Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How do Icons die? how do stars fade and cease to be?

Years ago, I saw one of Monroe's dresses from SLIH at the Museum of the Moving Image. It was tiny and certainly not a size 14 as we know it...
I remember that, I used to work there in the early 90s. :)

Reactions: Sue
I went to many of those at the Barbican and the BFI and I miss them. Here in Berlin we have one cinema which does that, but its nearly always Metropolis, a film which I don't even like much. :(

Like it. So influential, but not everyone's cup of tea.

Loved attending the showings, early Hitchcock films etc ... just for the feeling of stepping back in time.

Wasn't fancy, just the local town hall.

I went to many of those at the Barbican and the BFI and I miss them. Here in Berlin we have one cinema which does that, but its nearly always Metropolis, a film which I don't even like much. :(

Odd as I've always thought of Berlin as an arty city and also as the place where half of all the enduring silent movies were made; or at least half the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

Like it. So influential, but not everyone's cup of tea.

Loved attending the showings, early Hitchcock films etc ... just for the feeling of stepping back in time.

Wasn't fancy, just the local town hall.
I think there are 20 to 30 minutes of amazing imagery in Metropolis, but politically it's dumb and in its restored versions, once they passed the 2 hour mark, I find it tedious. I'd pick Murnau's Sunshine over Metropolis any time, also an expresist ist fantasy about the big city, but I think a far more involving and intelligent film.
Odd as I've always thought of Berlin as an arty city and also as the place where half of all the enduring silent movies were made; or at least half the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.
It's a big city, but culturally it can't compare itself to London. There are occasional silent film seasons, but Metropolis gets shown every month at the same cinema with an orchestra and they alternate it with the 1927 Berlin: Symphonie of a Great City, which is historically interesting but not a very good film.

Back
Top Bottom