Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"The UK and Ireland"

Let's hear that argument, for a laugh, then.
38,597,428 people
  • 38,597,428 people said they were Irish alone or in any combination during the 2020 Census, making up 16.4% of the overall White alone or in combination population in the US, data from the US Census Bureau released on Thursday, September 21 reveals.

To any form of imperial takeover. We'd enough of empires and then the Catholic church stranglehold over the country, thanks all the same.
You wouldn't find anything like that in US. Catholics are a minority here. Plus statehood would be voluntary by referendum

Here's a reasonably straightforward enough article

And from Wikipedia

Alternative names that have sometimes been coined for the British Isles include "Britain and Ireland", the "Atlantic Archipelago", the "Anglo-Celtic Isles", the "British-Irish Isles", and the Islands of the North Atlantic. In documents drawn up jointly between the British and Irish governments, the archipelago is referred to simply as "these islands".
I propose “Glasgow and the rest”.

38,597,428 people
  • 38,597,428 people said they were Irish alone or in any combination during the 2020 Census, making up 16.4% of the overall White alone or in combination population in the US, data from the US Census Bureau released on Thursday, September 21 reveals.

If Americans want to call themselves Irish, that's fine for them. Nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage.

But the Irish of Ireland are not American, nor will they ever be. Unless they emigrate there...

I'm tickled by the idea that there could be Luxembourg forum on here and a discussion about the term Benelux and why it isn't Luxnebe..

The UK isn't an island, it's a country and Ireland isn't a country it's an island so really you should refer to The UK and Eire OR Great Britain and Ireland. I suppose if Scotland ever becomes independent people would start referring to UK,Scotland and Ireland which is even more confusing.
Evil American Megacorp always referred to it UKI which was part of EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) with the rest of the world being in APA (Asia Pacific) or AMER (which is obvious)
My own personal observation is very few people British or Irish actually give a shit

These islands, the Atlantic Archipelago, are the acceptable descriptions. There's a few others that are politically neutral and considered not as charged as "the British Isles".

The term "UK and Ireland" is used a lot, you'll see it in adverts for availability or even there was a protest or demo highlighted on urban only the other day with the term. I should have linked to it as an example, but can't remember who, what and where exactly it was posted.

Calling the British Isles the Atlantic Archipelago makes as much sense as calling Japan the Pacific Archipelago.

Back
Top Bottom