Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jack Charlton dead at 85

As a player he lived in his brothers shadow at times. Bobby was breaking records Jackie was breaking legs. Both brothers backed the NUM in the 70s and 80s strikes. He applied for the England job but didnt get an interview, Clough did but Greenwood got the job, the feeling was both Charlton and Clough were too outspoken too anti establishment . In my view it was the remarkable stint as Ireland's manager that really cemented his standing .Remarkable as that although his achievement with Ireland was good it was the bond that he built with the country and supporters that was exceptional.I hated Leeds but grew to love Jack Charlton.

As a player he lived in his brothers shadow at times. Bobby was breaking records Jackie was breaking legs. Both brothers backed the NUM in the 70s and 80s strikes. He applied for the England job but didnt get an interview, Clough did but Greenwood got the job, the feeling was both Charlton and Clough were too outspoken too anti establishment . In my view it was the remarkable stint as Ireland's manager that really cemented his standing .Remarkable as that although his achievement with Ireland was good it was the bond that he built with the country and supporters that was exceptional.I hated Leeds but grew to love Jack Charlton.

Spot on.

sad news, but he had a good run. Loved his fishing- i think he got gazza into fishing IIRC, as well as giving him the chance at NUFC. Was related to the famous fiighting milburns of the same northumberland manor & never lost his ashington pitmans brogue.a tough old bastard to play against. He knew how the mining communities felt and never lost touch with his background. RIP Jack.

“Fishing licences have come a long way from the days when I paid a shilling to dangle a line in the murky depths of the Grand Union Canal at Alperton, north London. That was a lot of money then, but we bought a group ticket so it only worked out at about a penny each. One of us paid for the ticket when the bailiff came along while the others hid in the hedge behind the canal. If he returned, those without tickets jumped on their bikes and pedalled off, returning when he had disappeared.

This mobile approach had the advantage of supplying extremely cheap fishing, but it severely affected your concentration. The bailiff, wise to the ways of 11-year-old boys, would sneakily creep through the hedge himself and pounce, rather than doing the decent thing and approaching along the long, straight bank. No wonder I'm so neurotic now.”

RIP Jack

Back
Top Bottom