Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

If primary schools/nurseries open on 4th January, will you send your children?

Thora

Differently Ethical
Discussing this currently in my house as we have two primary and one nursery child.

With the news that English & Welsh secondary schools likely won't be going back until 11th/18th at the earliest, and no Scottish schools going back til the 18th - if your primary is open on the 4th will your child be going?

Yes.

If we still had a secondary school one, probably not.

BB1 is now at college and does a week in and a week on Teams, I think the whole college should move to Teams for two months, it’s a popular college with kids coming from as far as Portsmouth and Surbiton.

I'm really torn. We could keep them at home though it would be hard work for me. I just kind of feel that schools should be shut for a couple more weeks so not sure if it's crazy/unreasonable to send mine in if they're open?

Yes.

If we still had a secondary school one, probably not.

BB1 is now at college and does a week in and a week on Teams, I think the whole college should move to Teams for two months, it’s a popular college with kids coming from as far as Portsmouth and Surbiton.
I wonder if it's the one my dad works at...

Not a parent & OH was a secondary STEM teacher (now retired) ...

But, No, I would not send kids of any age to school if the local "case rate" is high or increasing.

The first few weeks after New Year the kids were always riffy with coughs / colds and other bugs, which were merrily handed around all the classes, until herd immunity was achieved ...

Yes, mine will go back to school and nursery as soon as they open. We all have covid at the moment. I know it seems possible to have it twice, but my understanding is you are unlikely to get it again the following week.
But even if we didn't have covid now I'd still be sending them.

Not a parent & OH was a secondary STEM teacher (now retired) ...

But, No, I would not send kids of any age to school if the local "case rate" is high or increasing.

The first few weeks after New Year the kids were always riffy with coughs / colds and other bugs, which were merrily handed around all the classes, until herd immunity was achieved ...

I think that's easier to say in theory than when you have young kids at home going crazy without interaction with other kids and you're also trying to work. For secondary age kids it's easier, depending on the kid.

Yes - I think closure is the best thing to do and we could cope, but plenty of others don't have the privilege we do - I have a job where I have some status, sympathetic manager, we have space, laptops, kids who are a bit older etc. As I've said elsewhere, there's no good answers for everyone in this so we should try to be understanding even if we disagree.

Ah, no then

It’s a great place, outstanding from Ofstead and that, more when BB1 was at primary/junior we lived in Walton-on-Thames and two of her mates are at the college, commuting daily, it’s two trains and a walk up a steep hill.
Do enjoy the emails from them too, speeling and grammar spot on; you see it going from almost illiterate at nursery to pretty crap at primary, iffy at junior, not bad at secondary but with some glaring errors to pretty much perfect at college.

It won't be up to me but if schools are open we'll be sending a five year old to school and a two year old to nursery if we can.

It's been a very tough year for them and it's going to be a lot tougher this time than it was in March. If there's a chance for them to spend a little time with other humans before they come home for four months again I want them to.

I doubt they'll have the chance though.

BB2 needs to spend time with other kids, she’s 7 ffs and has spent most of the past 9 months with people not her age, we can see it impacting her mental health.
Absolutely this.

My daughter turned 8 during the November lockdown. Her birthday party was a chaotic Zoom call with some friends. She was pleased to have it but it was clear to her it wasn't the same as a real party.

I remember being 7 as a pivotal age. When the world opened up. When my horizons suddenly expanded beyond my family and the toys on front of me. When friends became important. Asserting independence. Playing with friends in their park. Getting dropped off at friends houses. Doing our thing without parents around. A key stage of becoming who I am.

My daughter's not had much of that while she was 7. She's been stuck at home with her mum and dad and little brother. Going out has been limited to the same few local places. We've done our best to enliven her life, but what she needs at that age is to be around her friends. And we've seen the impact on her. In lockdown 1, once the novelty of staying home and home schooling wore off, she got quite low. She's always been adventurous, sociable, thrill seeking - all things that aren't on the menu at the moment. In May she retreated into watching hours of Pokemon cartoons as an escape from the boredom. With things opening up in the summer she could see friends in the park again and going back to school in September revived her, though she quickly noticed that all the other stuff - day trips, parties, hanging out at friends houses, the Xmas school play (which she loves) - wasn't happening. Being at school during lockdown 2 meant it was only the weekends that she noticed the limits on what there was to do, but she coped okay with it.

It was boxing day when it hit her this time, once the excitement of Christmas wore off. Since then she's been really down again, showing no interest in doing anything new and no interest in any of the things she's bored of doing. I dread to think of the impact on her if primary schools don't open again next week. So yeah, if they're open she's going back.

When the schools shut in March there was lots of bullish talk about 'kids will bounce back'. But I'm not sure many people had any idea how long this would go on for at that point. Do people remember how long a year lasts when you're 7? They stretch on forever. I do worry about the long term impact this will have on some kids, as necessary as the lockdowns are.

My youngest is 9 and I've seen a similar impact on her mental health only with added anxiety. She's always been a bit anxious and intense, doesn't like change, but it's been amplified this past 9 months, and she's been very low and tearful. Of course, a 7, 8 and 9 year old don't share our sense of time and it's difficult enough for us, our horizons so narrowed, not being able to imagine the future. Both my children (13 and 9) asked a few weeks ago if this will go on until they're adults.

All local schools here, not just secondaries, are online until the 11th. I think that's sensible. I wouldn't be surprised if that is pushed back. Numbers locally are high but decreasing. I do want her to go in, she's an 8 year old only child and it's rough being stuck at home and Roblox and Animal Crossing with friends doesn't cut it, although I suspect she'll end up distance learning for some of the next few months.

Back
Top Bottom