Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is it acceptable to wear a shirt and tie with the top button undone?

If you buy a larger neck size, but in a slim fit style, they shouldn't be too baggy. Are there any places you could get a shirt adjusted? Although, I'm not sure that such things exist in the UK any more.
You're right about this, though. Slim fit shirts can also be worn untucked and casual - without looking like a painter's smock.

it's acceptable.
who said it wasn't? gee...

i do that look all the time - for interviews, meeting with wanky corporate folk - it's not the pre-war era...no need for brogues and tweeds and fuckin' fuck fucks pompousness.

I don't see what's wrong/scruffy with this, apart from the knot, but I've never been good at tying ties:
E7746B03-84B0-4A78-B4AC-EF3224A86F68-712-000000E715E1F40E.jpg

Its fine, you just look like you've got the wrong size shirt on. Its not a big deal.

it's acceptable.
who said it wasn't? gee...

i do that look all the time - for interviews, meeting with wanky corporate folk - it's not the pre-war era...no need for brogues and tweeds and fuckin' fuck fucks pompousness.

Its just doing your top button up, wearing it how it was designed to be worn. No one is suggesting top hat and tails, just a top button. Its like buying nice shoes and then not bothering to polish them.

I have three 17" neck shirts where I can't do the button up anymore, three 17.5" which just about work and just bought three 8" ones that are about right.

Reminds me, must take the 17" ones to the charity shop, they are no good to me now.

I always do the button up, looks smarter.

I never do up the top button. It's uncomfortable, I detest tyes, it reminds me of primary school. On those occasions where to be suited and booted is necesary, I wish I could get away with dark shirt and no tye. I quite like a suit.

Its just doing your top button up, wearing it how it was designed to be worn. No one is suggesting top hat and tails, just a top button. Its like buying nice shoes and then not bothering to polish them.

what the look you're going for is.
i like to do a scruffy yet smart look.
i own 5 suits of varying cuts and nice smart slim shirts - not cut to size but decent pocketless/ cufflink ones.
I wear a tie but go for that worn-working appearance.
i do it at client meets. VCs. Interviews. Presentations...
I suppose it's an expression on how I feel what a suit is for.

each to their own.

(I also have a real, real thick neck. And feel uncomfortable with it done up).

I don't see what's wrong/scruffy with this, apart from the knot, but I've never been good at tying ties:
E7746B03-84B0-4A78-B4AC-EF3224A86F68-712-000000E715E1F40E.jpg

If that is you OU, you look fine, smart. But you also look as if you have buttonned the top button up, so you may as well do it anyway!! :)

Its fine, you just look like you've got the wrong size shirt on. Its not a big deal.
Its just doing your top button up, wearing it how it was designed to be worn.
except evidently they are not designed for people like me. i shall have to go to savile row and have them made for me.

i never do the top button up. this is because i get rather weirded out and a bit panicky when something is tight around my neck.

except evidently they are not designed for people like me. i shall have to go to savile row and have them made for me.

Balls. Just buy decent shirts ffs. I used to have a 19-20" neck when I played American Football, yet still managed shirts which fitted reasonably well. You do need to select them carefully mind, but it's certainly possible. I'd probably go for a different collar cut if I tended to wear my ties that thinly too fwiw.

Afraid the unbuttoned shirt and tie combo is just a half way wussy house too far for me. Embrace the smart or take scruffy, not this unsatisfying fence sitting nonsense.

IMO if you have a skinny tie knot, having the top button of your shirt unfastened is fine. If you've got a big knot, an open top button makes you look like a nebbish.

No, sorry. One button undone with no tie makes you look like David Mitchell. It's just... Awkward looking. Also, unless you are very, very short, the proportions are deeply unsatisfying.

This is nonsense. One button undone is a simple and universally accepted standard for daily corporate dress, whether it's with a nice suit and cufflinks or a less formal shirt and cords. The rare exhibitionists who undo two buttons in the hope of being leered at by strange women like Spanglechick are ostracised by the rest of the office.

To be fair, I am very, very short, with proportions which are often described as "deeply unsatisfying", but I still believe that this is a universal truth.

FWIW some shirts have the top button sewn to a short concealed length of elastic (under the collar) so that even with the top button done up you'll feel next to no pressure at your throat.

This is nonsense. One button undone is a simple and universally accepted standard for daily corporate dress, whether it's with a nice suit and cufflinks or a less formal shirt and cords. The rare exhibitionists who undo two buttons in the hope of being leered at by strange women like Spanglechick are ostracised by the rest of the office.

To be fair, I am very, very short, with proportions which are often described as "deeply unsatisfying", but I still believe that this is a universal truth.

Nope. Sorry. Have a look at any man who makes the best dressed lists. George clooney, for example. Anyone who cuts a dash. It's not exhibitionism at all, very little flesh is actually exposed. It just gives the same depth proportion as a v neck.

One button undone looks like youve no real idea what to wear outside work since your mum stopped choosing your clothes for you.

Nope. Sorry. Have a look at any man who makes the best dressed lists. George clooney, for example. Anyone who cuts a dash. It's not exhibitionism at all, very little flesh is actually exposed. It just gives the same depth proportion as a v neck.

One button undone looks like youve no real idea what to wear outside work since your mum stopped choosing your clothes for you.

I was thinking of work. Why would anyone wear a shirt outside of work? Only a loon would leave bed, much less their house, without being paid to do so. For me, it's either a shirt or the tardigrade onesie.

I don't think you need to do the top button up with a tie unless its a very formal-wear situation. I would for a job interview or wedding but not much else. Lighter coloured shirts tend to look more scruffy with it undone though; darker shirts you can get away with it because they're a more informal look to start with.

Do make sure the tie is knotted neatly and pulled all the way up though, or you look like a hostage negotiator in a seventies film.

Balls. Just buy decent shirts ffs. I used to have a 19-20" neck when I played American Football, yet still managed shirts which fitted reasonably well. You do need to select them carefully mind, but it's certainly possible. I'd probably go for a different collar cut if I tended to wear my ties that thinly too fwiw.

Afraid the unbuttoned shirt and tie combo is just a half way wussy house too far for me. Embrace the smart or take scruffy, not this unsatisfying fence sitting nonsense.
I don't understand. Why am I being accused of having crap shirts? They're good shirts!

Back
Top Bottom