Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How was your cycle commute?

38 tooth middle chainrings appear to be obsolete now :mad:

Surely people still have them on hybrid 9, 10 and 11 speed bikes ?

I suppose I'll need to "upgrade" my bike eventually, but I have several years' supply of chains and cassettes (they were cheap) ...

I had a very pleasant rural ride this morning. That was until 2 miles from home as I had to go through the city centre. I've done that many times before but fuck me, the amount of traffic was ludicrous. You've still got 4 and a half weeks to buy your shit, you pricks! Plus you've got the train, the buses, the park-and-ride and your own feet!

Hopefully my movement in between the cars to cut to near the front might have inspired some of them to ditch the cars and take two wheels instead.

Yeah, right.

Just had my first no-question homicidal driver chase me (and my partner) and do a punishment pass at high speed. A royal mail van driver who picked a fight because we looked funny at his van for being parked on a double yellow obscuring a driveway and obscuring our view out of a junction. There was no need for him to be parked there, there was miles of empty single yellow a little bit further back. He picked a vocal aggressive fight with us and after we realised he was just being a cunt we cycled away - only for him to come screaming up the hill after us and pass with a couple of inches to spare at 30mph. Then stopped (on another double yellow!) and got out his van I think to offer a square go. This cunt

DRg3VM1W0AARAkz.jpeg

So we've tweeted royal mail with it. I hope he loses his job, the homicidal prick. He shouldn't be in charge of a vehicle.

Just had my first no-question homicidal driver chase me (and my partner) and do a punishment pass at high speed. A royal mail van driver who picked a fight because we looked funny at his van for being parked on a double yellow obscuring a driveway and obscuring our view out of a junction. There was no need for him to be parked there, there was miles of empty single yellow a little bit further back. He picked a vocal aggressive fight with us and after we realised he was just being a cunt we cycled away - only for him to come screaming up the hill after us and pass with a couple of inches to spare at 30mph. Then stopped (on another double yellow!) and got out his van I think to offer a square go. This cunt

View attachment 123515

So we've tweeted royal mail with it. I hope he loses his job, the homicidal prick. He shouldn't be in charge of a vehicle.
You have the reg, time and location. So they will be able to identify the driver 100%.

Take the cunt to the cleaners, I would certainly report to the police as well.

FWIW (and you probably already know this) they are allowed to park on double yellows for deliveries, but what a fucking arsehole. Any chance there's CCTV of the road? Hope you're both OK and get a decent response from Royal Mail and/or the peelers.

FWIW (and you probably already know this) they are allowed to park on double yellows for deliveries, but what a fucking arsehole. Any chance there's CCTV of the road? Hope you're both OK and get a decent response from Royal Mail and/or the peelers.
If the load demands it. But he was just emptying a post box. He was just a lazy twat using that as an excuse. No CCTV, it's just a residential street. A 20mph limit street with massive speed bumps which makes it all the more obvious what a bastard he was being by revving up and zooming past.
I thought about reporting it to the police but I doubt anything will happen beyond maybe a caution. I think via his employer is much more likely to have actual consequences for him, which he thoroughly deserves.

Two punctures in successive rides. Grr.

One more ride this year, to get home this evening. that'll take me to 3294 miles.

So tempting to go and do six miles tomorrow for the hell of it.

Two punctures in successive rides. Grr.

One more ride this year, to get home this evening. that'll take me to 3294 miles.

So tempting to go and do six miles tomorrow for the hell of it.

Make it 39, that'll be a lot more pleasing.

nah, too cold, I've got a bus pass for this week. Only a little snow on the ground so just use main roads and it's fine but I ain't dealing with that windchill!

I had a puncture last night, so left my bike at work, so I would have had to get the bus in anyway. I'm not cycling home though. Too many uncleared roads to be safe enough to

I'm anxiously awaiting gaijinboy to get back from Canary Wharf. Back in the day I used to commute to Chiswick from Brixton snow or no snow and took a fair few tumbles on ice. These days I won't do it any more - don't bounce like I used to plus I work locally so I can walk anyway. I wish he wouldn't either but he point blank refuses to take the train/bus/tube

eta he's back "I loved it - the peace and the calm on the roads was so lovely - I wouldn't want to miss out on it".

Main roads (in london) fine again today... i reckon it would have been a nightmare trying to get in by bus though, there weren't many about, not as much of any traffic.

Walking seemed much more treacherous yesterday, the pavements are icy.

oh and my lock froze, I had to pour boiling water on it to be able to get home from work.

Cycling into 30MPH winds was interesting - thankfully only light snow and it kept the paths and roads empty.
Probably heading home around 2PM when the snow is expected in earnest - having the wind behind me will be a bonus.
Thankfully the roads going home are fairly quiet and the surfaces too rough to get slippery.
Had icebergs in my water bottle after only 30 minutes :)

Main roads (in london) fine again today...

I ditched the racing bike in favour of a hybrid with slightly more grip and disc brakes for the past couple of days.
This morning was fine, but I'm looking with a little worry outside atm - my route is mainly bus routed though so tends to be gritted and relatively clear. Not like the bike lanes....

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 17.20.08.png [

The roads here are covered in snow, so I'm getting the bus, but I've seen a few cyclists. I am struggling to understand what's going through their heads. Don't they care about their own safety? :confused:

The roads here are covered in snow, so I'm getting the bus, but I've seen a few cyclists. I am struggling to understand what's going through their heads. Don't they care about their own safety? :confused:

Rule #9 ;)

It was fucking freezing today, but I managed to get lucky with some lights, catch a long draft off a van down Kennington Rd and have a little catch-me-if-you-can riding with a lycraCannondale man - lost him eventually.

I got home in just under 30mins, which is pretty quick - a way off my quickest, but faster than I've been for a few months. Riding fast in the cold to warm up :D

Very rare for me to take a Monday off - especially at short notice, but the roads looked iffy at 7 am and I wasn't feeling 100 percent in any case. As it happens, the only bus route affected in Bristol was due to a steep hill I have to descend, so I was faced with walking 4 miles on icy pavements and risking a tumble, or catching two buses and being exposed to unfamiliar germs, so I decided that staying in bed was the better part of valour.

Annoyingly, by 10am the sun was shining on dry roads ...

Back
Top Bottom