Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

HS2 high-speed London-Birmingham route rail project - discussion

That's what happens when you put a bunch of idiots in charge of major projects. :(
It's academic anyway because as Crispy says there isn't extra space available at St Pancras. For through running between the continent and non-London UK, the option was to make a connection between HS1 and HS2 (somewhere under north london), then probably run without stopping in London, direct to Birmingham and/or other destinations and have the passport/security checks done there. But the connection was considered too expensive.

The latest optimistic cost-benefit analysis of the HS2 of the government indicates that the benefit–cost ratio based on comprehensive estimates including the wider economic benefits tantamount to an unfavourable allocation of funds where there are many other competing investment demands. The latest optimistic benefit-cost ratio has plummeted to an insignificant level of net benefits, from the value for money presumption of earlier forecasts based on desk studies with poor estimates lacking attention to detail.

On that account, it may be a good decision to prorogue the planned extension of the HS2 from Birmingham to Manchester. However, rail transport is the most desirable mode for the rest of the twenty-first century, and many of the planned high-speed rail tracks should be built in the future when they are able to generate better value for money. The money already spent on the planned extensions, and assets compulsorily purchased should be retained with the HS2 project, and put to good use in long-term abeyance. The farmlands can be rented to previous owners if they agree or otherwise to other interested parties. Houses can be rented. The rail corridors earmarked for HS2 extensions should be reserved for future rail projects. The proposed high-speed rail tracks are a great asset to future rail transport free from congestion by other rail networks. The envisaged sale of assets acquired by the HS2 is a myopic forlorn decision. They can be rented or leased until the projects are resurrected.

The latest optimistic cost-benefit analysis of the HS2 of the government indicates that the benefit–cost ratio based on comprehensive estimates including the wider economic benefits tantamount to an unfavourable allocation of funds where there are many other competing investment demands. The latest optimistic benefit-cost ratio has plummeted to an insignificant level of net benefits, from the value for money presumption of earlier forecasts based on desk studies with poor estimates lacking attention to detail.

On that account, it may be a good decision to prorogue the planned extension of the HS2 from Birmingham to Manchester. However, rail transport is the most desirable mode for the rest of the twenty-first century, and many of the planned high-speed rail tracks should be built in the future when they are able to generate better value for money. The money already spent on the planned extensions, and assets compulsorily purchased should be retained with the HS2 project, and put to good use in long-term abeyance. The farmlands can be rented to previous owners if they agree or otherwise to other interested parties. Houses can be rented. The rail corridors earmarked for HS2 extensions should be reserved for future rail projects. The proposed high-speed rail tracks are a great asset to future rail transport free from congestion by other rail networks. The envisaged sale of assets acquired by the HS2 is a myopic forlorn decision. They can be rented or leased until the projects are resurrected.
Welcome to the forums, ChatGPT!

HS2 has already achieved its real purpose. Lots of public money went to "generous political donors" and politicians got to claim to be doing "something for the North". What's the point in spending money on actually making it happen when the aims have already been met?

It's just dawned on me how massive Old Oak Common it is going to be and this is despite not knowing if it going to be a termini or not

"There will be six 400m-long (1,300ft) platforms here.
On top of that, eight conventional platforms..."

This whole thing is down to the vermin squeaking through in the Uxbridge by-election with the ignorant-gammon vote against ULEZ which most of them have now realised doesn't affect them in the slightest, so Sunak and his team of geniuses has deduced that the populace will vote for the party that is most motorist-friendly. They really are that shit.

I wonder if it could have been put together by someone in the department begrudging the loss of HS2, without being signed off at a ministerial level? The optics are that bad that it’s hard to believe it wasn’t done on purpose.

I wonder if it could have been put together by someone in the department begrudging the loss of HS2, without being signed off at a ministerial level? The optics are that bad that it’s hard to believe it wasn’t done on purpose.
These were my thoughts too.

That definitely didn't happen.

Filling in potholes in London is so important. It is where all the great big, expensive cars are. We don't want them getting damaged if we can help it.

Filling in potholes in London is so important. It is where all the great big, expensive cars are. We don't want them getting damaged if we can help it.
It actually is important because potholes affect cyclists the worst (SUVs the least I would say) and cycling is an important mode of transport for London. Potholes are a serious safety issue for cyclists in a way they mostly aren't for cars. That obviously doesn't mean the money should be raided from funds earmarked for northern transport. There's plenty of money for everyone, just sitting in the wrong bank accounts.

From my limited observations, I think there are few potholes in the dedicated cycle lanes or is this not correct?
Are cycle lanes a good thing even as there are so many different types and they tend to collect lots of debris and don't get cleaned.

From my limited observations, I think there are few potholes in the dedicated cycle lanes or is this not correct?
Are cycle lanes a good thing even as there are so many different types and they tend to collect lots of debris and don't get cleaned.
The dedicated lanes are usually OK (though not always cleared of leaves/ice/snow), the pink strips at the side of the road less so as they often have drains, damage from heavy lorries parking etc. There are some terrible ones in Bristol, thinking of Park Row which also has those wand things to keep cars out. I’ll often just take the road if it’s not full of queuing cars.

The dedicated lanes are usually OK (though not always cleared of leaves/ice/snow), the pink strips at the side of the road less so as they often have drains, damage from heavy lorries parking etc. There are some terrible ones in Bristol, thinking of Park Row which also has those wand things to keep cars out. I’ll often just take the road if it’s not full of queuing cars.
I'm guessing the London equivalent is blue strips, which are just a form of paint. I imagine they are very slippery when wet.

I'm guessing the London equivalent is blue strips, which are just a form of paint. I imagine they are very slippery when wet.
Blue strips were the original ‘cycle superhighways’, not sure if London still has some pink strips for more minor routes?

In the main cycle lanes are a very good thing, though there are some badly designed and maintained ones. Neverthless most routes don't have dedicated cycle lanes so you have to cycle on the road a lot of the time, often near the edge where the worst potholes are.

It's really wierd going abroad and realising that most British pavements and many British roads are closer to cobbles than paved.

At the very least they are the same colour for more than a foot or two elsewhere

Back
Top Bottom