Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just leaving that to hang like the bad fart it is...

At least, they invited one team. Hamburg-based Altona 93 and their supporters arrived last week for their annual game against the Hamlet in an age-old tradition stretching back to 2015.

With nothing in common except that they were both founded in 1893, it’s a strange match-up on the surface. It can also cause confusion at half time when one fan turns to you and declares his intention to eat a Hamburger.

Really capturing the Spirit of Freundschaft there.

We get the piss taken out of us because we try to do things differently, the culture of English football is a right wing cesspit and the commentariat is riven with dinosaurs. I wont have some hack (supposed fan) operating under a pseudonym taking ill informed pot shots at the hard work of the club, volunteers and individual fans. The club has shortcomings and these are fair game none of these are covered by this piece.

The comment about Altona alone should have been enough to merit an editor worth their salt to send the piece back to the author with enough red ink to paint a house. The cartoon which effectively expunges our predominantly black working class, south-london player base is more sinister. What other progressive aspects of our club culture are we supposed to blithely accept as a target for gags...? There are some other fairly dodgy semiotics (see Rowson/Guardian affair of earlier this year)...

Last edited:
We get the piss taken out of us because we try to do things differently, the culture of English football is a right wing cesspit and the commentariat is riven with dinosaurs. I wont have some hack (supposed fan) operating under a pseudonym taking ill informed pot shots at the hard work of the club, volunteers and individual fans. The club has shortcomings and these are fair game none of these are covered by this piece.

The comment about Altona alone should have been enough to merit an editor worth their salt to send the piece back to the author with enough red ink to paint a house. The cartoon which effectively expunges our predominantly black working class player base is more sinister. What other progressive aspects of our club culture supposed to blithely accept as a target for gags...?

I think you've perhaps misinterpreted what I meant, if that was aimed at me. The whole tone of that article is patronising pish, filled with "ohhh, look at us, aren't we zany" tropes. That's what gets us ripped at times, we do have fans that are like that. That's what I meant.

There's no mention of the fund raising done on either side to get these games on. That's annoying as fuck. And well spotted on the cartoon thing, that had passed me by.

I'd like to know what merits the publication of a piece so marred with inaccuracies? Unless the desire is to mock the club?

That's it from me, I just think that publications need to be responsible for their content.

I'd like to know what merits the publication of a piece so marred with inaccuracies? Unless the desire is to mock the club?

That's it from me, I just think that publications need to be responsible for their content.

So you prefer straightforward censorship to education and dialogue?

Thing is, I imagine his opinions are quite representative of what a lot of new fans think. Most have no idea of the connection between Hamlet and Altona and the hugely disappointing turnout for the Clunis testimonial seems to echo the disconnect between 'our' Hamlet and how new fans view the club.

But you are hereby invited to submit an article raising your criticisms of the guest column which will, of course, be completely uncensored. Here's your chance to address the mistakes and hopefully make him a better writer. Are you up for that?

And just to put a bit of perspective into this: since 2012 Buzz has published many, many hundreds of articles about Hamlet, almost all of them positive. And before that, there was many articles on the urban75 blog dating back to 2008.

We play Altona every season do we? Could have sworn this was only the second time ever at home. Ho hum.

What is the drivel about trialists about? This is literally what every non-league team will be doing right now, as well as many league teams. All the other dross about them is utterly patronising. At best the cartoon is just weird, and just don't get it. However, I fear what Latahs says is more accurate.

Rio Ferdinand made an offer to the hedge fund/property developer owners to buy the ground, not to buy the club. They turned it down as they thought they could get more for the ground once planning was approved. We are still waiting to see if they will.

Finally, silly season is April/May when some teams have to play 3-4 times a week to clear backlogs of fixtures and has nothing to do with pre-season.

If these articles are going to continue, then can editor please ensure the author does more research and are less patronising. Alternatively, just send them back... There's plenty to champion at the club. How about something on the women's team or features on new players in the men's squad.

We play Altona every season do we? Could have sworn this was only the second time ever at home. Ho hum.

What is the drivel about trialists about? This is literally what every non-league team will be doing right now, as well as many league teams. All the other dross about them is utterly patronising. At best the cartoon is just weird, and just don't get it. However, I fear what Latahs says is more accurate.

Rio Ferdinand made an offer to the hedge fund/property developer owners to buy the ground, not to buy the club. They turned it down as they thought they could get more for the ground once planning was approved. We are still waiting to see if they will.

Finally, silly season is April/May when some teams have to play 3-4 times a week to clear backlogs of fixtures and has nothing to do with pre-season.

If these articles are going to continue, then can editor please ensure the author does more research and are less patronising. Alternatively, just send them back... There's plenty to champion at the club. How about something on the women's team or features on new players in the men's squad.
I shall certainly be forwarding the comments to him, and your feedback on Buzz really helps.

I'll happily write you an article, if you promise to tag it to the top of every future piece covering DHFC by this guy like BBC fact check. We all know that the glib misinformation travels further and faster than the truth so we have to cut it off and challenge it dont we?

Editor, you've done so much to help the club over the years, this was a real let down.

Ironically the author seems to fit exactly the stereotype of "triallist" supporter he seeks to ridicule. The ill-informed comments about Altona being a random opponent for an "annual" fixture, and sarcastically describing it as "an age old tradition dating back to 2015" is just plain bloody ignorant. The friendship between the clubs was explained at length across several articles and interviews in the match day programme. If there were triallist supporters, who had to make an impression in pre-season as triallist players do, I think we can safely say this bloke wouldn't land himself a contract.

I live in hope that one day these amateur sociologists, who seem to show up at the drop of a hat and write judgemental tripe about those of us who support the Hamlet, will find another vehicle for their lame brand of humour. It's already been done to death.

Last edited:
So you prefer straightforward censorship to education and dialogue?

Thing is, I imagine his opinions are quite representative of what a lot of new fans think. Most have no idea of the connection between Hamlet and Altona and the hugely disappointing turnout for the Clunis testimonial seems to echo the disconnect between 'our' Hamlet and how new fans view the club.

But you are hereby invited to submit an article raising your criticisms of the guest column which will, of course, be completely uncensored. Here's your chance to address the mistakes and hopefully make him a better writer. Are you up for that?

And just to put a bit of perspective into this: since 2012 Buzz has published many, many hundreds of articles about Hamlet, almost all of them positive. And before that, there was many articles on the urban75 blog dating back to 2008.
If your intention in publishing it was to send up the author and his ilk then that’s actually brilliant, am very into that.

I'll happily write you an article, if you promise to tag it to the top of every future piece covering DHFC by this guy like BBC fact check. We all know that the glib misinformation travels further and faster than the truth so we have to cut it off and challenge it dont we?

Editor, you've done so much to help the club over the years, this was a real let down.
Happy to do so. I know you don't get it, but articles like his can actually help the club in the long run. Already it's highlighted the almighty disconnect between new fans and the values and history of the club.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be harsh, but I don't know how that was ever published. Surely there's got to be some degree of quality control?

It's not remotely clear what this is supposed to be - is it supposed to be funny? An outsider's view? An insider's view? Is the author trying to say that non-league is shit? It's a completely incoherent mess from someone who's trying to pretend to know what they're talking about but very obviously doesn't. .

As this thread had shown and through personal experience, there are plenty of supporters that are talented writers. Surely we could correct pish pieces like this dinlow has written with our own pieces about the club? A new fanzine perhaps, independent of the club but working alongside Urban etc?

Just kind of chucking ideas out there .

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be harsh, but I don't know how that was ever published. Surely there's got to be some degree of quality control?

It's not remotely clear what this is supposed to be - is it supposed to be funny? An outsider's view? An insider's view? Is the author trying to say that non-league is shit? It's a completely incoherent mess from someone who's trying to pretend to know what they're talking about but very obviously doesn't. .
This. I would genuinely like to understand what he was trying to do.

I'm happy to write an article too.

I'm not a Hamlet "fan". I've never been to a game. I'm from Tonbridge Angels country. But I've 100% loved the times when the rabble have come down here, been to the pubs on the way, enjoyed the match (whatever outcome) and then done the reverse trip.

I love football and don't (oddly enough) actually support a team becaise I've been a kids coach. And a fantasy football team fan which spoiled any chance of supporting a team.

I'd be more than happy to do this.

Message me I guess so I know where to send it to.

Back
Top Bottom