Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is photorealistic art really "art"?

Is photorealistic art really artistic?

• Yes

• No

• It can be.

Results are only viewable after voting.
My opinion is that you are being obtuse. Therefore it is a fact that you are obtuse. 😁
I’m not though. I’m just dogmatic. Perhaps it’s an ND thing. But my opinion is correct and is therefore a fact. I’m not saying it’s an objective fact. But it’s my truth and how I see the world.

I’m not though. I’m just dogmatic. Perhaps it’s an ND thing. But my opinion is correct and is therefore a fact. I’m not saying it’s an objective fact. But it’s my truth and how I see the world.
Ok..

(Note to self...do not ever buy OU any colourful socks resembling fried eggs and bacon...)

Opinions are subject to speculation. Facts aren't.
I don’t dispute that. But my faith in my opinion is strong enough for me to talk about it as if it’s a fact. I would rather hear someone state an opinion confidently than ‘this is just my opinion, but…’. It’s a waste of time prefacing an opinion with a statement that something is ‘just’ an opinion.

Your own opinion is unassailable by you (if your mind is closed to.other opinions) but that's what I meant about my own art. As long as I'm the only person that sees it, it's art or not.
You can still be open to other opinions and believe your own is correct. I’ve often changed my mind about stuff. There are plenty of things I didn’t like 5 years ago that I like now.

You can still be open to other opinions and believe your own is correct. I’ve often changed my mind about stuff. There are plenty of things I didn’t like 5 years ago that I like now.
I'm fine with opinions changing over time of course, but I've a problem with opinions =facts. There are changes to facts over time related to scientific discoveries. Those are fine by me. But I'm never going to be at the front of a queue hailing an opinion as a "fact'. That way mad shit lies eg fotl.

I'm fine with opinions changing over time of course, but I've a problem with opinions =facts. There are changes to facts over time related to scientific discoveries. Those are fine by me. But I'm never going to be at the front of a queue hailing an opinion as a "fact'. That way mad shit lies eg fotl
My comments were only relating to how we talk about the arts though. Maybe I’m just used to talking about these things in the pub with mates or on music message boards.

Your sock...in the drawer.
Looks a lot like Tony the Tiger (Frosties)

Or it could be Taz..
I have no idea what that is, so how can you?
I certainly have no wacky themed socks.
The most ‘themed’ socks I have are of the pattern from the carpet in the hotel in The Shining but there’s nowt wacky about them cos it’s a legitimately cool pattern

It's the only definition that holds water. I did a course at University about theories of aesthetics, and some of them were hillarious. Hume's theory of aesthetics is basically a whole book explaining why his opinions on art mattered more than other peoples. Or Clive Bell's assertion that the definining characteristic of art is that it gives you an 'aesthetic emotion', and then later on defines an 'aesthetic emotion' as something generated by art.

Yep. And also that the idea art must be good. If I don’t like it it’s not. Doesn’t matter. There’s loads of shit art.

No it just means you've cooked yourself a meal, nothing more. Just like kicking a ball about doesn't make you a footballer. And doing a drawing doesn't make you an artist.
Wasn't it Picasso who said "it took me four years to paint like Raphael but it took me a lifetime to paint like a child"

Back
Top Bottom