Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hull - news, chat, opinions, recommendations

I knocked a load of it down in the early noughties (the St Stephen’s development around the station/Ferensway area), have a load of dull pictures here which give a bit of a clue as to how it used to look, totally changed now:

View attachment 244525
I'm guessing that what's replaced that fine building looks shit?

I'm guessing that what's replaced that fine building looks shit?

It wasn't a very fine building really tbh; just average 1950s municipal architecture thrown up to replace buildings taken out in the Blitz. This is what the area looks like these days:

iu

Great photos, Dogsauce - some of them bring memories back!

It wasn't a very fine building really tbh; just average 1950s municipal architecture thrown up to replace buildings taken out in the Blitz. This is what the area looks like these days:

Great photos, Dogsauce - some of them bring memories back!
A propos of that, a higher number of buildings, pro rata, were damaged in Hull than in London during WW2

I knocked a load of it down in the early noughties (the St Stephen’s development around the station/Ferensway area), have a load of dull pictures here which give a bit of a clue as to how it used to look, totally changed now:

View attachment 244525
I'm not sure giraffe camouflage works well in cities. ;)

I lived in Hull for a year 82/83 while on my industrial placement year on Chanterlands ave? then Hessle rd. When the wind was in the right direction you got a lovely smell of fish from the docks. :)

Anyone in the area wanting to use the bridge, it no longer accepts cash payments, it is cards only, even though there’s people in the toll booths they will not accept payment but will issue notices to pay the £1,50 toll.

I'm not sure giraffe camouflage works well in cities. ;)

I lived in Hull for a year 82/83 while on my industrial placement year on Chanterlands ave? then Hessle rd. When the wind was in the right direction you got a lovely smell of fish from the docks. :)

All that area stinks wind or otherwise.

It wasn't a very fine building really tbh; just average 1950s municipal architecture thrown up to replace buildings taken out in the Blitz.

The building in that photo was actually 1930s, so pre-blitz. It was quite well appointed inside, all oak panelling, Brazilian hardwood flooring and quite a lot of ornament (above the crappy suspended ceiling of the bargain clothes shop on the ground floor was an elaborate plaster dome). This was originally the showrooms/HQ for the local electricity company, housing offices etc, a deep basement with loads of switchgear and a retail bit on ground floor for selling all the latest labour-saving devices, something quite prestigious in those days hence the fancy decor.

Like a lot of steel-framed buildings from that era it was built without allowing for much expansion, so there were some issues with facade cracking at the corners, plus flat roof problems and so on, quite knackered but not beyond saving, they could have done something with it but it was more that it didn’t really fit with the master plan layout, they just swept out several hectares of buildings in the end to give them a clean slate. I did see some irony in them smashing down the characterful 1850s pub with wonky bay windows (a result of bomb damage) then sticking a food court with pub on more or less exactly the same spot, I’m sure with a bit of imagination they could have made a feature of it.

The other big building was the former ABC cinema immediately outside the station, famous for once hosting a Beatles concert, this closed in about 87 (still had posters for The Living Daylights inside) but shops around the outside at ground level stayed open until just before it closed. This meant it remained secured and nobody had been in to ransack the place, much was unchanged from the night it shut (apart from parts where pigeons had got in through broken windows and shat all over the place). A bingo company had planned to use the main screen area after it closed and had started strip out the seats, but then merged with another bingo company that already had a branch locally so that plan was abandoned. I had the keys for the place for a couple of years before demolition and spent a lot of time wandering around with surveyors or by myself, so much to explore. I took quite a lot of treasure home (old posters, film magazines, a nice vintage ribbon microphone, 80s Argos catalogues from the staff room...). Also full of asbestos due to renovation works in the 50s and 70s, it cost them an absolute fortune to strip it all out before it came down.

& another freaky thing with the cinema - one of the quite elderly directors of the demolition company remembered the cinema being built, and how they kept losing piles as the ground conditions were poor. Bearing in mind this was built around 1933 and was taken down in 2004!

Anyway, I enjoyed my days in Hull, shops were much more interesting than Leeds, I guess because low rents made assorted junk shops and record shops (Anlaby Rd mainly) viable.

The building in that photo was actually 1930s, so pre-blitz. It was quite well appointed inside, all oak panelling, Brazilian hardwood flooring and quite a lot of ornament (above the crappy suspended ceiling of the bargain clothes shop on the ground floor was an elaborate plaster dome). This was originally the showrooms/HQ for the local electricity company, housing offices etc, a deep basement with loads of switchgear and a retail bit on ground floor for selling all the latest labour-saving devices, something quite prestigious in those days hence the fancy decor.

Like a lot of steel-framed buildings from that era it was built without allowing for much expansion, so there were some issues with facade cracking at the corners, plus flat roof problems and so on, quite knackered but not beyond saving, they could have done something with it but it was more that it didn’t really fit with the master plan layout, they just swept out several hectares of buildings in the end to give them a clean slate. I did see some irony in them smashing down the characterful 1850s pub with wonky bay windows (a result of bomb damage) then sticking a food court with pub on more or less exactly the same spot, I’m sure with a bit of imagination they could have made a feature of it.

The other big building was the former ABC cinema immediately outside the station, famous for once hosting a Beatles concert, this closed in about 87 (still had posters for The Living Daylights inside) but shops around the outside at ground level stayed open until just before it closed. This meant it remained secured and nobody had been in to ransack the place, much was unchanged from the night it shut (apart from parts where pigeons had got in through broken windows and shat all over the place). A bingo company had planned to use the main screen area after it closed and had started strip out the seats, but then merged with another bingo company that already had a branch locally so that plan was abandoned. I had the keys for the place for a couple of years before demolition and spent a lot of time wandering around with surveyors or by myself, so much to explore. I took quite a lot of treasure home (old posters, film magazines, a nice vintage ribbon microphone, 80s Argos catalogues from the staff room...). Also full of asbestos due to renovation works in the 50s and 70s, it cost them an absolute fortune to strip it all out before it came down.

That's fascinating stuff - thank you! I'd just assumed those buildings were post-war, but come to think of it they were of a piece with the one at the north end of Ferensway with the plaque on it commemorating the road opening in 1931. I suppose at the time I just thought 'good riddance,' because they'd been derelict for as long as I could remember and whatever they built in its place would be an improvement, but these days I'm less sure about the long-term benefit of St Stephens. It opened just as the early 00s boom was ending, so the city went into the recession already oversupplied with retail space, so with that and then the rise of online shopping, nowadays a lot of the shopping streets are half-empty. Still, something had to be done about that part of the city and St Freezing's isn't all bad. Besides, you did us an unqualified favour in getting rid of this:

1608659812535.png

That's fascinating stuff - thank you! I'd just assumed those buildings were post-war, but come to think of it they were of a piece with the one at the north end of Ferensway with the plaque on it commemorating the road opening in 1931. I suppose at the time I just thought 'good riddance,' because they'd been derelict for as long as I could remember and whatever they built in its place would be an improvement, but these days I'm less sure about the long-term benefit of St Stephens. It opened just as the early 00s boom was ending, so the city went into the recession already oversupplied with retail space, so with that and then the rise of online shopping, nowadays a lot of the shopping streets are half-empty. Still, something had to be done about that part of the city and St Freezing's isn't all bad. Besides, you did us an unqualified favour in getting rid of this:

View attachment 244806

That building had been derelict forever, there was grass growing on some of the internal floors, soaked through from knackered roof/blocked gutters. Nobody could be bothered taking it down as doing so didn’t free up any land for development, it was just on stilts over the drop-off road, which meant it was expensive to demolish, and also full of asbestos. I think the RDA (Yorkshire Forward) paid for it to go in the end.

Please do. And please drink a pangalactic gargleblaster for me.
So I failed to make it there as the cab failed to show up and we had to get a bus back to the hotel to drop off the gear. But we managed to take in no less than 3 local pubs after midnight and met some very interesting clientele. I don't think I'd ever want to live here but I loved the 'fuck it, let's go out and get fucking smashed' attitude.

So I failed to make it there as the cab failed to show up and we had to get a bus back to the hotel to drop off the gear. But we managed to take in no less than 3 local pubs after midnight and met some very interesting clientele. I don't think I'd ever want to live here but I loved the 'fuck it, let's go out and get fucking smashed' attitude.
Where did you go?
It's a very unique city in many ways, partially historically because of the influence of the fishing trade of course. High risk, long times away etc. It's a total outpost of a city too.
I miss it with every fibre of my being but I can't ever see myself moving back there. So I have a complicated relationship with it.

I’ve a bit of a soft spot for hull, my mum and uncle grew up there and its where almost all of that side of the family live. It’s got a lot of character but almost had a huge amount of modernisation lately, done quite nicely

I spent a lot of time there with work in the early noughties, amongst other projects working on the preparation works for the St Stephen’s shopping place and surrounding area (knocked down the old bus station and cinema). Like a lot of run down places it had cheap rents so loads of interesting shops that wouldn’t be viable in many other better heeled cities, dirty old school second hand record shops etc. Enjoyed going there, would love to go back to see how it is now.

The cheese is an institution, but god I'm so sorry. They're shit pubs 🤣
They weren't all bad as they were open at 3am! Cheap too.

The King Edward was quite special. Some of the crowd were unbelievably pissed, some were asleep and others were absolutely fucked on coke. Had to admire the calmness of the security and bar staff in the face of all this mayhem.

Back
Top Bottom