Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is it acceptable to wear a shirt and tie with the top button undone?

I was thinking of work. Why would anyone wear a shirt outside of work? Only a loon would leave bed, much less their house, without being paid to do so. For me, it's either a shirt or the tardigrade onesie.
I quite like wearing them, I have found, to my surprise.
I would rather dress like this at work as I think it is more suited to the environment, but I can't, so I am doing at home instead:
42DAA70D-88DE-4AFE-A3AE-DBD38C869928-132-00000008BF5002E9.jpg

Why does anybody have an opinion on this?

Do what the fuck you want. Unless you've got an interview or something, it really doesn't matter.

the crafty way to do it is by using a tiepin. top button undone, big fat windsor knot and pin the tie so it sticks out a bit like the handle of a teapot. only really works with a high buttoning jacket (three buttons).

Having one button undone is hardy scruffy.

No it's not but if you asking what other people think is acceptable in certain situations then.....

Lots of people I know in non-client facing office jobs or teachers ( :D ) have one button undone and a tie.
It depends on who you work for sometimes too.

the crafty way to do it is by using a tiepin. top button undone, big fat windsor knot and pin the tie so it sticks out a bit like the handle of a teapot. only really works with a high buttoning jacket (three buttons).
Yes but don't forget to leave the bottom one undone. People the world over check Urban75 for style tips.

One button undone looks like youve no real idea what to wear outside work since your mum stopped choosing your clothes for you.
I'm inclined to agree.:D

Menswear hasn't really moved in the last 100 years - fashion obviously comes and goes - but style 'rules' are relatively static. :D At least understand the basics before you start rebelling.
Follow a few basic 'rules' and you can walk straight into any 5* hotel without arousing interest, really useful when you wanna find a nice place to take a dump. :eek:

It does if you've been ticked off like a child just for having your top button undone

Who ticked you off for it?
If it's someone at work then ok, worry about it but if some random person then do what you want.

I think you look much nicer in the sweater and shirt with button undone than in suit and tie but that's just me

I got ticked off at work. Where else would I be ticked off? :D
I would prefer to wear a nice warm jumper, but that's not an option

No, its not just you kitty.... A jumper over a shirt is way more sexy than shirt and tie. Also, more approachable imo.

Stupid school rules.

I never do up the top button, even with a tie, it feels too square and formal. Undoing two buttons - I'm not a heart-throbbing movie star.

If you have to wear shirt / tie then the top button must be done up...
....if your collar feels too tight, when the rest of the shirt fits, then move the top button over a bit - you can get almost 1/2 " extra that way! It saves having to by larger neck size shirts in the slim fitting.

I got ticked off at work. Where else would I be ticked off? :D
I would prefer to wear a nice warm jumper, but that's not an option

I dunno, a fashion savvy friend might have given you a telling off :D

I take it you are in a secondary mainstream school.
Although I do know men who teach mainstream secondary and don't wear a tie at all. They go in like you pic with the sweater. I guess it depends from school to school.

Like madamv said, especially in a school it's a good look imho as it's approachable.

Can we change the subject please? Hard to believe I'm sharing a forum with people who wear shirts with attached collars.

Well?
I thought doing up the button was NOT the done thing, but I have just been informed otherwise.
It's not very comfortable!

I'm not a shirt and tie person normally but when I do wear them I always ensure I have a shirt that I can fasten properly and wear the tie with. Once the situation is over the tie comes off completely and the shirt gets opened :)

I dunno, a fashion savvy friend might have given you a telling off :D

I take it you are in a secondary mainstream school.
Although I do know men who teach mainstream secondary and don't wear a tie at all. They go in like you pic with the sweater. I guess it depends from school to school.

Like madamv said, especially in a school it's a good look imho as it's approachable.
I'm not a teacher btw
We are all expected to wear suits. Well, the men anyway. Apart from the site staff. :hmm:
For some reason, the women staff get to be a bit more casual, or at least have more choice.
At least I don't have to wear a hiviz waistcoat over my suit, like all the teachers.

just wear it how you want and fuck the conventions, are you a maggot or a man?
Oh don't worry. I don't intend constrict my fat neck to please others. It's one of those things that you get away with if you just do up the button if asked, then undo as soon as they are gone. Eventually they stop asking.
The last time I did this was at a school too :D

Orang Utan said:
I'm not a teacher btw
We are all expected to wear suits. Well, the men anyway. Apart from the site staff. :hmm:
For some reason, the women staff get to be a bit more casual, or at least have more choice.
At least I don't have to wear a hiviz waistcoat over my suit, like all the teachers.

Wtf? Why?

Orang Utan said:
To reassure the students or summat
I think that's another daft rule, but there you go

High viz?! That is the mentalist school dress code I have heard.
Teachers at my school only have to wear highviz if they are doing bus duty.

Back
Top Bottom