Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How does our home phone link to VOIP?

Sasaferrato

Super Refuser!
As massive change is coming with regard to landline telephony, I can't be the only person who is wondering how it is going to work.

We have a quad system, base station in the hall, three wireless satellites in other rooms.

I've just had a look at the base station, other than a standard phone socket, it has no connection point.

Help please.

As massive change is coming with regard to landline telephony, I can't be the only person who is wondering how it is going to work.

We have a quad system, base station in the hall, three wireless satellites in other rooms.

I've just had a look at the base station, other than a standard phone socket, it has no connection point.

Help please.
I had a base station in the hallway plugged into the telephone socket with 2 wireless satellites (1 in my office and and 1 in the kitchen). Virgin Media moved me to VoIP by sending me an adapter which I plugged into my router which has 2 phone sockets on it as well as 4 ethernet ones. I then unplugged the base station from the phone socket in the hallway and plugged it into the adapter which I plugged into the router.
All well and good save that the adapter cable was like 3 sodding inches long and the router is in the living room behind the TV so the base station is now hidden behind the TV sat on top of a speaker.
I don't actually know why I couldn't plug the cable straight into the router but my guess is that there is an analogue to digital converter in the adapter that there isn't in the router.
They gave me a date and time that the great switchover would happen but I just moved the phone the weekend before and managed without a landline for a few days not that it gets used much.

Help please.
Won't they either do it the cabinet and still present via two/four wire connection to the existing socket or send you an adaptor to plug into your router that will present as a standard socket?

Also on a simalar note 2g and 3g mobiles are ending. They are closing 3g first next year before 2g. I only found that out about 2 weeks ago. I have got a 4g sim and hopefully can do a sim swap later when i get home.
I have established my samsung galaxy s6 supports 4g but not my current sim card.

Probably not. It's no biggie. You'll just plug it into your router instead.
The orange plastic fences said something about super fibre broadband information revolution good thing, so that we wouldn’t be too annoyed about the drilling and the obstructions. Surely they wouldn’t be putting in something that’s just going to be switched off in 18 months?

Oh…

The orange plastic fences said something about super fibre broadband information revolution good thing, so that we wouldn’t be too annoyed about the drilling and the obstructions. Surely they wouldn’t be putting in something that’s just going to be switched off in 18 months?

Oh…

They could be putting in a whole new broadband network, that's what CityFibre have been doing around here, it'll be 'open network' for any providers to use, like BT Openreach's network, we also have the Virgin network, but that's exclusive to Virgin.

They could be putting in a whole new broadband network, that's what CityFibre have been doing around here, it'll be 'open network' for any providers to use, like BT Openreach's network, we also have the Virgin's network, but that's exclusive to Virgin.
Get ready for LOADS of junk snail mails. I must have had 30 letters from city fibre and their partner vodafone since they dug my street up a few months ago. Plus at least one door knocker :mad:

Get ready for LOADS of junk snail mails. I must have had 30 letters from city fibre and their partner vodafone since they dug my street up a few months ago. Plus at least one door knocker :mad:

Oh, I've already had shit loads of junk mail about it, but no door knocker(s), as I have a 'no cold callers' sticker by the doorbell.

I intend to make the change, but I'll be moving to a local independent Worthing based provider, because they are slighter cheaper than the big boys, and customer service is provided locally, they have a shop in town, and as an added bonus I know the two directors, and have the mobile number for one of them.

No fibre is the new thing.

Perhaps, but not here. We have a 4G router with unlimited data and 80-150Mbps download speeds (under £14pm for 24 months). We're away for a few days and I'll pop the data SIM in my dual-sim 4G smart phone.

Plus you're online a day after you order it. No regrets dumping our landline and I'm not tempted by VM even though it runs down our street. When our contract is up I intend to pop in an unlimited iDmobile SIM.

If we were in a 5G area I'd trial that but 4G is already much faster than we need.

Yes. I shall be putting in a claim for that as and when the switch over happens

I'm permanently on WiFi calling and I'm asthmatic and over 60, all cards I enjoy playing. Free electric over blanket from octopus and a few back up battery from who ever

Back
Top Bottom