Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How do Icons die? how do stars fade and cease to be?

If you are genuinely iconic, a few scandals or dumb moves can't topple you. Eastwood was never an icon to me. He always stood for right wing values, be that as Dirty Harry, his most famous role, the subtext of several of his films as a director or as a politician. But that also means this isn't some major surprise.
With time I think Good Bad & Ugly has become his iconic film - currently #9 in the all time top rated films list on IMDB IMDb Top 250 - IMDb

Though is Clint the icon in that? Id say The Man WIth No Name is....

I think Clint Eastwood is probably now as iconic as John Wayne. Certainly his films are more recent and not all the same genre.

Yes, I was the one to bring up race. I feel that black, Asian, etc people are often left out of these things. We can't just blame it on Hollywood alone...
We have to blame a rabidly racist 20th Century America and by extension Hollywood for the lack of major pre-60s film stars of colour and nobody else. Why, who do you think is to blame ?

Actually surely a modern and up to date icon is Harry Potter, massively successful books and films making Daniel Radcliffe probably one of the most recognisable faces in the western world.

I may have mentioned that characters are bigger than the actors who play them now. Look at all the superhero films. And the actors who play those roles keep getting replaced via reboots, they are not as important. Daniel Radcliffe may be one of the most recognisable faces, but any film that isn't Harry Potter won't necessarily be a success just because he is in it.

I may have mentioned that characters are bigger than the actors who play them now. Look at all the superhero films. And the actors who play those roles keep getting replaced via reboots, they are not as important. Daniel Radcliffe may be one of the most recognisable faces, but any film that isn't Harry Potter won't necessarily be a success just because he is in it.
I know he has done other stuff but I haven't seen him in anything else.

So perhaps JK Rowling is more famous now and perhaps iconic than he is.

Is there Sense of icons channelling through their successors? As the successor rises so the predecessor fades. So Eastwood epitomises much the same values as Wayne but in a way that was more acceptable for my generation. In almost a punk way. Does that make sense?

Does anybody actually still watch his films ? There are silent films which have aged well, but not his. The name may still be known to some for having been the first male movie heartthrob, but otherwise his work is largely forgotten.
I thought Rudolph Valentino fitted the remit of the thread (How do Icons die? how do stars fade and cease to be?) perfectly.
He was absolutely massive and now is largely unknown to anyone under the age of 101. That's how Icons fade and die, time and memory.

I thought Rudolph Valentino fitted the remit of the thread (How do Icons die? how do stars fade and cease to be?) perfectly.
He was absolutely massive and now is largely unknown to anyone under the age of 101. That's how Icons fade and die, time and memory.
And that's despite serious attempts to revive him as an icon. Hasn't really worked.

che-guevara_2337.PNG

An iconic image even when the people putting up the posters did not know who he was.

I know he has done other stuff but I haven't seen him in anything else.

So perhaps JK Rowling is more famous now and perhaps iconic than he is.
Her creation is.

Daniel Radcliffe has been in lots of stuff since Harry Potter. He is doing the smart thing and rather than appearing in more blockbusters, he takes challenging roles on the stage and in interesting indie films. This year he is in two well received films, Imperium in which he plays and FBI agent who goes undercover as a Neo-Nazi and Swiss Army Man, a black comedy in which he plays a farting corpse (yes, really !)

brooks.jpg

Louise Brooks, a silent movie actress who had a relatively brief career and only appeared in a handful of films, is now more far famous than all of the bigger female stars of the era. She now is considered a timeless style icon who gets referenced in film and fashion and is much imitated. Watching her films now, she comes across as incredibly contemporary in her naturalisitic acting style and in her personality. She makes most of her contemporaries look theatrical and old fashioned. Unlike many other stars of the period, her type of beauty doesn't look of another time, she would still be considered beautiful now.

She didn't even have to die young to become an icon. She faded into obscurity during the 30s, had a pretty rough life, got rediscovered in the late 50s and then with he help of a benefactor who rescued her from poverty, she reinvented herself as a writer and died an old woman.

Last edited:
I guess I don't know so much what makes a person an icon or not but I do know about motorbikes and in biking circles there are models which are iconic. They usually were the standout performers of their era and there are iconic bikes from the modern and older eras. One way you can tell which the iconic bikes are, or were is that they tend to hold their value or even appreciate.

We have to blame a rabidly racist 20th Century America and by extension Hollywood for the lack of major pre-60s film stars of colour and nobody else. Why, who do you think is to blame ?

There are stars since. And yet, people of colour oft seem to be left out. So; I'd blame us. Not that it's done maliciously or conciously, mind. And that's just my view, so not gospel. Or scientific.

Too young to tell. First generation fans are still in their 40s
You what ????? First generation fans of Elvis Costello would be at least in their fifties. For Elvis Presley who I assume was being referred to it would be mid seventies and up.

Audrey Hepburn still seems to have retained iconic status. Can't think of many other classic Hollywood stars who aren't now steadily receding into the distance.

You what ????? First generation fans of Elvis Costello would be at least in their fifties. For Elvis Presley who I assume was being referred to it would be mid seventies and up.

Audrey Hepburn still seems to have retained iconic status. Can't think of many other classic Hollywood stars who aren't now steadily receding into the distance.
Maybe I worded it wrong. I meant to say fans from when Elvis was still alive. I count myself among these and I'm still only 49.

But as a genuine first generation fan of the other Elvis I think your calculations are slightly off.

Maybe I worded it wrong. I meant to say fans from when Elvis was still alive. I count myself among these and I'm still only 49.

But as a genuine first generation fan of the other Elvis I think your calculations are slightly off.
I guess I misunderstood what you meant by first generation fans to mean fans when they were first successful.

On that basis Elvis C's first hits were in 1977. I assumed a spread of ages and took 15 as a median point. Those in their early twenties then are now in their early sixties.

Sadly it's always later than you think :)

I guess I misunderstood what you meant by first generation fans to mean fans when they were first successful.

On that basis Elvis C's first hits were in 1977. I assumed a spread of ages and took 15 as a median point. Those in their early twenties then are now in their early sixties.

Sadly it's always later than you think :)
I'm still 49 though :p:D

Well since we're killing people off here, ;) I don't think there will be quite the same reaction to Paul Mac's demise. I'm not sure how widespread the feeling was when Lennon died, but I even have the feeling that Lennon is fading somewhat now.

Having iconic images of you knocking around ( the Che effect) surely helps - Marylin, Bowie certainly had heaps of those.
He coulda been a contender:
maxresdefault.jpg

Lauren Bacall.
Ingrid Bergman.
Montgomery Clift.
Not sure about Clift. Can't remember any films of his. Wouldn't recognise him. There's probably a You Must Remember This podcast about him.
Speaking of which, y'all should listen to it if you're interested in these icons. The last one I heard was about Ida Lupino, who I think It would be correct to describe as a forgotten icon. Then there's actors such as Kay Francis and Robert Taylor and endless others who were matinee idols but pretty much forgotten these days

Back
Top Bottom