Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your WFH 'sins' confessed!

What are you doing at least some days, you naughty people?

• Lots of looking at urbs/social media

Votes: 47 78.3%
  • Laundry/household chores

Votes: 48 80.0%
  • A second job

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Napping

Votes: 29 48.3%
  • Boozing/getting stoned

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Dropping the odd email off outside working hours to look like you've been working the whole time

Votes: 30 50.0%
  • Extended breaks

Votes: 43 71.7%
  • Other

Votes: 24 40.0%

• Total voters
I'm technically working at the moment and am likely to bugger off entirely soon as daughter having appendix removed. No one seems to be online Friday's anyway.

Where to begin? Been self employed 20 years this August 😳 I wouldn’t call it a sin exactly, because I’m a carer. Been living here for two weeks because of my parents health crises. Did about 4 hours work yesterday, don’t have much on right now, thankfully. Absolutely no work will get done today, because I’m visiting one parent, in hospital, I’ve already been to Lidl and Morrissons and I’m caring for my mother who has a foot ulcer and is in agony, after having it debrided by a podiatrist, here at home, yesterday. Soon as the local anaesthetic wore off, the pain started. I’m knackered, but also grateful I WFH because my parents wouldn’t have coped otherwise. My brothers both WFH at least 3 days a week and they’ve been available for hospital visits and errands.

I fall into the 'liking doing a bit of both' camp. The total lack of anyone coming in was part of the reason I left my last job - I'd go in once a week for a change of scene but there would only ever be 4 or 5 other people there and not usually anyone I knew and my immediate team were mostly introvert and/or neurodiverse people who were very happy at home, or else people who lived a serious distance away.

My current job has an actually really nice office and is busy except on Fridays and so I go in twice a week. It's kind of weird as I'm in a team of 2 and my manager is now my coming in at all due to cancer treatment right now :( so I don't have an obvious person to talk to every day, but I still like being there.

I do wonder if attendance will bump up as more young people start their working lives and need to get the face time and also to get the fuck out of crappy shared houses.

It’s the company that makes wfh enjoyable
I'll be honest, if my wife weren't also WFH 4 days a week I'd go mental. I actually quit a job just before lockdown because they were selling the office and all London employees would be WFH 5 days a week. (yes, very amusing in retrospect) But I really thought I'd go loony on my own all week long.

I'll be honest, if my wife weren't also WFH 4 days a week I'd go mental. I actually quit a job just before lockdown because they were selling the office and all London employees would be WFH 5 days a week. (yes, very amusing in retrospect) But I really thought I'd go loony on my own all week long.
I bet some people would go mad in the company of their partners 24 hours a day too!
I remember once having a day off and my ex-partner deciding to take the day off too and I went into a massive sulk and ruined both of our days. :D

I'm quite lucky with my employer. Post-pandemic we've all been made hybrid workers, but you're not forced to wfh at all if you don't want to. Plenty don't and do a full week in the office.

I'm meant to go in twice a week but rarely do and nobody cares. I did 3 days in the office last week but that was unusual. If my team were there I'd go in more often but my boss is two counties away and the rest are in Devon so it's a bit pointless really. If I've a rare face-to-face meeting or need to get hold of some physical documents I'll go in, but otherwise I can do my job just fine sat here in a shorts and T-Shirt with some music on.

It wasn’t great for my mental health during lockdown either tbh, 2 days a week in the office is fine though.

I do sometimes find myself having to explain "No, but I like my spouse". As if that's a weird thing. :D

One of my last bosses every other comment about his wife seemed like a complaint and honestly I wanted to ask "why are you married then?" sometimes.

Currently being worthy and waiting to give blood whilst checking work emails.

Did a Teams meeting walking down the hill to get here because I stupidly missed the clash. Nobody minded - it was funny.

Poll fail. None of the above.

I teach English, and when I teach I have to be whole and present and on the ball.

Literally 7 hours of online meetings a day is barely enough to pay my bills (and I don't even have a car) and each minute has to be ear to the ground, eye on the ball.

Teaching in a classroom was easier, because at least there was pair work.

That’s why I hated it. Missed the company of others. Felt more accountable as well just from them being in the same room
I went back as soon as I could , there was around 6 of us (out of 80 odd Housing Officers) who initially returned 5 days a week. We'd often be asked by the WFHers if we'd do an urgent visit 🤔

I hate working from home. I manage a team of 30 people, and the move to hybrid working has been one of the most damaging things to come out of the pandemic work wise. I'd have everyone back in the office full time immediately if I could, but my job share partner got a dog over the pandemic and wouldn't agree to it, so I just have to suck it up.

(I work in a library - seems bonkers to me that we allow people to work from home half the week, but not up to me unfortunately)

I've worked from home for 18 years, being a self employed computer chap.

In 2014-2017 I'd managed to work it that I didn't have to "work" at all because I'd built machines that made the money whilst I was sleeping or on the piss. Great times.

Then Covid hit and all the people I needed to speak to were WFH. None of them ever responded. Eventually I went bust because Noone was working.

I started up again two weeks ago. I start at 5am because of Asian clients and then finish at 10pm because of Brazilian/US clients. It's really tiring. I've done 160 hours over the last 14 days.

But it will be worth it for a while to get everything going again and then I can take more time out.

When you work for yourself you get out what you put in.

Back
Top Bottom