Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

If your phone line is disconnected what should you hear with a phone plugged in?

ska invita

back on the other side
If your phone line is disconnected what should you hear with a phone plugged in? Should there be any sound at all? Even a crackle?
Ive tried looking it up online but cant find a good answer.
Thanks in advance

You mean disconnected by your landline provider or a fault on the line?

My mother's line was dead last Monday, if I dialled her it sounded like it was ringing, but her phone wasn't. Tried dialing out from her phone, no sound whatsoever.

Disconnected her care-line from the master socket & plugged a phone into that, no sound whatsoever, so at least I knew the fault was outside of her place.

WHen people called me it was ringing at the exchange but not in my house. Apparently it was an engineer error at the local exchange box where they basically unplugged me and gave my connection to someone else.

Depends how it's disconnected. Could be anything from silence to a dial tone but unable to make and/or receive calls. Likewise people dialing the number could get anything from a ringing tone through a message saying the line is unavailable or a continuous beep etc..

yeah i shouldve explained more. I stopped paying for a line, am mobile only, on an internet only package.
my question is now that I plug a phone in to the line theres absolutely no sound...is that correct?

The reason I ask is because ive got a burglar alarm connected to that line and if the alarm goes off it calls my phone.
I forgot about this when i disconnected the line. stupid
I stopped paying for the line about three or four months back.If you call the number it it says "number not in service".
however as recently as last month the alarm went off and it managed to call me.
now it seems to have stopped being able to call me....in fact the alarm won't arm itself, as its seemingly detected the phone line bit isnt working.
im trying to work out if its because i need to reinstate the line (very very likely), or if there might be a problem on the line...maybe its taken them this long to disconnect the line? though up till now the alarm was able to call me, even though the "not in service" message was there

Well, if you stopped paying for it months ago, it's hardly surprising that it's been disconnected.

Or, in the unlikely case that it's a fault, you aren't going to get it fixed now, without paying for the line.

Well, if you stopped paying for it months ago, it's hardly surprising that it's been disconnected.

Or, in the unlikely case that it's a fault, you aren't going to get it fixed now, without paying for the line.
yeah of course!
but somehow the alarm still managed to make calls on the line.... which has confused me.
almost certainly i need to reinstall the line, but just ruling out issues in case something else is up with the line itself

;D
my mate in High Barnet gets Captial Gold playing very quietly in the background on his landline :D almost certainly theyve played the Big Bopper before

They are near the high powered Saffron Green AM site for Captial Gold, it shouldn't be happening TBH, could be easily solved.

We had this problem in Ireland when we fired-up the imported 1Kw American AM rig, which was out town, so only about a dozen properties had the problem, our [pirate radio] engineers went up a couple of telegraph poles & fitted something or other, IIRC resistors, which solved the problem.

Well, until there was a major storm which brought down some lines, and Telecom Éireann engineers went up the poles to reconnect lines, and removed the resistors, so, our engineers had to go back up again & replace them. :facepalm:

yeah i shouldve explained more. I stopped paying for a line, am mobile only, on an internet only package.
my question is now that I plug a phone in to the line theres absolutely no sound...is that correct?

The reason I ask is because ive got a burglar alarm connected to that line and if the alarm goes off it calls my phone.
I forgot about this when i disconnected the line. stupid
I stopped paying for the line about three or four months back.If you call the number it it says "number not in service".
however as recently as last month the alarm went off and it managed to call me.
now it seems to have stopped being able to call me....in fact the alarm won't arm itself, as its seemingly detected the phone line bit isnt working.
im trying to work out if its because i need to reinstate the line (very very likely), or if there might be a problem on the line...maybe its taken them this long to disconnect the line? though up till now the alarm was able to call me, even though the "not in service" message was there
The alarm won't dial you without a working phone line.

yeah its weird. if you called my line last month it said it was disconnected

im just putting off the hour long call to Virgin here really
It will just be a delay between them telling the computer in the exchange that you've been disconnected and them physically disconnecting you.

It turns out I was still getting line rental and the line is down

the things you learn

i also learned what my phone number is :D

Back
Top Bottom