Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is photorealistic art really "art"?

Is photorealistic art really artistic?

• Yes

• No

• It can be.

Results are only viewable after voting.
But surely an opinion needs to be well informed?
This is literally what Hume's theory of taste is about. That you needed to be a person away from the 'fires of youth', posessed of at least a certain level of education, etc for your opinions of what is art/good art to matter. Amazingly, and very luckily for him, he fitted every qualification he mentions.

I would have thought you might enjoy her art as it is so colourful and she used complimentary and primary colours in a really energetic way.
Nope. It’s purely commercially decorative, like ‘love, live, eat’ or whatever that shit is painted on some driftwood and hung on the wall of a kitchen in a holiday cottage

Subjective vs objective.
What’s the point of venturing an opinion unless you’re not confident of it being correct?

There are many things that are subject to opinion that you cannot know are correct - in fact are not even definable as correct or incorrect. For example it is my opinion that fine red burgundy is the best wine in the world. How would one even begin to assess whether that is a correct assertion (beyond the tautological "it is correct that that I believe that")?

Interesting...
I think science and art are rather closer to each other than you may have thought.

"To develop a complete mind: Study the science of art; study the art of science. Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else." —Leonardo da Vinci

I remember Athena Poster stores being treated with utter contempt by art snobs.
Yet posters flew off the shelves.

Bad art yet successful art?
I hate snobs.

Back
Top Bottom