Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Japan! Tokyo!

We’ve booked for September, three weeks in and out via Fukuoka.

Prices for flights have gone right up in last 8 years as have flight times due to Ukraine. We’re paying over a grand now when it was more like 700-800
What price do people generally pay for UK - Japan flights?

Aye. I've been for as little as £300 in the past but these days £700 or £800 is a pretty good deal. The holiday period is bad though. I went at christmas and it was just below £1000 on a very comfortable direct flight (that was upgraded). Now that the gates are open to foreigners the prices have shot up. I was hoping to go with my family this summer, but the flights are about £1500 so probably too much for all three of us.

Last edited:
You can squeeze 700-800 at the moment but you'll be looking at at a 20+ hour flight. I think the worst I've seen was 33 hours, which y'know might have been cool to do for a quick sleep and shower in Seoul.

If we can get out of the country to Ireland, could cost us an extra 3 to 5 hundred quid. Depends on time of year, as well, Flight time increased by a couple of hours, 'cos it goes via Alaska/Greenland area. Amazing views were of some compensation.

What price do people generally pay for UK - Japan flights?
About £800 is cheapest which will probs be with Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong to Tokyo - I did that my first time and it was ok. To fly direct you're looking at just over £1000 minimum with BA or JAL.

I'm going at the end of the month and my wife was attempting to buy train tickets. "The website is... closed overnight??!?"

I'm happy to see some things don't change, like things that don't need to close, closing.

We're going with JAL - we tried Asiana around New Year and found the website an absolute horror and it refused payment. Air France was pretty good and I snarfed my weight in sandwiches on the trip, Air China was a nightmare

We're going with JAL - we tried Asiana around New Year and found the website an absolute horror and it refused payment. Air France was pretty good and I snarfed my weight in sandwiches on the trip, Air China was a nightmare
I think my only problem with JAL is that they sometimes do a joint deal with BA and you end up on a BA flight.
Might have just been when things were messed up though.
They were doing some gourmet food stuff on the last flight I was on. . . it was incredibly delicious and quite inspiring. I also got bumped to premium economy and it was incredibly roomy and very comfortable. The biggest quibble I had was that I only noticed that the headphones they gave me were noise cancelling (you had to press a button on the side) roughly one hour before we landed. . . . I was absolutely gutted.

They seem to have a lot of food choice, I’ve gone for vegetarian Hindu because I’m weird :D

But yeah there’s usually a split with BA, for some reason most flights seemed to hit Paris then go to Japan and BA was the usual first step

Found Air France to be an unpleasant experience, Tbh.

Its British airports I find the worst, they just feel so claustrophobic and tunnelled in that I get overwhelmed and any respite areas are paid only - even a window seat. Some of the duty free tunnels are just horrific

CDG was ok, like any airport though it’s not exactly brimming with choice or cheap food.

Its British airports I find the worst, they just feel so claustrophobic and tunnelled in that I get overwhelmed and any respite areas are paid only - even a window seat. Some of the duty free tunnels are just horrific

CDG was ok, like any airport though it’s not exactly brimming with choice or cheap food.
I have filmed at Heathrow and Gatwick a few times.
Heathrow is really fun in that there are loads of hidden direct routes through the airport for staff to go. Doors coming out of what at first glance seem to just be another part of the wall. I was amazed at how fast you could actually get around when you were not being herded like sheep.

Hope it all went well!
It was great! We almost didn't get to go as we flew via CDG and it was the day Parisens were tearing the place apart, but (probably due to other flight cancellations and others having to cancel plans) we were moved onto another flight and got to go.

Tokyo was extremely busy. People are mostly wearing masks (we did indoors, but didn't outdoors) but tourism is definitely back for sure. I feel like it's way easier for tourists these days with more English signs and translation apps and Google Maps. 20 years ago the way to get around Tokyo was to be obviously foreign and look puzzled at a map, someone with a smattering of English would soon stop help you out and tell you exactly where to go.

Here's a thing: when I was on JET I managed to get my pasty skin sunburned, and a pharmacist sold me this amazing spray that I couldn't find this time. It was like a lotion and when you sprayed it on your skin it sizzled like putting water on a hot pan, and cooled down your skin instantly. Maybe it's been banned (like the pork sashimi I had the last time).

It was great! We almost didn't get to go as we flew via CDG and it was the day Parisens were tearing the place apart, but (probably due to other flight cancellations and others having to cancel plans) we were moved onto another flight and got to go.

Tokyo was extremely busy. People are mostly wearing masks (we did indoors, but didn't outdoors) but tourism is definitely back for sure. I feel like it's way easier for tourists these days with more English signs and translation apps and Google Maps. 20 years ago the way to get around Tokyo was to be obviously foreign and look puzzled at a map, someone with a smattering of English would soon stop help you out and tell you exactly where to go.

Here's a thing: when I was on JET I managed to get my pasty skin sunburned, and a pharmacist sold me this amazing spray that I couldn't find this time. It was like a lotion and when you sprayed it on your skin it sizzled like putting water on a hot pan, and cooled down your skin instantly. Maybe it's been banned (like the pork sashimi I had the last time).
Not heard of that particular spray, tend to wear hats or hide away when the sun is at its fiercest!

Tokyo is slowly getting it's tourist mojo back, although its sad to see all the businesses that didn't survive.

Maybe it's like those hip bathmats that were everywhere in Japan a few years ago that turned out to be made of asbestos.

Back
Top Bottom