Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Japan v Spain

Why would "they" want Japan in over Germany?

Because 'they' were paid more to do so? The two officials (refs, the good old days) who got South Korea to the semis in their WC never refereed another game. Let's not pretend corruption doesn't happen. We're playing in Qatar ffs. How did we get here?
The money people want the big teams in. If anything they'd be conspiring the other way.

There's no conspiracy with VAR. Thing is, they have the tech to measure to within millimetres for this or offside, so they can give decisions by millimetres.

They can more easily give any decision they like. If that ball was on the sideline, it's a throw-in 100 times out of 100 and nobody argues. But it now gives scope, with this 'highly accurate' measurement we all trust, for VAR to give decisions by mm when it may be 'necessary'. Yesterday there were offsides given on a random measurement of the arm. And nobody will convince me the first decision of this WC - giving Qatar a second chance by disallowing the Ecuador goal - wasn't fixed.

Because 'they' were paid more to do so? The two officials (refs, the good old days) who got South Korea to the semis in their WC never refereed another game. Let's not pretend corruption doesn't happen. We're playing in Qatar ffs. How did we get here?
Sure, of course it's all corrupt. But S Korea got those decisions in South Korea, when they were hosts. I can see the advantage of them progressing but what are we saying? Japan have paid off the VAR team? Seriously?

Sure, of course it's all corrupt. But S Korea got those decisions in South Korea, when they were hosts. I can see the advantage of them progressing but what are we saying? Japan have paid off the VAR team? Seriously?
Noooooooo we're saying the Germans didn't pay off the VAR team enough

How many officials in FIFA were paid off to win the WC for Qatar? Seriously.

Less than a VAR team?

They tidy the stadiums up afterwards.

Worth an extra goal head start in my book, so I'm happy with an iffy VAR call.
Ha, that was like the first gig I played in Japan. Everyone left fags, bottles and all sorts of shit all over the place. Then at closing, the whole audience all got together and helped tidy the whole venue up. Punk rock!!

Goals should be allowed unless there's conclusive proof it shouldn't be. The TV images showed were so, so close that it's next to impossible to determine whether the whole ball went over the whole line, so it's right that the goal is given.
Yes indeed, this ^^

and it did mean that germany went out :)

I thought it was out at the time, but I've changed my mind. By the best camera frame it is just in, by millimetres. There could be a moment between frames when it was out, but we can't know that, so VAR has to go by its best evidence and its best evidence is that it didn't go out.

Yep, the ball was clearly in. Clearly in the sense of definitely, if not by a large amount. I'm not sure whether this was ultimately a VAR or goal line technology thing, or whether the tech is usually used to check whether the ball was in prior to a goal. But ultimately this was an example of the technology working perfectly - getting the right result when the naked eye would have almost always gone with 'out'.

Yep, the ball was clearly in. Clearly in the sense of definitely, if not by a large amount. I'm not sure whether this was ultimately a VAR or goal line technology thing, or whether the tech is usually used to check whether the ball was in prior to a goal. But ultimately this was an example of the technology working perfectly - getting the right result when the naked eye would have almost always gone with 'out'.
Yep. A linesperson is inevitably going to be placed at some point along the touchline behind the ball, and will then see the ball as out before it is actually out. I have mixed feelings about VAR, but this is an instance of it working. And I agree with the comment above that a goal should stand unless there is clear evidence that it shouldn't. We want goals, after all.

Even that angle suggests it's in to me. Probably something about the difficulties of mapping 3d objects onto 2d backgrounds or summat.
We had exactly this problem in cricket for a while with catches declared to have hit the ground because that's what it looked like from a camera at the wrong angle. Zooming in often doesn't help. When you zoom in it has a foreshortening effect. We saw that during Covid with zoomed images of 'crowded' parks and beaches causing outrage.

It's almost like you haven't ready any of the posts that show the ball was in play.

Here's a good explainer:

Yeah. "About" 5mm. Totally accurate.

Like The39thStep said, I don't want football to be an exact science - or even an attempt at an exact science. If that's what this even is. That ball, on the sideline as I said earlier, is a throw-in 100 times out of 100. Nobody would even question such a decision. So where's the consistency?

Like The39thStep said, I don't want football to be an exact science - or even an attempt at an exact science. If that's what this even is. That ball, on the sideline as I said earlier, is a throw-in 100 times out of 100. Nobody would even question such a decision. So where's the consistency?
So you think the wrong decision should have been made instead?

They're checking stuff specifically when goals are scored. Either they check or they don't. If they do, then they have to give the decision they think is the correct one, which in this case is that the ball was still in.

It's ok to be totally against VAR, if that's your stand. But if you're not totally against VAR, then this was the correct decision and the correct decision process, imo.

So you think the wrong decision should have been made instead?

I last beat my wife in...

So you're really unhappy with literally millions of wrong decisions being made in the past? You think England's World Cup in 1966 should be handed back?

Yes I am totally against VAR and have been from the start. Football is a game, like all games, of human skill and human error. I really don't know how we made it to the 21st century.

So you want it disallowed based on vibes then? It feels like it's out of play, so therefore disallow it, even though the rules say it's in play.

I hate VAR with a passion, but this was a goal, no question, and the fact it favoured an unfancied team, while knocking out the Germans makes it all the more fun.

So you want it disallowed based on vibes then? It feels like it's out of play, so therefore disallow it, even though the rules say it's in play.

I usually stop debating with people when they put words down I've never said. I guess 'vibes' would make me look ridiculous and this is your intention. Surprised you didn't go with 'feels'.

I hate VAR with a passion, but this was a goal, no question,

But there are questions, obviously. Over the decision, over how the sport is played, over consistency, over lots of things.

But Germany, yes. It's definitely good to rejoice in the defeat of one of the only teams to have the balls (see what I did there?) to make a protest against this shit-fest. The Qataris are delighted too.

Back
Top Bottom