Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

J30 strike: NUT, PCS, UCU, ATL call for a general strike on June 30th

right click -> save as
they all worked for me doing that, but none of them worked as previews in firefox..

I was on the point of fuckin' them off when workfare reared it's ugly head, plus the lack of solidarity with other striking unions - but then i've members to represent. Kenny sure is trying to score some brownie points with this one though.

If you are dismissed for taking part in "protected industrial action", the dismissal would be unfair. This is one of the reasons why unions are desperately trying to make sure that the ballot and process follows the law.

There is useful information on the legal aspects here - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/TradeUnions/Industrialaction/DG_179248 - which is a site kept up to date by the Government, in fact...

A legal anomaly which I don't see on that site at a glance, although it may be there somewhere, is that employers can dismiss members of another trade union who refuse to cross picket lines of another union, but those who are not a member of any trade union are protected as if they were members of the striking union. (Sorry if that doesn't make sense - it's difficult to explain, and I am a bit tired!)

Sorry I am a bit confused, are Unison involved in this too?

If Unison and the NUT go out then our school will be fucked :D

Sorry I am a bit confused, are Unison involved in this too?

If Unison and the NUT go out then our school will be fucked :D

Unison are NOT part of this dispute, although some individual branches are taking industrial action on the same day, albeit over a different industrial dispute.

If you are dismissed for taking part in "protected industrial action", the dismissal would be unfair. This is one of the reasons why unions are desperately trying to make sure that the ballot and process follows the law.

There is useful information on the legal aspects here - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/TradeUnions/Industrialaction/DG_179248 - which is a site kept up to date by the Government, in fact...

A legal anomaly which I don't see on that site at a glance, although it may be there somewhere, is that employers can dismiss members of another trade union who refuse to cross picket lines of another union, but those who are not a member of any trade union are protected as if they were members of the striking union. (Sorry if that doesn't make sense - it's difficult to explain, and I am a bit tired!)

It does make sense and what an utter shitter.
I had no idea :(

Could you leave your union yes before a strike cos it was not involved, refuse to cross the picket line and then re-join, or maybe the one that was involved?

It does make sense and what an utter shitter.
I had no idea :(

Could you leave your union yes before a strike cos it was not involved, refuse to cross the picket line and then re-join, or maybe the one that was involved?

I asked that question before, but it would, presumably, only work if your resignation had been accepted by the union before the industrial action takes place. We usually just encourage people not to take on the work of the people who are on strike, or to work from home or take annual leave.

I'm a bit worried about the 30th to be honest. Is it affecting all transport unions? I really don't want to cross any picket line or anything and cetainly not one that was in my workplace. I guess I'll have to take the day off or something, but do you think, as a temping agency, they might "guess" that that was the reason for it rather than me being ill or some shit like that ?

I guess I'll just have to phone in on the day and say Im ill, is that the best option?

If you phone in sick without having given any clues etc before hand as to why you're doing it, they couldn't possibly do anything

I'm self-employed. Any client that sacks me is just revealing themselves as not worth working for. They have been told not to try and book me for 30th. They all approve. :cool:

I'm a bit worried about the 30th to be honest. Is it affecting all transport unions? I really don't want to cross any picket line or anything and cetainly not one that was in my workplace. I guess I'll have to take the day off or something, but do you think, as a temping agency, they might "guess" that that was the reason for it rather than me being ill or some shit like that ?

I guess I'll just have to phone in on the day and say Im ill, is that the best option?

You have to give advance notice for being sick to get paid, yeah? :rolleyes:

Might as well make the thieving cunts pay for you to strike, eh?

Have a wisdom tooth start erupting at work on 29th. It's like all the painful bits of 'flu without the snuffles. The good bacteria sense dead flesh and panic, multiplying like mad to get the fuck out before their host is no more. Tooth pain in one or more wisdom teeth, achey skin, sore throat and mega-ear-ache all along the eustachian tube on the same side as the problem tooth(s).

Piece of piss to fake. Common in the 2 weeks before and after actual tooth pain is present, as well as during. Broad spectrum anti-biotics to treat.

You might be forced to take the Friday off too. :(

Phone in sick in the morning - and if you must go to a picket line anywhere (to sell papers or whatever :p ) make sure it's far enough away you can't be accidentally seen by anyone from work.

Can't promise the agency aren't going to be bastards about you being off sick, but if you've not been off sick much before it shouldn't be a problem.

No I've only had two days off sick the entire time I've been there. This probably won't be a big deal at all but I'm getting really worried about it. Especially because diferent people will have different advice. I spose the advantage of having a long commute is the fact that I can work out if I'm going to be "ill" or not and phone them at the start of my journey well before I actually get there ...

Yeah they have this rule that you should phone the night before and no less than an hour and a half before the shift starts.

You have to give advance notice for being sick to get paid, yeah? :rolleyes:

Might as well make the thieving cunts pay for you to strike, eh?

Have a wisdom tooth start erupting at work on 29th. It's like all the painful bits of 'flu without the snuffles. The good bacteria sense dead flesh and panic, multiplying like mad to get the fuck out before their host is no more. Tooth pain in one or more wisdom teeth, achey skin, sore throat and mega-ear-ache all along the eustachian tube on the same side as the problem tooth(s).

Piece of piss to fake. Common in the 2 weeks before and after actual tooth pain is present, as well as during. Broad spectrum anti-biotics to treat.

You might be forced to take the Friday off too. :(

that's horrible , I have wisdom teeth and i've had that shit before, something i want to be careful what i wish for you get me?

I'd be surprised if agency staff got sick pay.

I believe they do. It's part of the justiication for the outrageousl 80% overhead they charge. They are the employer, not the client. It may vary by industry. Streathamite would know.

that's horrible , I have wisdom teeth and i've had that shit before, something i want to be careful what i wish for you get me?

Cool! Well, not cool at all. You'll be able to fake it convincingly, should you wish to.

Does your GP prescribe antibiotics for it? They used to hand them out like sweeties but since they were told how stupid this is, some of them treat you like you've asked for heroin on prescription. If they ever refuse you, get me on the phone. ;)

Agency staff don't usually get sick pay, apart from SSP.

Which is sick pay …

I'll hold my hands up to being only vaguely aware of the very cunty difference though, as I've only ever had time off sick when in a cushy public sector number. They've only ever managed to tip me into half pay by dint of signing me off sick wthout my knowledge whilst I was working at home.

Any pay is worth summat real on what these cunts pay and frogster's travel costs.

It's sick pay paid by the state, you don't get it for 3 days and its only about £60/week.

Fucking hell. That is massively worse than I thought. Can we track changes easily on this? I don't believe it was that bad when I was a kid.

Fuck,

Back
Top Bottom