Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hull - news, chat, opinions, recommendations

Hull is my home town and I'm hugely proud of the work that went in to getting the award and the work that has gone on since. As Roadkill says there is a real optimism around the place. the work that is going on (sorely needed) is transformation.

We just need changes to the ridiculess stereotypes that still persist.

A request has gone in for the old Town to get World Heritage Status.

I'll be visiting next summer. I like Hull. (My alma mater is there.)But I'm from the south bank and am not going to admit this in public.
If you can, you might want to slightly delay your visit to take in the wonderful Freedom Festival from 1st to 3rd September '17, it'll be well worth it :)

Here's a promo (From last year) of what to expect:

On what is this complete and utter nonsense based on?

There was ADM Cocoa off Cleveland Street but they closed down about 5 years ago. There's still a chocolaty miasma around the junction of Springbank and Prinny Ave every now and then when Jackson's Bakery are doing whatever it they are doing.

The only ketchup I allow in my place is the one from Curry 36 by Berlin Zoologischer Garten station. Granted this is a niche thing but fuck it, I like it. I brought back 3 bottle this summer!

I remember that place - Now you are making me want proper Currywurst! :mad:

All cities, towns have smells. I do recall St Andrews dock in the early 70s - if the wind was blowing from the west (as is normal) the whole city could whiff of the piles of fish waste at the end of the dock. A prevailing memory of mine is the apt named Air street and the Holmes tannery that was on it. The smell could wilt a lily. Also the sulphur smells before they built the big chimney.

With doubts I post this..Eleven famous Hull smells from fish meal to cocoa

A Hull MP canvassing for votes....

th

The only ketchup I allow in my place is the one from Curry 36 by Berlin Zoologischer Garten station. Granted this is a niche thing but fuck it, I like it. I brought back 3 bottle this summer!

Hela's curry ketchups and their currywurst ketchup are good, although the "extra scharf" is not particularly scharf. Miles better than that Heinz shit!

Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Hull,
not worth the shit from one seagull...

Hmmm... Now let me see... The poor working class can actually afford to live in which of the following cities...

A) Hull?

or

B) London?

And beer generally costs £3 per pint or less in which of the following cities?

A) Hull?

or

B) London?

Hmmm... Now let me see... The poor working class can actually afford to live in which of the following cities...

A) Hull?

or

B) London?

And beer generally costs £3 per pint or less in which of the following cities?

A) Hull?

or

B) London?
Good point, but then you are drinking your beer in Hull.

the smell of fish
Our office cleaner (who had a PhD from Bradford and had worked for 40 years in town planning) highly commended Hull's fish market.

He (frequently) recommended I go there, just to see it. A masterpiece of town planning, apparently.

If it wasn't for the fact that I don't eat fish (and have been known to spontaneously vomit at the smell) this might have sounded more tempting.

My other main hull contact spent 13 years as HMP Hull's lead nurse.

Which, again, offers a limited subset of insights.

That may be true but who wants to drink in 'spoons all the time?

If you want to know what you are getting in terms of price and quality, atmosphere and a real ale then spoons it is. If you are happy to take more of a pot luck or want an independent place,
then you pays your money.......Spoons is not obligitary.

Our office cleaner (who had a PhD from Bradford and had worked for 40 years in town planning) highly commended Hull's fish market.

He (frequently) recommended I go there, just to see it. A masterpiece of town planning, apparently.

If it wasn't for the fact that I don't eat fish (and have been known to spontaneously vomit at the smell) this might have sounded more tempting.

A fascinating anecdote. Can you point me in the direction of this masterpiece of town planning, please?

He's referring to Fishgate, which closed and was redeveloped years ago. The point I was making was that you're recycling the kind of silly stereotypes that CoC will hopefully dispel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom