Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is it acceptable to wear a shirt and tie with the top button undone?

Orang Utan

Psychick Worrier Ov Geyoor
Well?
I thought doing up the button was NOT the done thing, but I have just been informed otherwise.
It's not very comfortable!

No never, if you have to undo the top button take the tie off. Also not acceptable is wearing a tie with a short sleeve shirt, no matter how many fat sweaty salesman think it is.

Do you have to wear a tie? I'd state that for health and safety reasons you shouldn't wear one

Either that or buy a shirt with the right neck size

strictly speaking yeah, but i can't imagine anyone cares, unless you've got a new job as a valet or something.

Or any role that is client facing in numerous industries. it really depends on the industry you are in but a lot of people (me included) can't abide scruffyness in client facing roles.

Always do the top button when wearing a tie in a formal situation.

In a semi formal, no tie, situation, one button undone.

Informal, the top two buttons may be undone.

NEVER EVER more than two buttons, unless you are an actor playing the role of a 1970's Italian lothario.

And avoid at all costs the hated suit but no tie combo unless you still think Tony Blair is a look worth obtaining.

It is.

I wasnt taking piss I used to buy those shirts before I realised they fitted terribly. A fitted shirt should not look baggy just because you've gone up half an inch in coller size.

What industry do you work in? Are you client facing? What sort of clients?
A school. No clients!

I have never bought clothes from a supermarket and I have never even been in a Matelan

I don't give a damn how formal the situation I will never do a top button. Just do your tie up nice to hide it.

I don't give a damn how formal the situation I will never do a top button. Just do your tie up nice to hide it.

I tend towards this approach.

If I have to wear a tie.

Although in my current part-time job we get given a clip-on tie which is impossible to wear unless you do the top button up, and I physically can't with most shirts I have, so I have invested in a couple of cheap shirts a size or two too big.

:mad:

Although this time of year, once you've got a scarf on and a coat buttoned up as far as it will go, no bugger can tell whether or not I'm wearing a tie under all that...

I may have to review the position come the summer assuming (a) we get any summer (b) I'm still in the job.

Always do the top button when wearing a tie in a formal situation.

In a semi formal, no tie, situation, one button undone.

Informal, the top two buttons may be undone.

NEVER EVER more than two buttons, unless you are an actor playing the role of a 1970's Italian lothario.
No, sorry. One button undone with no tie makes you look like David Mitchell. It's just... Awkward looking. Also, unless you are very, very short, the proportions are deeply unsatisfying.

Back
Top Bottom