Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your WFH 'sins' confessed!

What are you doing at least some days, you naughty people?

• Lots of looking at urbs/social media

Votes: 47 78.3%
  • Laundry/household chores

Votes: 48 80.0%
  • A second job

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Napping

Votes: 29 48.3%
  • Boozing/getting stoned

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Dropping the odd email off outside working hours to look like you've been working the whole time

Votes: 30 50.0%
  • Extended breaks

Votes: 43 71.7%
  • Other

Votes: 24 40.0%

• Total voters
I've voted for all the ones I've done in the past. I don't nap or booze anymore (or maybe, at the moment).
I work for myself though, so I don't have to pretend to anyone that I'm working. Despite that I never do a full on slack off and watch TV. I do go for runs and swims, meet people for long lunches, do housework, chat on the phone etc.

I do ALL the housework while WFH. I have absolutely no idea how I ever had time to do any of it before.
Also personal admin, emails etc
But I do work more than my hours, and I work at least as much as I did before, just the times are a bit more random. It's ok, i don't mind it. I can get stuff done when I have the energy for it

Yep, same here. Quick puff every 10 mins. It's a nightmare when I go into the office. I have to use nicotine lozenges.
I find I can go hours and hours without vaping while wfh. As soon as a 'video assumed' meeting comes on I want to become a chimney.

During the sunny weather of the pandemic tested the 'ruggedised' (word?) laptops I got from work and sat in the paddling pool while turning tea into piss for a living.

The only things I didn't do was a second job, and the boozing - all the other stuff was just de rigor...

I got told off for vaping on a client teams meeting!
I got blamed for setting off the fire alarms cos someone said I had a vape. Ignoring that I was at my desk twice and not in the building once of the three times they abandoned the building due to bad instalation. I vaped in the disabled bathroom (top floor and no disabled people). Blowing into the extraction fan and 15 foot from the smoke detector..

Definitely lots of phone browsing. I don’t do any housework when I’m working but Mr Looby does as he finds it easier to split his focus. I’m too easily distracted.

I do watch telly too but nothing I have to concentrate on.
I sometimes have a lunchtime nap. If I get up late, I’ll also log on then do my make up whilst I’m reading emails etc first thing.

I’ll take longer breaks if needed but I also do some admin in the evenings and late visits so I give much more time than I take back.

It’s my last day of full time WFH tomorrow. I have mixed feelings. I’m looking forward to going into the office a couple of days a week but I’m not looking forward to having to get up before 8am again.

Last edited:
I'm scared I'll lose it though if I'm not productive.
And I have days in the office and WFH where it's wading through treacle and nothing gets done but I'm a lot more worried about when those days WFH than in the office
This was never even a choice previously so it feels very precious. Especially as you can do washing and stroke cats during the working hours.

Have done most of the obvious ones. Definitely have a cleaner house and get more exercise these days.

But I don't have to chat to people / try and avoid workplace bitching / all the other workplace bullshit so my work still gets done. Regular wfh is the best improvement to my working life I can remember.

Today someone asked if we were supposed to have a teams meeting noon today on the UK office group chat, and I said 'I hope not, I'm in Lidl'. That sort of thing is entirely normal and expected. We are also expected to get our work done around the other stuff, of course.

I think this sort of thing replaces the non-work stuff that used to occur in the office like table football and pointless extra meetings.

Yesterday I had to tell my sixth-former son to stop with the bitches and hoes while I was trying to speak to my colleague about mineshaft liability. God knows what was on the x box but Howard really didn't need to hear it.

Wish I could work from home. Went to Central London all through lock down. The empty streets were unforgettable

It was a strange time. Weirdly I WFH mostly now, but didn't all through lockdown. I ended up doing agency work and had to travel a lot. The empty motorways and towns were something I won't forget either.

I work in the 'tech industry'. Working remotely has become the norm. But I wonder - given all the layoffs and businesses going bust - when the job market gets really bad - will we be pushed into working onsite again?

Was reflecting earlier on some of the minor benefits from being mostly at home, such as being able to time laundry with good weather for the best drying opportunities, being able to do overtime without having to travel to office, and being able to get tradesmen round without having to mess around getting a boss to agree to leaving early / coming in late / whatever.

Some of that is probably due to having a more flexible and accommodating workplace than before, but it does take a lot of unnecessary stress out of my life (and hence makes it easier to get on with the work). We have a new director of finance starting this month and I hope they don’t change the wfh arrangements too much as it works very well for me at present.

I can wfh , but hate it , so returned full-time at the office as soon as I could. Occasionally I have to be at home for reasons , might watch a load of Law & Order next time.

I can wfh , but hate it , so returned full-time at the office as soon as I could. Occasionally I have to be at home for reasons , might watch a load of Law & Order next time.
Wfh is good when the World Cup and the Euros are on. Telly on in the background quietly and have a quick look whenever there's a goal/ Ronaldo rolls around on the floor or whatever.

I also go the gym at lunch and tbh that'll take more than a hour but I'll make up the time if there's something that has to be done. Or sometimes I work 8 to 4 so I can go to gym at the end of the day but before it gets busy.

It's fascinating that, although the technology was there, wfh at scale would never have picked up without covid.

I saw research from Leesman Index who basically do massive surveys on quality of workplaces, about rating home compared to office and basically asking around 100k people, the conclusion was the average office could not compete with the average home setting for satisfaction and productivity.

One thing has happened since the return to work in the office is confusion over meetings - there is still an assumption that all meetings will be over teams/zoom whatever - so I have missed actual face to face meetings because I made that assumption :thumbs: others have too. I did prefer those meetings, particularly larger ones - just laying on the sofa with the speaker on, doing other stuff and hoping no one asked you to speak :thumbs:

I work in the 'tech industry'. Working remotely has become the norm. But I wonder - given all the layoffs and businesses going bust - when the job market gets really bad - will we be pushed into working onsite again?
I do too and wfh pretty much all the time. (I go in occasionally but more for social stuff -- my team and the people I generally work with aren't in the UK so there's not much value in being in the office anyway.)

My old company (fintech) was massively pushing for people to go back to the office even when the government advice was to keep working from home. :rolleyes: People are now meant to be in four days a week and loads left as a result. They don't seem to have problems hiring mind you -- the kids love all that swag and snacks and office drinks stuff.

I do too and wfh pretty much all the time. (I go in occasionally but more for social stuff -- my team and the people I generally work with aren't in the UK so there's not much value in being in the office anyway.)

My old company (fintech) was massively pushing for people to go back to the office even when the government advice was to keep working from home. :rolleyes: People are now meant to be in four days a week and loads left as a result. They don't seem to have problems hiring mind you -- the kids love all that swag and snacks and office drinks stuff.
My employer has been trying to force folk back to the office, but can't seem to come out and say it - so keep bringing in stuff that you can't do at home - latest wheeze is telling us we have to visit a certain number of tenants a week and complete a form which has to be sent in to be checked. I've heard some people are just ringing the tenants and filling in the form :D

Reactions: Sue
Back
Top Bottom