Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hull - news, chat, opinions, recommendations

Waterfront's still there. Had a bad fire and was shut for a while and then reopened - now called the Sugar Mill. I've not been in, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't still as bad as ever it was! :D

I miss the Room. Cracking drum and bass nights in there, back in the 1990s. :(

I miss the Room. Cracking drum and bass nights in there, back in the 1990s. :(
that's it, I was trying to remember the name of the club I'd been to in Hull in about 96 with some mates who were at uni there... twas a Cream night IIRC, and I was so spangled I couldn't remember who was actually with our possie and who were just total randoms, so I had to be yoinked off the dancefloor at the end as I'd spent the last hour dancing with a complete bunch of randoms and my actual mates and their mates were in the process of leaving... or something like that.

I've vague recollections of waking up in some girls bed as well, but with no recollection of whether we'd been shagging, or if she'd just let me sleep there, or what her name was. I'm still none the wiser on either score tbh.

that's it, I was trying to remember the name of the club I'd been to in Hull in about 96 with some mates who were at uni there... twas a Cream night IIRC, and I was so spangled I couldn't remember who was actually with our possie and who were just total randoms, so I had to be yoinked off the dancefloor at the end as I'd spent the last hour dancing with a complete bunch of randoms and my actual mates and their mates were in the process of leaving... or something like that.

I've vague recollections of waking up in some girls bed as well, but with no recollection of whether we'd been shagging, or if she'd just let me sleep there, or what her name was. I'm still none the wiser on either score tbh.

Yes, that sounds like a night at the Room. :D Long gone now, though. It changed hands ten years ago, and all the nights like that moved elsewhere. It closed down a few years later. AFAIK a few drugs busts didn't help it much either.

I'm trying to remember the name of another club in Witham, just east of the river, that also used to do nights like that. I only went a couple of times and it was a rough old dive with a generally fairly dodgy clientèle, but if you wanted to get spannered off your face and dance all night it was the best place in the city. Also gone, sadly, AFAIK.

Hull city centre is well worth a walk around with a camera. Although parts of the city were levelled in the war and then cheaply rebuilt and/or carved up with new roads, other parts are absolutely beautiful. I've taken hundreds of photos of it in recent years: I really should put them online sometime.

My suggested route would be a walk around Kingston Square,which was intended as an imitation of fashionable London squares of its day and is really nicely preserved. After that, walk across to Whitefriargate, which is rather depressed as a shopping street atm (a combination of recession and diversion of trade to the new St Stephens centre) but contains some lovely buildings. Look up, above the shop frontages, and take a walk down Parliament Street and the Land of Green Ginger as well. From there, walk down into the Old Town, around Trinity Square area, and then up Prince Street or Posterngate to Prince's Dock. From there it's an easy walk along the side of the dock, across Castle Street, and down the side of the yacht basin (formerly Humber Dock) to the estuary. Me, I'd stop there, have a pint in the Minerva, a lovely old pub right on the waterfront, and watch the world go by: it's one of my favourite ways to pass a bit of time in the city. But if you're driving that's probably not an option - which is a shame, 'cos I could rattle off half a dozen city-centre pubs that would be well worth a visit. There are plenty of decent coffee shops and suchlike, though, my favourite being McCoy's, just off Victoria Square. It's a nice spot to sit outside and watch the world go by on a sunny day.

If you're bored of walking or it's raining, the city's museums are well worth a look. The maritime museum is a bit faded in need of a refurb (would have happened, then the money vanished with the recession) but still fascinating, and the Streetlife Museum and Wilberforce House on the High Street (another pretty old street well worth a wander) are both excellent - and free. If it's open the Arctic Corsair, a preserved trawler, is also worth a visit. The the old Spurn lightship, in the Humber Dock just by Castle Street, is also open to the public. Back up in the city centre, if art is your thing I'm told that Ferens Art Gallery is one of the best regional galleries in England.

A few pics:

4708328159_850b4b16bd_z.jpg

Prince Street

4329924615_8c89f27ed3.jpg

Trinity Square

5011228388_5b45f562f1_z.jpg

High Street

The_Maritime_Museum_Hull.jpg

Victoria Square and the maritime museum. The long, narrow stretch of municipal gardens behind this leading down to the River Hull is a filled-in dock, one of the first wet docks in the country - which is why this lovely piece of Victorian architecture was actually the docks office until (IIRC) the 1970s.

4571496107_1a89db36b1_z.jpg

Parliament Street, looking down towards Whitefriargate.

*feels homesick*
I stayed at Grammar School Yard a lot - made me a bit ahh to see these pictures. Hitchcocks was a unique experience - a cafe with decapitated Barbie dolls and a veggie buffet where the first person to book a table got to choose the nationality of the cooking on that night - and no matter where in the world you chose you got this odd carrot dish and cheesecake made from Angel Delight mix.

fucking hell is hitchcocks still going :eek: they've been doing that for at least 14years now

I like Hull, my eldest daughter was born there, i like to see Hull City do well, I enjoyed spending time there so I hope this City of Culture thing is a positive thing for the place. Anyone from Hull know what they can expect from this?

Hull to be UK City of Culture

So much piss-taking on the likes of Twitter, but it's got a way more interesting city centre than Leeds and many other towns, I know where I'd rather go nosing around the shops. Affluence makes cities expensive and boring.

Also a Hull fan. Having a street called The Land of Green Ginger and Dagger Lane appeals to me. Grammar School Yard I was once in at midnight around christmas time by the church and it was snowing - it looked like being inside a lovely snow globe. The Deep, Hull Truck - all good.

i know it sounds a bit trite but i genuinely found everyone really nice too. they know how to enjoy themselves on a night out, that's for sure! the town centre is interesting and got some fine buildings. we got some great chinese food there too.

Unpopular outcome in Swansea for several people I've been chatting with, this Hull decision.

But I have no problem myself-- not least because I've been picking up locally in SA about how token/going through motions Swansea's halfhearted effort was.

I also get the impression that those in the know think much more effort is being focussed in the City on the Dylan Thomas centenary celebrations next year (the old Jack drunk/genius poet was born in 1914).

If Hull made a better and more professional effort at securing the City of Culture lark, them good luck to them I say :)

Techno I'm too old and boring to know about these days, but there are plenty of places to get a more than passable curry. Whereabouts are you staying?

Do go and have a pint in the Minerva, in that case: it's a great pub, and if you drink real ale and fancy a few more a walk up to the High Street/Scale Lane area where there are enough nice pubs to let legless in the space of a hundred yards or so. Indeed, if you fancy an early-evening pint one or other evening I work in that part of town so can wander down and meet you.

In terms of curries, the city centre's not great for Indian restaurants - or Asian restaurants full stop, barring a nice Chinese place called Yinjibar on Charles Street and Desaru, a Malaysian restaurant on Prospect Street. The best Indian restaurants I know are Raj Pavilion at the town end of Beverley Road (which is perhaps odd, because it's in very a run-down part of town), and Bengal Lounge on Princes Avenue, which is about mile from the centre and pretty much wall-to-wall restaurants and bars, including a superb Malaysian place and the legendary Ray's Place. Swadh, a South Indian restaurant in a hotel on the Hedon Road, has a good reputation but I've not got around to trying it yet. There are loads of others dotted about, but none outstanding AFAIK.

*e2a* I forgot a place whose name I don't recall offhand, opposite the Gardeners Arms on Cottingham Road.

Last edited:
I miss my trips to Hull. Is Andy's Records still going? Spent a fortune on northern soul CDs in there!

I don't think I know of Andy's Records. Where is/was it?
It was in the city centre I don't know the street names. Anyway I've since found out it closed 2003 which was just after I left the area. Probably lack of sales to me that did it :D

Andy's Records were a chain across the East of England (we had one in Peterborough) they we're good stores.

It was in the city centre I don't know the street names. Anyway I've since found out it closed 2003 which was just after I left the area. Probably lack of sales to me that did it :D

Actually, now Belushi's reminded me I think I do remember Andy's Records. IIRC it was on Carr Lane. Back then we had HMV, Our Price, the Virgin Megastore, Andy's Records and, in Hull, the legendary Syd Scarborough's. All gone now bar HMV. Thanks internet. :(

Roadkill I've only just seen the replies from you on this thread. Last night in hull tonight I'm afraid. But I'll be back soon so maybe we could meet up?

I'm in a quite groovy pub in the old town at the mo. Black boy? They do a pie and a pint for a fiver. :thumbs:

Roadkill I've only just seen the replies from you on this thread. Last night in hull tonight I'm afraid. But I'll be back soon so maybe we could meet up?

I'm in a quite groovy pub in the old town at the mo. Black boy? They do a pie and a pint for a fiver. :thumbs:

Sounds good to me! :)

Black boy's a nice pub. :cool: If you've not been in already, the Lion and Key just down the street is well worth a look, as, these days, is the Sailmaker's Arms, opposite the Hull & East Riding Museum.

Sounds good to me! :)

Black boy's a nice pub. :cool: If you've not been in already, the Lion and Key just down the street is well worth a look, as, these days, is the Sailmaker's Arms, opposite the Hull & East Riding Museum.

I had fish and chips in the Lion and Key recently and it was excellent , good beer too .

Back
Top Bottom