born again pro-police but I didn't realise the model was the Conservative Party conference. [As an aside, LJ rather gave the game away- did anyone notice that during the first vote he declared the result unanimous before asking for abstentions? He didn't ask for Noes at all.]

If the mother of a man killed in police custody get shouted down in a Brixton meeting about policing, where can she expect a fair hearing ?

Originally posted by newbie
LJ rather gave the game away- did anyone notice that during the first vote he declared the result unanimous before asking for abstentions? He didn't ask for Noes at all
In the ten years that I have known Lee Jasper I have learnt that Lee Jaspers main agenda has been Lee Jasper. I'm surprised he didn't do the Blair quote about 'the hand of history upon his shoulder'

Another day yeah! I referred to Ricky Bishop's mum's dissenting voice. And said that she had more chance of getting the answers/justice she wants with Brian Paddick than without him.

I want to start a new thread but I wont. Look, tonight was history making. A cop given an standing ovation by 300 members of his community - in Brixton, of all places - is a moment of political change. Its as simple as that. Dissent and criticism are part and parcel (deaths in custody), but if anyone is going to take those issues on, from what I've heard, it's Brian Paddick. If anyone would have posited this scenario one month ago they would have been steelgated.

I'm gobsmacked. We are at the cusp of something major. It has personified itself tonight. We will win this. BP will be reinstated. Policing in this country will change. Media in this country will change. That is fucking incredible.
gx

wow!!

WELL...... if what you say is true...... that is a VERY big thing INDEED... IT'S RARE THAT I BUY, LET ALONE READ NEWSPAPERS.... but i shall get a copy in the morning (or whenever i wake up),and see what is being said..... if the type of change is the type of change that i really want to see happen..... well that TRULY would be history.... a profound and major,shift in the 'system'... and a very desperately needed one..... i will reserve judgement for now.... i'm watching the space, y'all!! could it be that humanitarianism is actually going to give birth to a major chain-reaction?? i can't quite believe this....... but like i said... i'll wait and see..

From Ananova Paddick supporters demand reinstatement

Police chief Brian Paddick has made a dramatic entrance at a meeting called by his supporters who want him to be reinstated in his old job.

He appeared at the meeting in Brixton organised by Lambeth Community Police Consultative Group.

He thanked the audience of 300 people, who gave him a standing ovation, and apologised for interrupting the meeting.

The 43-year-old head of Lambeth police has been moved to a desk job at Scotland Yard pending an investigation into allegations by his former gay lover that he smoked cannabis in their home.

The officer had already courted controversy by pioneering an approach to cannabis in which those caught with the drug were not prosecuted. He also revealed on a web site that he found the concept of anarchy appealing.

Commander Paddick said: "I just wanted to come along to thank all of you here and the literally hundreds of people who have written to me and emailed their support of me - from the grandmother in Scotland to the former Chief Constable of Devon and Cornwall.

"All I want to do is to come back and serve the people of Lambeth. I hope I'm going to be allowed to do that very soon but in the meantime thank you very much."

He then left and refused to answer further questions.

Group chairman Lee Jasper read out a statement from London Mayor Ken Livingstone which claimed Commander Paddick would have fared better if he was not gay.

The statement read: "There can be little doubt that Commander Paddick would not now be in the position he finds himself were it not for his sexuality. The campaign which has been orchestrated against him has been highly homophobic, intrusive and personal, and threatens to deter lesbian and gay officers in the force from coming out to their colleagues."

Also check out: Paddick returns to Lambeth to standing ovation (BBC)

Thoughts on Town Hall Meeting

I think many of the people who shouted down Ricky Bishop's mum didn't realise the background - the general rumpus meant that what she was saying wasn't clear to more than the people immediately around her. And yes Mrs Magpie she was being used, not only by the Unison guy, but also by a steely young woman carrying a reporter's notebook. Clearly, she was distraught. Hatboys response was thoughtful, measured and correct.

Seemed to me that the most useful contributions from the platform came from those who focussed on the issues - policing by consent, innovation and commitment, and the pernicious power of the gutter press. They came from the Rabbi, the Reverend (and his sweet reference to Johnny Mathis and Little Richard!) and the Green's Man.

Again, Mrs Magpie I think you're right about Lee Jasper being about Lee Jasper - and his being his Master's Voice - was I the only person who felt he read KL's letter out rather in the manner that Parish Priests used to read out letters from the Bishop? (left-footer upbringing I'm afraid!) I think the contributions from the L&G Police Association and from the Black Police Association focussed as much on their own organisations as the issues in Lambeth - welcome solidarity, but not the core of the matter.

In fact, I'm not convinced that the campaign against BP is primarilly homophobic, but exploits homophobia for other ends. David Aaronovich put it well in the Indy last week.

"The Paddick affair is beginning to resemble a similar struggle [to the Dreyfus affair] for the British police force, with the commander representing collateral damage in the right's campaign against "liberal" policing and the Government................

In the first instance it [the Daily Mail's campaign] seeks to convince us that we all ought to live in constant fear – fear of crime, fear of moral collapse, fear of outsiders. Every resource is pressed into the service of this Kulturkampf.............

Enter Paddick, the most senior gay police officer, the man in charge of an area where the laws against possessing cannabis are not being pressed very harshly, and a bloke with a bit of a gob on him. And they hate him. They really do."

http://argument.independent.co.uk/regular_columnists/david_aaronovitch/story.jsp?story=275958

I did think that BP's appearance was a high risk strategy on his part - it is sometimes not a good thing to force your opponents into a corner. I imagine that the last thing the powers that be will countenance is being seen to capitulate to a populist campaign - they have capitulated already to a squalid newspaper, but maybe had little choice given that allegations of disciplinary offences were made.

Which lead me to wonder who is playing the long game here? Presumably PB could not have instituted his policy without the approval of his superiors? Might not the scenario be:

New Labour comes to power promising a war on drugs headed by a tough talking "Drugs Tsar". Prominant in it's strategy is the "gateway" status of cannabis and the avowal, by Jack Straw and the Tsar, never to countenance its legalisation. Part conviction, part abeyance to Middle England.

The war on drugs manifestly failing and the realisation that many in Middle England are well aware what their children and grand-children get up to and are not convinced that they have spawned criminals. Even the blue-rinses in the Tory Party were uneased by Doris's rantings, leading half the shadow cabinet to fess up to student tokes.

So, how's about setting up trial to ease off a bit, led by a gobby gay policeman in some suburb of Sodom and Gomerah, well away from Middle England. He can take the flak whilst the trial is underway - if it fails, he;s dispensible and if it suceeds, well lots of photo-opportunities for Mr Blunkett and his dog in South London, and "roll-outs" (and roll-ups) left, right and centre.

And so it might have gone, had not the Mail found the right person to open their chequebook to (with or without the help of moles in New Scotland Yard, we'll never know.)

Under this scenario, it's quite possible that the Commisioner, the Police Authority and their masters are as desparate to find a resolution as everyone else, apart of course from the Mail. In which case, BP's appearance may not have been so risky after all.

Getting a bit late here,

Best,

Pooka

PS Telling article in Tuesday's Times - "Why the Tories should support Commander Paddick" by one Michael Gove (no leftie he!)

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,482-247828,00.html

And also BP to answer questions live on the Times website at 4:00 pm on Wednesday - maybe some of us should go and bowl some nice, slow underarm jobbies.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/section/0,,989,00.html

Pro-police meeting in Brixton (I just had to type it to believe that it's true!)

It was a bit weird to come back from the Albert and find the boards a bit negative. So after talking about it with my kids, I have come back to the keyboard.

I have lived in Brixton since the first riot in Brixton in April 1981. Brixton was really good to me when I was at my lowest ebb, and I have done more than OK here, through thick and thin. Some of the most wonderful people from all over the world that I have ever met, live here too. I have really tried to put back something into the place that I love. I have been very involved in local issues. I have sat through the most mind-numbingly pointless meetings from 6pm till 10.30pm at night, month after fucking month, year after fucking year when I'd far rather be at home or in the Albert. I have attended meetings with Lambeth policemen where it would have been more productive to repeatedly bang my head against a brick wall. I have attended police stations as a a Lay Visitor where I have been put down as a busybody do-gooder white liberal by the police and as a grass by the detainees. My kids have wailed, "Mum, why do you do these meetings? You don't get paid for it and we want you at home!" I have defended Brixton to outsiders more times than I felt like. I have been a goodwill ambassador for Brixton when I felt like slagging it off. I have arrived at Victoria Station after a day away to hear that my town has been bombed and that my husband and son missed the blast by minutes. My family have been victims of serious crime, including arson and robbery. I live in a really shite tower block that the Guide Dogs for the Blind says is not fit for one of their dogs. No one can accuse me of not caring about, or of not understanding at least some of the problems that Brixton faces.

Tonight went a long way towards making me feel that it has not been a complete waste of time. I also felt that there were individuals who used the meeting for their own agendas, which took the edge off my joy (I do not count Ricky Bishops mother amongst these). It was great to see faces on the platform that have worked hard for Lambeth over the years, particularly Mike Franklin and Lloyd Leon. It pissed me off that the only woman on the platform, Jane Warwick, who has been the administrator for the CPCG, the Lay Visitors and Victim Support for donkeys years, was not introduced by Lee Jasper by her job title or even with her surname. It was great when Brian Paddick turned up. (If you want to know why Brixton thinks he is so fab, look around Urban75, it's all here amongst the posts.) I am glad that there was a huge spontaneous cheer. It didn't surprise me, because he has always regarded us in Brixton as allies, not as means to furthering his career and he was there to thank us for our support and we appreciated him being there. There were about three or four dissenting voices tonight, out of easily three hundred. (Best attended meeting I have ever been to in Brixton that didn't involve free booze, music or food!) I think Brian Paddick has achieved something incredible in Brixton. I really hope he comes home soon.

Big respect to all

I'm really really sorry I missed this, no excuses really.

Excellent posts above particularly Pooka and Mrs Magpie.

Are there any transcripts/summaries of relevant speeches eg the one from hatboy?

Some Standard coverage here -- not too negative :)

Back to reality

I too have mixed feelings about last night's meeting, which I'll air (to the extent that they haven't already been covered by newbie and pooka) when I have more time.

But right now, can I urge a shift from self-congratulation to a focus on the (short-term) political agenda?

We're committed to campaigning for Paddick's reinstatement NOW. Not after the inquiry, not when the fuss has died down, but NOW.

How are we going to go about this?

Quick comment: The Standard report isn't bad, but - tellingly - the only two links at the foot of the article are:

Jamaica detective held on gun charge
Constable arrested in drugs leak case

Aye, theoderic. BP is playing the all-out media game - 'Today' this morning, Times this afternoon. He has effectively taken on the role of his own supporters. So, apart from petitions and public meetings, what do u suggest? direct action? ;)
gx

[webackpaddick@bigissue.com]

nb ditto excellent posts above. (Mine was a bit 'tired and emotional', but the sentiment still stands)

Gribby - Now I know what you meant when you said `are you coming tonight`. D'oh! Must change my sub-moniker...

Sounds good though. Well done organising types. Watch those Red Kens and Lee Jasps though, especially when they're behind u.

A reminder: you can find loads of links to various Paddick press articles and comments and a pic from last night's meeting here

Well done to everybody in da house last night. Hatboy, sounds like you did us proud.

I keep thinking about the old days when Thatcher and The Mail ( same entity ) banned the GLC. No more huge street party's, no more big summer outdoor gigs that were a feature of my london life in the 80's, no more cheap fares. Basically no more fun. This for me is the Mail issue. They do not want us to have fun. They do not believe in 'the people'. Its so much easier to hate and long for a police state because then they will not have to worry about being left out anymore because nobodies having a good time anywhere anyway.

The right wing soul has always been born out of envy and bitterness and the hurt of being left out. And the harder they try to destroy the liberals, the 'do-gooders', the ravers, the hippies, the clubbers, the alternative lifestylers, etc. the more they reveal themselves to be the misfits they are. Albeit dangerous misfits.

Blimey - is that the time?

Spot on Adi - the people from Associated Newspapers who attempted to make me and Mikee and Offshore look like strange, marginal people were people who knew little about life. Sheepishly admitting that they didn't see much going on in Pimlico and Chiswick (I asked where they were from). They are the empty vessels not us.

You're dead right Adi, the sort of people who write for and read The Daily Mail absolutely hate the idea of individuals being free spirits and able to spontaneously enjoy themselves.

Its the mindset of the embittered control freak, terribly fearful of anything "different", who views other people as use objects, not as free individuals.

Back
Top Bottom