Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

ID Problems - Passport Application

Epona

Sonic: 1 Nov 2006 - 8 Jan 2022
I didn't know where else to put this, but thought here was a safe bet because typically ID is required for many job related things.

The situation is this:

I have had a passport in the past, I haven't seen it for several years and do not know where it is. It's not so much lost or stolen, is most likely down the back of the bookcases that I can't move. It expired in 2004.

Since then, I got married and have changed my name. Misplaced passport is in my maiden name.

Does anyone know for sure how I tackle getting a replacement but in my married name? I can see forms for doing one or the other (replacing a lost passport, or renewing a passport after a change of name), but not both at the same time.

(I have birth certificate and marriage certificate, the only bill in my name is the Council Tax, I also have a bank account).

I've not had photo ID that I can find for over a decade now and it's a bit shit being in an ID black hole.

Last edited:
Is the birth certificate the original?

If it isn’t I think you’d need it to be a certified copy to be acceptable as ID (this is the case for DBS applications).

Is the birth certificate the original?

If it isn’t I think you’d need it to be a certified copy to be acceptable as ID (this is the case for DBS applications).

It's not the original, my dad got a copy for me a few years back when I couldn't find the original. How would I tell whether it is a certified copy?

Last edited:
But this is why I had work for a while and then stopped, I was working for a charity sometimes with vulnerable teens/adults (always while in a situation where I was also supervised) - I don't have any issues with my DBS (my record is completely clean) other than I cannot provide ID, and I couldn't continue working for them - even though my DBS is spotless. So I really do need a passport - so that I can prove I am eligible to work in the UK, get DBS checks done, and prove that I am legally able to buy alcohol in Morrisons (I'm 50, but have issues).

I get incredibly anxious about it tbh, I've not had any proper ID for a long time now (and this of course impacts on many things). I was amazed that I was able to open a bank account a couple of years ago, because I hadn't been able to before that - I'd been without a bank account for over a decade because I couldn't provide enough identification documentation. It is like being a non-person and it is really horrible :(

It is also probably a more difficult situation to get out of than people would think - like oh you just provide this and that document and it's all ok, but if you don't have those documents you are in a horrible void which is a nightmare to sort out.

Well if you need someone to sign a photo I can do it.
(Seeing I know you and am in the right job)

TY, we've been friends for a while and I am sure you can confirm that I am who I say I am! I was trying to get this lined up a couple of years ago but it fell down at the not having enough documentation stage. Then coronavirus happened and getting a passport didn't seem very urgent. I would like one now for trying to get work and being carded in the supermarket though!

So is the general feeling that I should just apply for a new passport from scratch? Is it likely I will run into any issues doing that as I had one previously? Or should I cancel that one before starting from scratch? (I don't know the passport number or anything though).

I think to do a new passport application as an adult you just need the birth certificate - original or certified copy, looking at the gov.uk website.

I imagine a certified copy needs to come from a registry office or similar, probably got a stamp on?

Look at the copy your dad gave you. I’m sure someone else who has gone through the process themselves will be able to advise.

Good luck - I understand that this is daunting for you. You’re not the only one :)

So is the general feeling that I should just apply for a new passport from scratch? Is it likely I will run into any issues doing that as I had one previously? Or should I cancel that one before starting from scratch? (I don't know the passport number or anything though).
If it expired in 2004 then I expect on the form it will ask if you have held a passport before & it is worth saying yes. One would hope they would be able to trace it on their database. Best to be honest about it. You don't want to sign anything that says 'all information is correct' when it isn't.
I have the same problem mine expired in 2006. Although I don't really want to go abroad it would be useful to have photo ID & maybe one day might get the itch to travel again.

It might be worth giving them a ring if they have a contact number to get advice on the best route.

I applied for a replacement a few years back - the original expired long ago, and a replacement I'd ordered since then wasn't delivered so I couldn't send that back for them to cancel (I complained about this at the time so they would have that on record). I explained all this in the form and it went through without a problem.

If you are uncertain about any facts such as passport number or whatever, just state that in the form - it's inevitable that people will lose or misplace old passports, or have them issued in another name - they'll deal with this all the time.

It might be worth giving them a ring if they have a contact number to get advice on the best route.

I applied for a replacement a few years back - the original expired long ago, and a replacement I'd ordered since then wasn't delivered so I couldn't send that back for them to cancel (I complained about this at the time so they would have that on record). I explained all this in the form and it went through without a problem.

If you are uncertain about any facts such as passport number or whatever, just state that in the form - it's inevitable that people will lose or misplace old passports, or have them issued in another name - they'll deal with this all the time.

I can't phone them because I have an auditory processing disorder and can't use phones - it makes it all so much more difficult!

I can't phone them because I have an auditory processing disorder and can't use phones - it makes it all so much more difficult!
Ah right - I forgot you'd mentioned that before elsewhere. They have a 'contact us' form on their site - scroll down to the bottom

It is also probably a more difficult situation to get out of than people would think - like oh you just provide this and that document and it's all ok, but if you don't have those documents you are in a horrible void which is a nightmare to sort out.

Mrs Frank had a nightmare recently thanks to a rule change that states dual citizens can't hold another passport in a different name. Her home country wouldn't let her change her name on her original passport, not without flying back there and hiring a lawyer or something to trawl through all the paperwork, and of course the country was redlisted at the time so that wasn't an option anyway. And with her UK passport expired, she might not have been able to come back here afterwards despite being a UK citizen.

Obviously women are more likely to change their names, so this type of bullshit is likely to affect them disproportionately. Meanwhile oligarchs and dictators come and go as they fucking please on their 'special' visas.

Mrs Frank had a nightmare recently thanks to a rule change that states dual citizens can't hold another passport in a different name. Her home country wouldn't let her change her name on her original passport, not without flying back there and hiring a lawyer or something to trawl through all the paperwork, and of course the country was redlisted at the time so that wasn't an option anyway. And with her UK passport expired, she might not have been able to come back here afterwards despite being a UK citizen.
Did she get it sorted? Someone on reddit recently managed to do get the passport agency to change their decision after contacting their MP.

Did she get it sorted? Someone on reddit recently managed to do get the passport agency to change their decision after contacting their MP.

Eventually someone at the passport office took pity on her and agreed to issue a new UK passport with a note in it saying, this person has another passport in a different name issued by country X. But according to the new rules they're only supposed to do that if it's unsafe for the person to return home and get their name changed on their original passport.

According to the government, you just send your marriage certificate along when you apply for it. You don't need your old passport to apply for a new one.

My old passport isn't current or available though, it is lost.

Maybe I am just confused about how this works, I thought to renew I had to send my old passport or scan something in from it for an online application. I don't have it available to do that, which means cancelling it and starting from scratch and submitting loads of documents and getting ID verification from a qualified person.

My old passport isn't current or available though, it is lost.

Maybe I am just confused about how this works, I thought to renew I had to send my old passport or scan something in from it for an online application.
You don't need your old passport unless you're renewing online.

Contact these folks,

What about my photos though, because I do look somewhat different to how I did in 1994 (although Morrisons staff still seem to think I am under 25 I have actually aged somewhat). Won't they still need updating and verifying?

So it just works like - they have records that I had one that expired 17 years ago (was valid from 1994-2004) and that is good enough?
You need an old one to renew online, not it you apply by post. They have a webchat helpline you can ask them.

i've recently renewed - although old one had run out a few years ago - and they did want me to send my last passport off to them

the process may be slightly different / more long winded if you don't have the old passport to send back - fairly early in the (online) process there was a 'have you still got your last passport?' question - obviously i don't know what would have happened if i'd said i didn't have it, but fairly sure they must be able to cope with it one way or another

What about my photos though, because I do look somewhat different to how I did in 1994 (although Morrisons staff still seem to think I am under 25 I have actually aged somewhat). Won't they still need updating and verifying?

yes, i had to get someone to verify my photo (this can all be done online - i got my photo taken at a timpsons branch, and as well as physical photos, they gave me an online code that links straight to that photo.

the whole verification thing does require a certain amount of 'social capital' - there weren't many people i could ask

You need an old one to renew online, not it you apply by post. They have a webchat helpline you can ask them.

And that means I need to go and get physical photos and have them signed off.

It's just too much for me to cope with, I'm autistic and horribly depressed and it's just too much for me to work out the stages I need to go through. The thought of a live chat with anyone (web based or otherwise) about it is just horrific because it is an issue that is causing me some stress.

The post office have a service that costs £16 that'll check your application for you.

I'd really suggest the passport helpline I'm sure they'll put your mind at rest.

The post office have a service that costs £16 that'll check your application for you.

I'd really suggest the passport helpline I'm sure they'll put your mind at rest.

I really can't do that, I just feel as if I am going to pass out if I have to talk to anyone on the phone (I am hearing impaired anyway as I stated earlier) or by live web chat, it is just too much for me to cope with.

There are some things I need help with due to my issues, it's difficult to access any help because of my issues. If that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom