Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I've just asked for a 'Super Porkie Single Supper'

Is "squeeze me sauce" really a thing people say where you are, or is this one chippy just weird?

I reckon many of the best chippies are those Chinese places that do salt'n'vinegar chips, dunno if JimW's local place does that?
It’s those pouches of sauce? What does yours do if you want ketchup to take away?

It’s those pouches of sauce? What does yours do if you want ketchup to take away?
Well, obviously getting ketchup from the bottle is best, but if I'm somewhere where they insist on charging for those little sachets they'd probably say something like "ketchup 20p" or maybe "satchet of ketchup 20p", they wouldn't call it "squeeze me sauce"?

isn't the time of day that 'supper' is one of those things that varies (or used to vary) according to region and / or class? like whether dinner is at lunch time or tea time, and so on?

No, any chipper product with chips is universally called a supper IME.

However, if it is a chipper with a cafe/seating area attached, it can be called a "tea" - although that iteration is usually served with tea/coffee and bread and butter.

That's a haggis pudding, not the real thing and yes, with a few notable exceptions they can be somewhat lacking.

The "spicy" haggis Gem mentions is more like half a real haggis, skinned, battered and deep fried - although as haggis in any form is a fundamentally spiced product, I do rail at the name!

Haggis is considered spiced? :hmm:

I'd consider it seasoned. I guess it's a very relative thing. :D

I remember being sent to the chippy by my English Nan aged about nine and asking for two fish and chips (because that's what she had said to me to get) and being derided by the middle aged guy who had already been served. 'How many chips ye wanting? Just two is it?'. Prick :D:mad:

I don’t want to come across as a Xenophobe, but cigarettes in chippies sounds proper Scottish. :D

Used to be common for chippers to sell fags - after pubs, they were often the only places that sold them out of hours, although at prices that suggested you would need to be in utterly gasping to want to buy them there!

I remember being sent to the chippy by my English Nan aged about nine and asking for two fish and chips (because that's what she had said to me to get) and being derided by the middle aged guy who had already been served. 'How many chips ye wanting? Just two is it?'. Prick :D:mad:
Where I grew up, it was normal to ask for 'a chip' rather than a bag of chips. My parents (who were from Edinburgh) found it completely weird and used to do the 'just one?' thing.

Is "squeeze me sauce" really a thing people say where you are, or is this one chippy just weird?

I reckon many of the best chippies are those Chinese places that do salt'n'vinegar chips, dunno if JimW's local place does that?

Squeezeme is the brand name of the packaging that Heinz and possibly other firms now use for their saucees/mayo etc. As opposed to sachet and those little plastic pots with the foil tops.

This is still a make or break thing in chippers here. People will still flock to chippers that let you squeeze your own sauces from a big bottle or pump at the counter rather than pay the premium for a usually inadequate Squeezeme.

Most Chinese takeaways here do "Salt and Pepper" products - usually chips and chicken strips but one place does a "mixed", which is basically everything fried in Salt and Pepper seasoning, although one place does it as "Chiu Yam" (sp?) which seems to have chopped chillis as well.

Haggis is considered spiced? :hmm:

I'd consider it seasoned. I guess it's a very relative thing. :D

Maybe depends on the haggis maker? Some use herbs, salt and pepper, which I'd agree are seasoned but many use Cayenne Pepper as well, which is more properly spiced. Other more modern haggis variants use Garam Masala and other more exotic spices.

i take it 'chipper' (rather than 'chippy') is another bit of scottish english?

(not criticising, just curious about how much the residents of the UK are divided by a common language...)

Seems to be a Doric speaking/north east Scotland thing but yes, it is completely interchangeable with chippy.

Well, obviously getting ketchup from the bottle is best, but if I'm somewhere where they insist on charging for those little sachets they'd probably say something like "ketchup 20p" or maybe "satchet of ketchup 20p", they wouldn't call it "squeeze me sauce"?

I once got an undercooked (raw in the middle) piece of fish from a chippy in Manchester. I took it back and told the woman that it wasn't cooked. She cut it in half lengthwise, said "it's not too bad love", chucked me a sachet of tomato ketchup "that'll make up for it" and gave me the raw fish back :hmm: :D

I once got an undercooked (raw in the middle) piece of fish from a chippy in Manchester. I took it back and told the woman that it wasn't cooked. She cut it in half lengthwise, said "it's not too bad love", chucked me a sachet of tomato ketchup "that'll make up for it" and gave me the raw fish back :hmm: :D
I hope you thanked her properly!

Back
Top Bottom