Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Japan! Tokyo!

Anyone been in the summer? I've only been spring or autumn. I expect to get rather sweaty.
Yes. It's the absolute worst.
Ever since my daughter has been school age we have been going in the summer holidays. I hate it hate it hate it. The heat hits you in the face like a brick when you leave the safety of the air conditioning.
I prefer going for a shorter period in the winter (Christmas and new year) when it is freezing cold.

Anyone been in the summer? I've only been spring or autumn. I expect to get rather sweaty.

It's going to hit 30 where we are, day after tomorrow. That's a bit above the average this time of year, but that's the limit for us. July and August are usually intolerable, so if you here, make sure you wear light clothing, carry water, and slap on the sun protection if you are fair skinned. Or don a hat or carry a parasol.

On the plus side, most establishments, public transport and hotels will have air-conditioning, which helps ease the discomfort.

June is rainy season, so not as bad. Some days can still see the hot and humid.

Kurosawa's Stray Dog was filmed during the summer and the humidity looks atrocious. I've read that it wasn't part of the script exactly, it really was that bad.

Last edited:
I had the same when I was in korea. I had to get up at 5am to get any kind of outside activity. By 7am it was too hot and I had had enough. In korea they didn't even have the air con in most places. I spent most of the time in my hotel room drinking. Such a waste.

I have been out running in crazy heat in tokyo even though I was advised against it. Within 5km I was so sweaty it looked like someone had chucked a bucket of water over me. No joke. Locals were pointing and saying stuff like "Yuck that's disgusting" or "He's going to die".
The one merciful thing is that unlike the UK the sun goes down around 6pm in the summer.

I had the same when I was in korea. I had to get up at 5am to get any kind of outside activity. By 7am it was too hot and I had had enough. In korea they didn't even have the air con in most places. I spent most of the time in my hotel room drinking. Such a waste.

I have been out running in crazy heat in tokyo even though I was advised against it. Within 5km I was so sweaty it looked like someone had chucked a bucket of water over me. No joke. Locals were pointing and saying stuff like "Yuck that's disgusting" or "He's going to die".
The one merciful thing is that unlike the UK the sun goes down around 6pm in the summer.

Similar experience running in the Korean summer: a couple of the kids I taught were out with their families and spotted me. "Teacher! Teacher! Teacher is purple!"

God I love pocari sweat, it’s to expensive here and nothing else is similar to it really
I only tried it once about 20 years ago, but I remember it being utterly vile.

What I DO love though is Soyjoy. The greatest pep you up snack bar ever. If I am starving on a station platform, just one soyjoy will sort me out. I ran 30km across tokyo on new years day with nothing more than a soyjoy and a couple of gels.
There is nothing quite the same in this country.

Kyushu in a little over a month, really looking forward to seeing the mountains and bamboo and hot springs
This place (although obviously controversial) is worth a visit. And the samurai neighborhood is a bus ride away, iirc

All over the place, Fukuoka, Kumamoto, Kagoshima and Beppu/Yufu. Wife has got us a couple of nights in an observatory on mount Aso

Three weeks so we’ve got a bunch of travelling and some downtime to do whatever
Sounds amazing! I am very jealous.

I have been to a few of those places (except Yufu and Aso) and I absolutely loved it down there.

Looks like some of the historic stuff in Kumamoto is back after earthquake damage... Former Hosokawa residence is an exceptional samurai mansion. And obviously the castle.

Er... are you there for 'The Great Festival of Fujisaki Hachimangu Shrine'? Aka the one with the horse chasing? That is fucking wild. Some level of animal cruelty. Nevertheless it is worth experiencing if you're there anyway. I don't think it's something that keeps going because of tourist money, if you need some kind of conscience salve. Or just embrace it and follow with a meal of horse sashimi I suppose.

Sakurajima is a little shit. I mean obviously it's a fucking volcano, which is not shit. But it's very 'ship to concrete bit with crap cafe, bus to next concrete bit, continue'. Though there are some nice spots you can go for a walk. There's a little trail that leads out from near the ferry, along a lava beach, that's ok for a stroll. There's a large onsen there too, but I didn't go. Don't really do that sort of thing, anxiety etc.

Kagoshima also black pork shabu shabu.

Sakurajima is somewhat as described, but I would go again definitley! Buy the Ash-cream - a 99 with volcanic ash instead od strawberry sauce, it's good.

I would definitley eat basashi (raw horse) in Kumamoto, it's delicious. Also in Kumamoto there is some kind of mustardy root, I forget what it was. Nice too.

Sakurajima is somewhat as described, but I would go again definitley! Buy the Ash-cream - a 99 with volcanic ash instead od strawberry sauce, it's good.

I would definitley eat basashi (raw horse) in Kumamoto, it's delicious. Also in Kumamoto there is some kind of mustardy root, I forget what it was. Nice too.

Oh, mustard stuffed lotus root; karashi renkon. It's lotus root, you stuff it with a mustard and miso mix (after par-boil iirc) and deep fry it in batter. It's actually viable to make at home, and moderately worth it. Would make an amazing veggie bar snack.

Also, if you end up at Kumamoto castle and fancy some souvenirs, there's the Kumamoto Prefectural Traditional Crafts Center next door... Lot of local craftspeople worth supporting exhibit there, and it has a nice shop with a good variety of work. Probably not the cheapest option, but worth a look.

Looks like some of the historic stuff in Kumamoto is back after earthquake damage... Former Hosokawa residence is an exceptional samurai mansion. And obviously the castle.

Er... are you there for 'The Great Festival of Fujisaki Hachimangu Shrine'? Aka the one with the horse chasing? That is fucking wild. Some level of animal cruelty. Nevertheless it is worth experiencing if you're there anyway. I don't think it's something that keeps going because of tourist money, if you need some kind of conscience salve. Or just embrace it and follow with a meal of horse sashimi I suppose.

Sakurajima is a little shit. I mean obviously it's a fucking volcano, which is not shit. But it's very 'ship to concrete bit with crap cafe, bus to next concrete bit, continue'. Though there are some nice spots you can go for a walk. There's a little trail that leads out from near the ferry, along a lava beach, that's ok for a stroll. There's a large onsen there too, but I didn't go. Don't really do that sort of thing, anxiety etc.

Kagoshima also black pork shabu shabu.

Next time we'll take the bike around Sakurajima island. What we did do (in 39 degree weather naturally) is go off the bus, unlike everyone else, and get to the pottery shops at the base where we met the nicest lady in Japan who sold us lovely pots and fed us free tea and some 2 years pickled radish I still regret not buying.

Overall I'd say Japan is really good at doing this conveyor belt style system where they drag you from A to B and force you through the gift shop afterwards and by the end of the trip it was really getting tiring so yeah go off piste as much as you can.

Little did I know when I posted this thread12 years ago that I would go to Japan many times, and this time I'm on my way to get married! 🥰
Congratulations.
I had a traditional Japanese wedding. Interesting stuff. More than 20 years ago now. Wow, crazy.

is it like i see in Ozu movies?
Not sure about that but our one was at a Shinto shrine and we both were dressed by a team which can take 20 minutes for the man and an hour for the woman. The clothes look great but are a bit restrictive in movement - something you noticed when you shuffle to main room for the ceremony. Their were several priests in attendance and you drink some sake and recite your vows.

There's also weddings that take place in modern venues and some of those venues resembles western style churches, but that tends to be popular with younger couples.

Back
Top Bottom