Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How Glaswegians deal with anti-homeless spikes

weepiper

I fix the machines that fight climate change
This article or a variation of it appeared in the Scottish press yesterday

We spoke to Gerald, 29, who until a few weeks ago, called the location in question his home. He's been sleeping rough on the streets of Glasgow for the past eight years.

“I used to sleep down there. As you can see there’s big, yellow, metal things to stop me and my brother, Paul, sleeping there. I was up staying with a friend for a couple of nights in Maryhill. When I came back, all the metal had been put down."

This morning a stand-up fella of me and Fedayn's acquaintance took the matter into his own hands and removed them :D

He said: “It annoyed me when it happened in London, so I thought it would be hypocritical not to do something when it’s on my doorstep.

“It disgusts me. I don’t know the guys who put them up but I hope they didn’t go home happy at doing a good day's work.

“Their jobs might have been on the line but morals come first. Anyone putting them up must have known it wasn’t right.

“If it happens somewhere else in the city, I’ll go and do it again."

*round of applause*

A bit daft of the council to just secure them with ordinary bolts. Fair play to the bloke who's taken them away though.

e2a: Those yellow triangle bits at the end look rather nasty and could easily hurt someone who tripped and fell onto them. Another example of being spiteful towards an 'undesirable' minority coming before the safety of the the general public.

it's probably one of those private land things where the council sold the pavement.

No, the council was quite cross about it

Glasgow City Council have since issued letters to the property owners instructing them to remove the spikes within seven days or face being charged by the council to remove them.

Govan Councillor James Adams said the local authority would never advocate the use of such a device.

He said: “So-called homeless spikes are absolutely not the way to deal with homelessness. If that’s what this is, then I condemn it unreservedly.‪

“This pavement is owned and maintained by the council meaning permission would be needed to install something like this.‪

“The council has not given permission for this contraption and will not give permission for anything like it in future."

Not cross enough to immediately remove them and bin them though :D

he should be calling the scrap-man to come and collect the scrap metal at the same time. Would be a much tidier job

Back
Top Bottom