Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How do I dissolve hardened limescale on bathroom sink taps?

We live in a hard water area, and our taps have built up hardened limescale around their bases which won't scrub off. Has anyone had any confirmed success with anything in particualr? By which I mean, you know from experience that something works, not that you think it might work.

Sorry to sound so abrupt, but I need to know for sure so I don't end up buying up half of Wilkos based on someone's guesses or maybes - and none of it works. :)

Thankees! :)

It would help to know what type of taps you have, there are products that are going to strip the plating off certain types of taps but might be ok on stainless steel for example.

Cleaning vinegar. Stronger than table vinegar. Could mix into a paste with sodium bicarbonate. Sorry to be boring 😊

A good example, don't put vinegar or vinegar/bicarb mix anywhere near plated taps

Bicarb would defeat the worth of the vinegar.
I used white vinegar soaked in bog roll in the past when I could be bothered ... or it may have been hydroponic grade phosphoric acid - so maybe diet coke ?
If the taps can handle it, harpic bog cleaner is hydrochloric acid I think ...

My taps aren't very bad because it's just me and I bathe a lot less than most ...

Last edited:
Can I just say, if you ever are replacing taps and have to choose new ones, don't get plated ones they are a right fucker when it comes to cleaning, every fucking thing damages them.

End of public service announcement :D

It would help to know what type of taps you have, there are products that are going to strip the plating off certain types of taps but might be ok on stainless steel for example.
I didn't know there were different types o' taps. Normal shiny stainless steel / aluminium ones, I guess?

I just did a Google for "plated taps" and found this in teh results:

"How are taps made? All taps are made from cast brass that's either been plated in chrome or gold. Chrome plating is by far the most popular finish and is extremely durable."

So what I thought was aluminium is in fact chrome plating? Okay....

I didn't know there were different types o' taps. Normal shiny stainless steel / aluminium ones, I guess?

Excellent news!

I've got these fuckers (here when I bought the place, not my choice) only they don't look like this any more because the finish gets worn and damaged easily, you can't clean them as easily, absolute bloody nightmare. You can also get chrome plated taps, which can have similar issues.

Taps.JPG

Like I said above, turns out ALL taps are plated. :-(

They are coated, but how it is done and what the material is makes a difference to how durable the finish is. My old gold plated taps are true plated taps and the finish is fragile.
Newer finishes that are done in a modern method where they are dipped and the coating is nickel or newer chrome type of taps will be more resistant to damage.

I use Viakal on taps. You can use the edge of a wet 2p coin to rub hardened limescale off taps - it hasn’t hurt mine!
Citric acid mixed to a paste is great on the chinaware but I haven’t tried it on taps. Wilkos never have any in stock around here so I get it from Amazon.

Cleaning vinegar. Stronger than table vinegar. Could mix into a paste with sodium bicarbonate. Sorry to be boring 😊
The bicarb will neutralise the vinegar.

I use cleaning vinegar which I put in a bag which I tie on the taps. This way I can soak the tap for a while. Depending on how bad the limescale is I then rinse and repeat.

Reactions: izz
The main thing is to get the acid to stick to the limescale to give it time to dissolve it. You can either use a proprietary product which will usually have a clingy gel-like consistency, or you can wrap the area in paper towels soaked in e.g. vinegar or critic acid. After either method has been left to soak, just brush/scrape/scour the scale off easily.

Vinegar or citric acid have been my weapons of choice for removing limescale - the later also worked [slowly] on an iron stain at a my father's house. He had a galvanised water tank in the loft (since replaced) with quite aggressive soft water. I think my brother is slowly replacing runs of copper pipe with the proper plastic ones.

I was brought up in an area with extremely hard water, but I forget what was used at home to shift the limescale. The hot water cylinder had a water softener on the incoming supply, so it was only the kettle that needed periodic cleaning.

Reactions: izz
Long term, I can't recommend a water softener enough.

Place we moved into two and half years ago had terrible scale on the taps and sinks.

Brought the softener from the last place with us and now all the taps and sinks are free from scale.

I'm really impressed and quite surprised as at the last place, I had the bathroom done after getting the softener so scale never built up in there so there was never a 'before and after' situation and the kitchen sink always had a bit of scale due to the unsoftened cold main. Here, it's quite a difference from when we moved in. Wish I'd taken pics before to compare.

Oh, and my hair and skin feels great ;)

Actually, that's true. I do have dry skin and it does make a difference.

< limescale bump >
I recently used a mixture of vinegar and lemon juice, soaked a cloth in it, wrapped the cloth tightly round the taps with elastic bands, left it for an hour, and the results were impressive, managed to get rid of most/all the limescale buildup.
However there are some pitted or bumpy bits (these were there before I cleaned off the vinegar / lemon) - so I was wondering if anyone could recommend some sort of touchup fluid (or metal paint)?

PS These were lever taps, which is easier on my wrists cos of the arthritis; I'm replacing all my taps with the lever ones - stainless steel ones were a bit more expensive but I hope worth it.

Back
Top Bottom