Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jesus army nomore

Even seeing their excessively decorated buses a few times in the midlands area decades ago was enough to give me the creeps, glad I never came into real contact with this shit cult.

I see it survived about 10 years and one week longer than its founder.

Grim.

uk-48447066

Hundreds of former members of the Jesus Army are seeking damages for alleged abuse inside the religious sect.

Ex-members have told the BBC how children suffered sexual, physical and emotional abuse on a "prolific scale", with most claims relating to incidents in the 1980s and 1990s.

The Baptist sect is to close but is the subject of a renewed police inquiry.

The Jesus Army has apologised to anyone "who experienced harm in the past" and urged victims to contact police.

Ten people from the Jesus Fellowship Church - later known as the Jesus Army - have been convicted for various sex offences.

After his death in 2009, the church handed allegations of sexual offences against Stanton and others to Northamptonshire Police.

The BBC can now reveal that 43 people who were active in the church have been linked to reports of historic sexual and physical abuse.

It is understood further claims have come to light such as rapes, bullying, brainwashing, forced labour, financial bondage and "barbaric beatings" of young boys by groups of men.

Now on the brink of closure, the Jesus Army is understood to have accrued assets worth £50m. But it leaves a harrowing legacy - and an unsettled future for Philippa and its many other victims.

I remember they used to have branded ski jacket type coats in lurid colours, only the bloke ones had camouflage patterns on the sleeve because fighting is for men or something. Used to prey on drunks and homeless because that was a soft target.

My smartarse pagan mate used to engage and tie them in knots about various contradictions in the bible, which was sometimes a good spectator sport on the way back from the club. Get some low grade Herbert doubting their faith and then watch as more senior reinforcements would come marching over from their bus to prop them up.

sounds exactly like the SWP and someone challenging their ideology

I remember them well from being a student at Leicester poly. They owned a health food store chain - Goodness Foods - there was one of the stores in the centre of Leicester and the staff in there were Jesus army recruits, all working voluntarily. They must've been coining it in. Jesus Army Watch: The Business Empire

Read somewhere that much of the produce was just bought from local markets, and it was ok to lie 'as they(customers) were outsiders'.

Read somewhere that much of the produce was just bought from local markets, and it was ok to lie 'as they(customers) were outsiders'.
they deffo did have farm-communes though, so I'm not sure on that one. Thats more of the land I was wondering about (who ends up with all the stuff)

opium should be the opium of the people

And it was, for thousands of years, before the Chinese got all moralistic, against the peasants, at the end of the 18th century and banned it.

Earliest discovered use of opium was in...Raunds, Northamptonshire. Surprised me. Sorry, I'm reading this atm.

original_400_600.jpg

R4 did a prog on that book with Inglis last summer. Haven’t got round to getting a copy yet, but on my list.

Its really good though maybe a bit misleading with the title because its about a lot more than opium. Some pretty heavy duty history of civilisations, trade wars, medicine etc. I'm only 120 pages in but the opium bit is almost secondary atm. But yeah, worth reading if into your history and/or opium facts.

They used to do a free burger thing with a bbq near Sheffield uni on a Friday night. SpackleFrog might remember it. They had a flag that looked very similar to the rainbow flag and I used to enjoy pretending I thought it was a gay pride stall.

Always got a burger though cos, well, free food :cool:

Yeah creepy as fuck really. "Hi do you want a free burger?" I think they even did a veggie one for me. Wasn't very nice.

Always ate it though cos well, free food :cool:

No surprises here, the usual story I'm afraid:

In the summary of her 800-page final report, independent investigator Vicki Lawson-Brown said all five leaders "must take responsibility for their inaction".

She said women were historically regarded as subservient to men and treated as "domestic servants", which placed them and children at higher risk of abuse.

There was a culture of "blaming victims" and "reinstating disgraced leaders", her review found.

Describing one "significant case", she said all of the men, by their failure to act, protected a convicted paedophile who had been allowed to continue in his role as an elder by Mr Stanton.

The Church of England should have a Trades description act in its name allowing them to prevent people from using such terms as "Jesus Army" etc if it appears to be a cult of loonies.

Back
Top Bottom