Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Japanese Anime Studio Arson Fire -- 33 Dead

Yuwipi Woman

Whack-A-Mole Queen
Kyoto Animation fire: Arson attack at Japan anime studio kills 33

001262ea-500.jpg

At least 33 people are dead and dozens injured after a man set fire to an animation studio in the Japanese city of Kyoto, officials say.

Police said the 41-year-old suspect broke into the Kyoto Animation studio on Thursday morning and sprayed petrol before igniting it.

The suspect has been detained and was taken to hospital with injuries.

Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said the incident was "too appalling for words" and offered condolences.

Kyoto Animation, known as KyoAni, produces films and graphic novels and is well regarded by fans for the quality of its productions.

The fire broke out at the three-storey building at around 10:30 local time (01:35 GMT) on Thursday. Rescue operations are still ongoing.

Arson attack at Japan anime studio kills 33

Thirty-three murdered and 35 injured and the rescue crews haven't gotten to the top floor yet. This would be a shocking event anywhere. This is unheard of in Japan.

Last edited:
Damn. One of my favourite studios too. KyoAni got big from doing excellent anime adaptations of games and ventured into doing pleasent slice of life stuff.

I know it pales in comparison to the loss of life, but I wonder how much of their back catalog and original art just burned.

It sounds like they found 10 in a stairwell. There must have been some sort of obstacle at that point. I wonder if the arsonist blocked the exits.

He blocked both main exits and was going around throwing petrol around from what I hear.

It's very unpleasant stuff.

I really liked the Violet Evergarden series that thay made.

What a horrific event this is, hard to even comprehend that someone would do such a thing. :(

Still trying to process this. Violent attacks are still relatively rare in Japan so it's a trauma when something unspeakable like this occurs. The school stabbings back in May was another shock to the system.

1 year anniversary yesterday. 34 people dead and the culprit spent almost a year in hospital getting his burns treated, finally getting transfered to prison a few weeks ago.

Some fool is in jail for sending death threats to a studiohttps://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2019/08/11/square-enix-threat-japan/

Will be in jail for a long time.
Japan you either confess out of shame or they "make" you confess

Back
Top Bottom