Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How many days a week do you WFH?

How many days a week do you work from home?

• Total voters
3.5 days a week but that's all of them.

I've been 100% remote from the start in this job, since before covid. The only thing covid changed was to level the playing field and make remote working more sociable and satisfying.

We have a London office but I haven't been able to go in due to illness. I'd rather be able to go in sometimes, I find it very isolating and the lack of movement built into the day is not healthy.

I do however have a colleague, also remote, who I chat to throughout the day which helps. We have many more remote people now and it's just very different.

I'm kind of job hunting atm and I do worry other employers would not let me be fully remote. Just got to suck it and see though. I'm not likely to find a local job in my field which I could commute to, it's a national or even international type thing.

Was 5 through covid and a while afterwards, have moved to 2 days in since September. I don't honestly need to be in at all, unless there's a particular reason. But we're part of the Network team and they need to be in all the time so it's a sort of solidarity thing to be in for the team meetings and whatnot.

I'm surprised at how many are 4 or 5 wfh. Clearly there are some jobs where that's not possible, but even with jobs where you can it seems to demonstrate that the pull factors of the office are not enough (whether that's cost/time commuting/lack of benefit of in person interaction/something else).

I'm lucky that the office is 30mins bike ride away, but the main reason for going in is to see colleagues - and particularly trainees - face to face. The day to day client work can and is carried out perfectly efficiently online. Training wholly remotely short-changes trainees.

(I'm wfh 1 or 2 days a week on average)

Just started a new job, came into office on Monday when obviously it's pretty quiet, thought I'd see what Wednesday is like and it's busier but not as much as my last place mid-week. Though loads more than the place I worked before that after covid. Planning to probably do two days a a week to get out of the house, and meet some people. The team I'm in it seems most people and equivalent teams in other sectors don't really come in much as its very doable from home and contacts are spread about nationally.

But glad no one's that bothered about when/if you come in as I appreciate the value of being able to go 'actually I feel crap this morning, I'll just wfh' if you have a bad night/ feel rough/ get up super early to check the Tories are out, etc.

We have to do 50% of the month in the office so it's perfect really.

I agree Cloo - this morning I wasn't feeling too clever and in the days gone by may have called in sick, but WFH instead.

I'm nearly full time at home. Where I work downsized office space so now only enough desks for 30% of staff. You have to book a desk and unless you are on the booking system when it opens no chance of a desk Monday to Thursday, Fridays are OK.
I was asked to go in 3 days a week, when I pointed above out it was withdrawn thank god.

I'm nearly full time at home. Where I work downsized office space so now only enough desks for 30% of staff. You have to book a desk and unless you are on the booking system when it opens no chance of a desk Monday to Thursday, Fridays are OK.
I was asked to go in 3 days a week, when I pointed above out it was withdrawn thank god.
Now that's doing it wrong! I booked a desk today, it was advised but doesn't seem like it'll be that necessary as I'd say 40-50% desks still free anyway. They have signs noting some desk banks as priority for certain teams, which seems fair.

Don't work from home since I am now retired, before I retired I worked from home full time only going in once every few weeks but we pensioners don't have any of that nonsense to deal with since being retired is so awesome.
Did I mention I'm retired now?

We are required to go in one day per month. I'm not surely how I managed a 5 day week every week previously.

Last edited:
| worked outside throughout lockdown but I said goodbye to my final customer just this week. I do need to earn some £££ though so have a vague wheeze. I was thinking of advertising my services as a private horticultural consultant as a garden teacher on a one to one basis. I have taught courses before (carpentery for a few years, then horticulture) and it makes perfect sense (to me) to make use of 30 years of garden experience, using someone's own garden as a basis for seasonal maintenance, plant science and propagation, pruning and training, plant choices and design. I absolutely can't be doing with jobbing gardening anymore (design and build was a lot more fun and lucrative too)...and it was always a balls ache, avoiding jobs which were basically just clear-up or worse, customers who thought my hourly/daily rate was all they ever needed to spend (used to grow shitloads of plants for tight customers), Does the Urban collective think this idea is doable? Basically, a private tutor, I guess.

apols for veering OT.

| worked outside throughout lockdown but I said goodbye to my final customer just this week. I do need to earn some £££ though so have a vague wheeze. I was thinking of advertising my services as a private horticultural consultant as a garden teacher on a one to one basis. I have taught courses before (carpentery for a few years, then horticulture) and it makes perfect sense (to me) to make use of 30 years of garden experience, using someone's own garden as a basis for seasonal maintenance, plant science and propagation, pruning and training, plant choices and design. I absolutely can't be doing with jobbing gardening anymore (design and build was a lot more fun and lucrative too)...and it was always a balls ache, avoiding jobs which were basically just clear-up or worse, customers who thought my hourly/daily rate was all they ever needed to spend (used to grow shitloads of plants for tight customers), Does the Urban collective think this idea is doable? Basically, a private tutor, I guess.

apols for veering OT.
Sounds like a plan to me, go for it.

Currently 0.
One of the things I have noticed (which I've been suspicious about for years now) is places where no one can work from home are more susceptible to workplace predators and aresholes, cuz you can't get away from them.

apols for veering OT.
I was doing similar with one job down south, in a less structured way - more working alongside someone and showing how to do stuff as we went, rather than planned lessons. If you can find the right customers I think it could work really well for you.

I've gone the opposite way and after always swearing I'll never do landscaping because I'm lazy and prefer fiddling about propagating stuff for free, I'm apparently about to help someone build a natural swimming pool :facepalm:

apols for veering OT.
I think that's a great idea; where I live there are loads of 'gardeners' of the mow and hack sort, precious few who know - or care - anything about plants.

apols for veering OT.
Just grow weed.
P. S... don't get caught :D

Back
Top Bottom