Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ireland - newcomers and the far right

I posted this on the Euro election thread . This is an in-depth discussion about outcomes in Ireland for the Euro elections.

Some updates on results in the local elections

Cllr Steenson, a former member of the Workers’ Party, was a prominent figure in the East Wall Says No group which opposed the housing of asylum seekers at a former ESB office block

hmmm ...

Reactions: Ax^
Funny that the incumbent t*ssers Fine Gael, Fianna Fáil And the Greens wiped the floor with everybody else, but the talking point is about how terrible that a few nationalist candidates getting in. So much for "punching up".

Another article on the far right councillors elected recently.

Interesting that youth migration does seem to stir up a couple of them, which La directly from governments refusal to do anything but let the market sort out housing , while the ex workers party fella is a real charmer,

Pepper is certainly on the far right gravy train. Was he the guy that threatened to attack Paul Murphy’s family?

Alliance Defending Freedom. Deets:

Thanks Lotte. Interesting Twitter breakdown of the gobshites currently in Dublin.

Having a do in TCD tonight dontchaknow....

Sorry couldn't do a threadreader as she has locked down replies.

Reactions: Ax^
I'll copy and paste the whole thing.

Thread summarising the Free Speech Summit in Dublin, June 18th, 2024.
On first look, this event is being run by Free Speech Ireland, a so called 'grass roots' organisation, apparently dedicated to free speech, expression, and academic freedom.

Digging down a bit, you can't help but notice some themes in terms of who is running/influencing the group. Firstly, the FB page is adminned by 4 people. Only two are Irish. This is a bit strange for a supposed grass roots Irish org.

The second detail that caught my eye on FB was the name of the individual who paid for the first ads back in 2019. A quick search shows that Bryan O'Shea is now a writer for Gripht Media who's first publication was a heartfelt personal defence of the Young America's Foundation. What esteemed company he keeps.

From FB, I moved on to the event site itself, and was quite struck by the smorgasbord of assholes attending, from Gavin Pepper's new US mate Andy Ngo, to our own 'defenders of women's rights' Glinner & Stella O'Malley. There were a few names I didn't recognise, so I dug down.

I thought it was a coincidence that Catholic Herald writer, Laura Perrins, was affiliated with Gripht too, until I started to poke around. As it turns out, there's quite a crossover between Free Speech Ireland & Gripht. As well our 2 above, we've got Fatima Gunning, Ben Scallan,

and Sarah Hardiman, FSI's Spokesperson. Sarah writes a LOT about immigrants. She doesn't seem favourable. She approves of Orban though. I'm surprised. Orban's attacks on free speech are renowned, & deserving of condemnation I would have thought.

Gripht Media aren't the only organisation affiliated with this event though. I was pretty shocked to see that Lorcán Price from the international branch of the SPLC designated hate group, Alliance Defending Freedom, is speaking too. More on the ADF here: Alliance Defending Freedom

but in case it's not obvious, the ADF are Christian Nationalists, who as well as trying to oppose & erode LGBTQ rights, are also coming after reproductive rights, including IVF: In IVF Case, Alabama Supreme Court Protects Life from Conception

But wait, there's more. Not only are the US funded group attending this summit

they're also 'running' it alongside UK's Free Speech Union & FSI, a fact confirmed earlier today by Lorcán, on GBNews, & one that makes a mockery of Fatima's claim that FSI is a 'grassroots organization' (we spell it 'organisation' here in Ireland, Fatima.

So all in all, I don't really feel like this 'Free Speech Summit' tomorrow is really representing anything that resembles advocacy for we would normally consider 'Free Speech'. It kinda seems like a mishmash of personalites & orgs known for advocating against personal freedoms &

in defence of Christian Nationalism. Sad to see that people who claim to defend women's rights and freedoms, and who once stood with the Repeal movement, cleave with this bunch. I guess the lure of the far-right/Christian outrage circuit, and the cash it offers, is too strong.

Also sad to see that some of the speakers have been granted a briefing in Leinster House tomorrow, before the Summit. What a coup for the organisers. I hope someone alerts anyone who turns up, as to the dubious backgrounds & alliances of the organisations involved.

aye sad to see it hit home is the problem for me

ireland always been a few years been hide the states in thread and always jealous of our neighbours and people doing better than others

but the weaponisation of race was never a problem

shit thing to see ferment over the last 20 years as it going to take a lot longer to remove it

This is why I get so fed up with Americans sneering about ~TERF Island~. Where do they think the funding for all this culture war crap is coming from?
Billionaires have too much power to promote their own interests, it doesn’t take very many of them to change the world. You could basically fix this far right problem with only a handful of bullets.

Mary Lou threatened on TwiX by some far right bastard, fuck me they are confident that they do do this kind of shite and get away with it

They're very confident. Have seen a fair bit of it on FB - violent rhetoric, and far right shite. Nothing done about it, really chilling.

Jake Hanrahan from Popular Front interviews "spicebag.exe".

Its a very honest and fair look at the situation in Ireland, recorded in the aftermath of the recent Coolock riots.

Is very honest about the Coolock children pepper sprayed and elderly protesters beaten.

Is honest about "the left" praising the gards/cops for beating fascists. - says housing activists could be next.

Despite taking an overall left wing working class outlook.

In town, the middle class reaction has a follower

ETA for clarity

Attachments

• IMG_1466.jpeg
    IMG_1466.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom