Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Japan v Spain

We had exactly this problem in cricket for a while with catches declared to have hit the ground because that's what it looked like from a camera at the wrong angle. Zooming in often doesn't help. When you zoom in it has a foreshortening effect. We saw that during Covid with zoomed images of 'crowded' parks and beaches causing outrage.
I'm still outraged.

I usually stop debating with people when they put words down I've never said. I guess 'vibes' would make me look ridiculous and this is your intention. Surprised you didn't go with 'feels'.

But there are questions, obviously. Over the decision, over how the sport is played, over consistency, over lots of things.

But Germany, yes. It's definitely good to rejoice in the defeat of one of the only teams to have the balls (see what I did there?) to make a protest against this shit-fest. The Qataris are delighted too.
If you want consistency, go protest over the throw ins that are incorrectly given before the ball's out of play rather than a legitimate goal given to an underdog against one of the big guns, nobhead.

I last beat my wife in...

So you're really unhappy with literally millions of wrong decisions being made in the past? You think England's World Cup in 1966 should be handed back?

Yes I am totally against VAR and have been from the start. Football is a game, like all games, of human skill and human error. I really don't know how we made it to the 21st century.
That's fine to be totally against VAR as long as it's clear that this is your position. I'm not. I think it's untenable in the end to have instant replays available to TV that can show the decision is wrong.

Re 1966, the tech wasn't there then. The decision was given. It was wrong - ball wasn't in - but at that point in history, that was the system. We're now in a different place. To be able to see that Lampard had scored instantly and still have the goal disallowed was absurd.

If you want consistency, go protest over the throw ins that are incorrectly given before the ball's out of play rather than a legitimate goal given to an underdog against one of the big guns, nobhead.

Nobhead? You really can't handle someone with a different opinion to you?

Fuck off then.

We need to remember the bigger picture:

Attachments

• IMG-20221202-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20221202-WA0002.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 4
I usually stop debating with people when they put words down I've never said. I guess 'vibes' would make me look ridiculous and this is your intention. Surprised you didn't go with 'feels'.

But there are questions, obviously. Over the decision, over how the sport is played, over consistency, over lots of things.

But Germany, yes. It's definitely good to rejoice in the defeat of one of the only teams to have the balls (see what I did there?) to make a protest against this shit-fest. The Qataris are delighted too.
You have a good point about the protest. It is a massive shame that England and Wales bottled it. Special mention to Iran as well. That was a genuinely brave stand.

As for corruption, far harder to bribe the officials now there is VAR, I would suggest. They'd have to doctor the images, which would require the collusion of a whole bunch of tech people. Not really feasible.

White painted lines on sports pitches. Standardisation of team sizes. Regulation ball/bat/goal/field sizes. Professional, paid sports people and paying crowds. Television. Replays. Governing bodies.

These are all changing technologies and culture with regards to sport. Each change, like all change, makes things 10% worse somehow. The controversies remain, but the goalposts move a little each time.

Jumpers for goalposts, etc...

Some class arguments here. Keep it up, team.

Can the ball in or ball out processes be automated with some fancy-tech-fine-mesh built into the football's skin and some laser or other type of stuff that can detect a ball completely leave the field of play? If Tesco can catch my nan lifting a packet of pasta with its security beepy machine, I'm sure it could be applied in the realms of footie and rugby, etc.

(Disclaimer - my nan never robbed Tesco)

Wasn't the goal initially 'given' on sight by the linesman before it went to VAR to be checked? Would that not mean that either way it would have been a goal?
Also that shot from above and in parallel with the line (which I have not seen since) made it look quite clearly in, more so than the diagram on this thread.
Not sure what the problem is.

Did Jesus really exist? Did dinosaurs have feathers?

Back
Top Bottom